General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

I am calling it quits. I am not really cut out for this online posting. I have no idea what I can say in reference to today's postings and don't feel that my last post was particularly helpful.

Thanks for your support.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

CatR - I think your last post was very nice and well planned and would be helpful. I do understand how online posting can take up time and we all have things that need to be done. I wish you'd stay. I understand if you have to leave. Please do try and check in once in awhile.

I found the Dance Dance R. To be a really good workout. It had me log in my weight which is password protected. (non of my son's friend can see my weight) It lets you choose how to workout. I took out jumping since I have horrible knees. I could choose to workout a certain amount of time or by calories. It very nice. Right now I'm still figuring out stuff... As far as the workout it reminds me of a workout dvd you bring home and think I'm never going to be able to do that and after awhile you can. When I started I was stumbling now I'm not doing to bad and I'm only on training. LOL it's lot of fun!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Height: 5'4"

CatR- Don't give up! We are all working at our own pace,some are further along then in the book than others.I am not a big poster online either but I feel a connection with this group.I find your posts very helpful and it helps all of us to see others get frustrated and down sometimes.As I read daily I can see myself in others posts,we have good days and we have bad days.We get moody and we want to give up,I was quiting on Thur and Fri but I am feeling a bit better and know quiting is not an option.When I was feeling down CostalSue wrote to me"We both will back on progam as of this minute-we want to be thinner and this is the only way." I appreciated that and I do believe it is the only way.Also BillBlue Eyes reminded me of his advantage card"My Body,My Path" when I felt I wasn't losing weight as fast as others in my WW group.If posting is very time consuming just post a check in when you have the time.

costalsue-Great job on all your planning and recording of calories and hunger levels.I agree wholeheartedly what you said about a small incident causing a major tailspin.I would like to forget Thur and Fri all together but this is a process and I will learn more.

maryblu-I give you credit for evaluating your plan and making a commitment "to just suck it up and get serious, stop whining and just do it"

BillBlueEyes-I have to tell you 19500 is a heck of a lot of steps! Your other post regarding desire for food brought to mind someting from day 23 counter the unfairness syndrome."Dieting might not be fair--Everyone experiences some kind of unfairness in life.This is mine." I do believe this is my unfairness also,I will have to continue working at this the rest of my life.The chapter does end with"Once I stop telling myself that dieting isn't fair,dieting will be easier." I do understand though that you are not dieting you are maintaining which will last forever.I tend to think this will be my weakness forever to be managed,not drinking,not smoking,not drugs.Also I think of the alcoholics and drug addicts I meet at work.They have to be viligant at their meetings, working their steps and helping others with the same problems.They have to do it for life if they expect to stay sober.So many also avoid their substance for years,become complacent,slack off,or have a high stress episode and then have a relapse.I expect food is like this for me.

hbuchwald-Have a great vacation!!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #109  

I forgot to mention myself,I am doing the ww core plan and have followed it Sat and Sun,so far.I hope to see better results at the scale Thur,although my scale at home shows a 3 lb gain after my binge Thur and Fri feeling sorry for myself.WW core gives an extensive list of foods to eat that do not have to be counted.Healthier foods,vegetables fruits,lean meats and whole grains do not have to be weighed or measured.Also a few points are given for extras.Sometimes when doing the flex plan I get into the habit of eating too many snacks,treats or sweets even if I stay in my points.Core is healthier for me overall but bread and lowfat dairy are not included.Only fat free dairy ,dressings,mayo can be used unless you use the few points.I dislike some of the fatfree dressings,cheese ect..But I am going to work at it.I bought some new grains to try,polenta,barley and kasha.No swimming since Mon. due to weather and my back.I will be returning Mon eve.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 206/206/175

Height: 5'8"

Cool How to get started

I went to a Beck seminar and I am hooked. I bought the book as well asthe workbook. I have been procrastinating getting started. Any words of wisdom from anyone who's been following it. What the best way to get started? Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome iloveme2008

iloveme2008

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, for the special event of your first post on 3 Fat Chicks,

You are the first person posting here who I remember who has attended a Beck seminar. What a great introduction her program.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Happy Birthday, Presidents

Diet Coaches - Some friends had us for dinner last night - a real pleasure because the hostess served modest portions (with seconds available from the kitchen if desired) including a dessert served in a tiny bowl with small spoon. I ate solidly on plan by eating exactly the same as the other three. But did one better, I left some baked potato on my plate. Leaving food is difficult for me. So, CREDIT moi.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Thanks for the reminder, "One thing about all moods-they exist, but they always go away after a while." Hard to scold you for your debauchery when your writing makes it sound so appealing, LOL. But, Kudos for getting right back on track. Like moods, parties go away after a while. NSV stands for Non Scale Victory, meaning any positive step other than weight loss numbers.

MaryBlu - Good luck with your paper today. Thanks for the reminder that being mindful is a lifetime struggle. You can expect me to come back periodically with the desire for a reprieve, LOL. And thanks for the reminder, "stop whining and just do it."

wendy (wendylan) - Good luck with your core plan and your stack of new grains. What kind of polenta did you get? Thank you for the insight that my desire to be spared my focus on food might be interpreted as a feeling of the unfairness syndrome, per Program-day 23. I'll go review that.

CatR - When I read your Program-day 11 discussion, even though I've read it several times myself and even posted a discussion about it myself, I saw in your description a new way to see desire for food as a learning process. That perspective was a gift from you and I'm grateful for it. Your posts carry insights and understandings that are a real contribution to this group. I do hope that you are able to find the time to be able to continue.

Your last post reminds me that I, too, frequently don't have an insight on how to respond to a specific post. What I do is to just respond to the part that I do understand. One of the great gifts to me from this group is their responses that show me an understanding that I missed.

If you do decide to take a hiatus, recall that it's been previously written on this thread something like:
After a hiatus, just post from the current day; the history of why and where are not required.
Mez (mezmerize) - Neat that you can tailor the workout on your Wii - that certainly gives it an advantage over a DVD.

iloveme2008 - I can't imagine a better way to start Beck than to 1) Take a Beck seminar, 2) Post on 3FC to start your support group, and 3) Identify three items of your Advantages Response Card in your 3FC Additional Information, "Right now I am interested in becoming more fit and healthy to be able to live my life to the fullest!" You're on a roll! Next is to start the reading. When it seems right for you, you can leap ahead of where you are in your reading to join the group discussion as we review the book together. We're on Program-day 11 (initiated by CatR) right now and will probably progress more slowly than you will read.

Readers – "Most dieters who end up in my office…have such thoughts as:
… This is hard. I don’t want to keep dieting. …
If any of these thought sound familiar to you, you’re the perfect candidate for the Beck Diet Solution." Beck, pg 18.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default the (changing) Beck team

Thanks, CatR for your work with our group. I hope you will hang out and stay with us from time to time as you choose. I think BillBE has done a great job of keeping us all from feeling pressure to contribute if we don't feel up to it. That said, I have felt badly at times for just posting what was on my mind rather than some "deep" Beck insight. I think we all can/should resist feeling guilty because:

a. there are enough other life situations for us to feel guilty about

and

b. This team/group does do more than just post about "I ate this, have to get back OP"...we really do. You just never know when something you read from someone else just grabs you and rings true, and you never know when you will be the one to post just what someone else needs at that time.

Welcome iloveme2008. The great thing about Beck is you get to read and study for 2 weeks before you start a diet.....and all the steps leading up that are great preparation; they really are.

Now, for accountability, my paper is done, and I am looking forward to just kicking butt with the BDS. I am ready to behave sanely when it comes to food.

And for the record, I am committing to forgeting the unfairness thing. I am so OVER that. Cancer is unfair. Mental illness is unfair......this preoccupation with food..this love affair with food...not so bad as unfairness goes....and the BDS gives us all the tools we need to cope. C'mon, it could be gambling addiction, etc. etc...we are all smart, rationale (even though we can all behave pretty darned irrationaly where food is concerned!) and we are PROACTIVE, as evidenced by our committment to BDS.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #114  

welcome iloveme2008 !!!!!
Stayed on my core today,learned I don't mind brown rice instead of white.Not sure about this polenta,it is Foood Merchants Brand organic sundried tomato garlic in a tube.I could not find it at regular store so I had to go to heathfood store. I fried it in 1 tsp of olive oil sliced thin and with brown rice and jalapenos.I made tacos for the kids and I ate some of the meat with salsa with the polenta and rice.Polenta tasted funny and mushy,maybe someone has a better recipe.Anyway back to swim tonight 7:30 sharp, my back is almost back to it's old self.Don't know how people deal with longterm back pain.My husband fell off our roof 2 years ago and broke ribs and part of his back,he still has pain alot of the time.He was lucky though that he didn't end up paralyzed or unable to work.Have a good night everyone. wendy
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #115  

Hello all,

Welcome to iloveme2008. Love your name-as doing Beck is about loving ourselves to become healthier. Starting with the advantage cards-really looking at why I wanted to lose-really wanted to lose was the best start for me.

CatR-hope you do come back--Just telling your day is fine enough of a posting. I love reading about everyone's successes, sharing frustrations and recipes. MaryBlu said the best about never know when something you write grabs someone or some else's posting will grab you. I know sometimes my posting may not sense to another one else, but I learned more about me just writing the stuff.

Well I decided that I need some thing else to give me a dieting boost. I dabbled with WW, then did calorie counting for months-But I am so tired of not losing, I going to do some SlimFast for a week or two. I know that it is only temperary but needed a change, I think my craving and desiring food has been increasing so I hoping having fewer choices for a week or so may make me more appreciative of remaining with more healthy choices. Been doing a good job swimming-up to an Hr today. Finally have a swimming buddie a couple days a week-really helps to meet someone at the pool. The lack of yummy fresh veggies is really getting boring-Also a bit tired of citrus, bananas and apple-ready for some fresh berries soon.

Tonight I saw the French movie-The Diving Bell and the Butterfly-very well done about a man who lves in a state of total paralysis and could only communicate by blinking his left eyelid.-an increditable story of a human spirit.

WendyLan-success to you doing the core WW-Hang in there as it is so disappointing not to see the scales go down. I am so determined to get out of the 300's soon but my body is letting go of the weight soo slowly I just made a vegetarian dish with marinara sauce, eggplant, zucinni and sliced some of the tube polenta about the dish-along with mozzerella cheese-pleasant winter dish-quick/easy. Have a good swim tonight.

BillBlueEyes how fun to share a dinner with friends and not have to deal with all the food issues-Too often food is the elephant in the room which no else sees but I can not ignore-even if I don't eat I'm saying non eating mantras the whole evening. credit for plate remains!!

MaryBlu-I intellectually agree that the idea of the feelings of "unfairness" of being on food plan is bit much given some of the other health problems which are so much difficult to heal. That said I still get so tired of the planning, recording and limiting my choices. And as you said there is enought for us to feel guilty about without getting too upset if occassionally we admit this is darn hard-not impossible but darn hard! That is my mood tonight-but it will change!!

Mezmerize-glad your dancing doing you right. What is a Wii?

Heidi-Hope you are happy in the happiest place-My kids loved the place for years.

sue
Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Goodby Ruby Tuesday. Who could hang a name on you?

Diet Coaches - Got on track with my gym and walking on Monday's holiday. CREDIT moi. Had the best lunch - hot lentils (dal) over cold broccoli slaw. Just a great combination of temperatures, flavors, and textures. I'll pack that for my lunch today.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for the swimming. Good luck with the injection of Slim-Fast for a few weeks. Seems like accepting responsibility to take an action to break out of a plateau. It gives me hope for civilization that there exists someone on planet earth who doesn't know what a Wii is. That, Sue, makes the life you've designed for yourself seem sooooooo appealing.

MaryBlu - Kudos for finishing your paper. Yeah for the thought, "there are enough other life situations for us to feel guilty about." When not feeling guilt, all my resources are available to correct a problem. E.g., a gazillion people can ride bicycles because, when they begin to tilt left, they adjust by leaning right. But, there is a group of people who CAN'T ride bicycles. Seems that when they begin to tilt left, they panic, and keep tilting till they fall over. My vision is that thinking like a thin person is like riding a bicycle, so to get there, I have to work my head stuff that produces guilt because I've tilted left rather than just leaning right. And you, MaryBlu, are superb at reminding me that the Beck strategies are the best thing I know about to correct that head stuff.

wendy (wendylan) - Glad your back is calming down. Thanks for the polenta info - I didn't know it sold in a tube. I'll have to try that. Polenta is easy for me to like since I like grits.

Readers – "Most dieters who end up in my office…have such thoughts as:
… I’ll never lose weight.
If any of these thought sound familiar to you, you’re the perfect candidate for the Beck Diet Solution." Beck, pg 18.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #117  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hello my coaches,

Had a rough eating weekend. We had a brunch birthday party for my son, and after spending an entire day baking and decorating a 3-tiered cake and cupcakes, and baking french toast casserole and breakfast pizzas, with all the stress and the work and the fridge so full of party food leftovers we were calling for backup every time we opened the door because it was scary full. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Too tired to plan meals, too tired to exercise when I got home from class last night. Not just head tired but body tired too. Too tired to cook MORE food of the low-calorie variety.

So yep, I ate a fair number of non-plan meals (since there was no plan and the smell of bacon everywhere). While being annoyingly aware of backseat driving on my own thinking. Every time I'd had a thought like "I'm too exhausted to make something different, and I DESERVE to eat pastry" I'd almost immediately have another Beckie thought. Got to the point where I just got tired of my brain switching modes.

Today I brought a giant platter of leftovers into work. It took about 15 minutes for them to disappear - reminded me of old National Geographic footage of piranha devouring an entire cow. Tomorrow I'll deposit something else. I'm recalling the piece about changing your environment, and I'm feeling a little conflicted about pushing my pastry smack in the office and making it someone else's problem, but no one seems to mind, and there are a lot of thin young guys going to town on it. Some of the food DH wants to keep (the kid loves the casserole) so I'll learn to ignore it at home. I just don't want it to go bad. Funny, huh? I don't want to waste good food, so I leave it on a counter in the kitchenette for other (thin) people. Still thinking about how I want to handle the cake. I made it from scratch, and it turned out so beautifully a friend has asked me to do her wedding cake. It's my son's first birthday cake. It tastes fabulous. It's made from good fresh ingredients. And I know at the end of the day, my body only recognizes it as calories, and the birthday party is over, and my child is no longer an infant, whether or not I continue to eat cake. I've got a standing meeting on Wednesdays with a group who eats my cakes and won't have any issue with taking care of it for me, but the idea of not having any more makes me feel sad. I think, one more piece, and somehow it's tied up with my sadness at my baby getting older. In what universe does eating cake keep your babies from growing up? I'll be making another one in a week or so to start practicing two new techniques I'll need for the wedding cake, and I won't have trouble giving THAT cake to the steering committee at the Wednesday meeting. Somehow this particular cake has magical baby-related properties that demand I eat more of it.

Do I actually sound as insane as I think I do? Criminy... staying perfectly on plan for almost three weeks and I feel like I set myself up. Since it didn't last forever, and now I'm not sure how you work in things like small pieces of your baby boy's 1st birthday cake. Or how you work them in without having a neurotic meltdown. Or just how to occassionally eat a piece of cake without getting completely derailed (can't recall precisely which number of thinking mistakes I'm managed to hit, but at least 2 or 3). Once again, ugh. And rationally I know that I didn't go completely crazy. (How can you, with that voice whispering big-girl, responsible STUFF in your head all day, when you want to stomp your foot and stuff your face like a 3 year old?) Had a little water retention but that's gone now.

Wow, this has gotten kind of long. Thanks for staying with me! I didn't write down my plan for today, but I've got all the usual food in all the usual portions. Will get back to writing it all down tomorrow.

Do you all try to work cake (or whatever your version of it is) into your plans?

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #118  

Default Wow! Great Beck minds!

CoastalSue:

My post today was going to be about automating my eating for a while....and there you are:

"I think my craving and desiring food has been increasing so I hoping having fewer choices for a week or so"

Good for you; I hope it works. The other thing about it is that it might help you feel good about a little less volume. When I am not over-eating, I get a real pleasure about not being so stuffed.

I have noticed that I feel more alert, more capable, much more energetic during the day when I am somewhat hungry. I like it.

Drs. Oz and Roizen recommend it in You on a Diet They recommend eating the same breakfast and lunch every day for some time and choosing from a few standard dinner choices. It is helpful to make things automatic..No Choice..

Meg on maintainers talks about eating a lot of the same foods regularly, and the National Wt. Loss Registry lists it as one of the tactics that maintainers use.

I have been reading the Medifast thread for some time. The part that appeals to me besides the quick results is the automated No Choice part.

So, I am automating. I will use 2 cards a lot....I have a specfic advantage card.....feeling at my very best late in March during a presentation I will be making, and the "No Choice" card....I just don't want to have to make choices. Automated eating will take so much of the focus off food...just eat it for the nutrition, not for the other pleasures of food right now.

I am telling myself if I automate and use the "No choice" card, then writing down what I eat (hate the discipline it takes to do that, but it is so powerful, so effective) will be a lot easier.

I am pretty determined about this, and Sue, you GO, GIRL!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #119  

Default Beck voices!

Kuhljeanie,

I was so excited to reply to Sue, I didn't even offer a word of empathy for you. I had to lol, though at:

"Every time I'd had a thought like "I'm too exhausted to make something different, and I DESERVE to eat pastry" I'd almost immediately have another Beckie thought. Got to the point where I just got tired of my brain switching modes.
"

It is so cool that Beck is speaking so forcefully to you already.

I really have a different approach to the cake thing than I pick up from Beck. I say, "yes, work it in". If it is that important to you, then work it in. There is nothing in Beck that says you can't, other than we you read about her own personal behavior, you would think she is perfect..lol..I say that with great affection.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #120  

hi all,

had an ok day- had to fight wanting a "bite" of anything edible that I saw. kind of abnormal for me to have some many food desires-. Right now my brain is too easily overstimulated by food. Thanks for the support for the slimfast-I was ready for a change and I agree with you Maryblu about few choices-in fact I did that for months-then sort of snapped and added small portions of other foods-now I need to return to those few choice but just can not do the same ones again. One thing about the slimfast plan is that they recommend more calories earlier in the day than I was eating- more calories for breakfast and lunch and then more snacks during the day. I sort of like it. They then encourage a meal of about 500 cals(for me) for dinner-lots of veggies, some protein and some starches. Tonight I made tofu stir fry-yumm. I did the Medifast about 15 yrs ago-lost quickly and alot but I didn't learn to change my habits so regained it and more-bet working Beck and doing it would be much more successful. To a thinner you for the March presentation.
Really been pushing myself swimming- a bit tired and stiff-but feel so relaxed-Plan to swim again tomarrow.

BillBlueEyes-Hope you enjoyed being back in the gym. yes, I love my odd world up here on the rural coast. The shopping we have is grocery and hardware stores but I enjoyed not having the chain stores clammering for my money.

KulhJeanie - Your party was increditable but so much work-On top of all of your other activities it sounds like you are also a great pastry/cake chef. Wise to bring in leftovers to the young, active and thin-who actually based upon my sons can eat like piranhas. Interesting connections of the cake to your son's milestone of being one year old. Such tricky emotions can tied to foods and events. Could it work to cut the cake up and freeze the pieces for smaller servings over time? I get that I hate to cook feeling and have some frozen stuff for those moments. My favorite is 1/2 of calif kitchen Silician pizza which is 465 cals.

About having treats for me-At times is works very well to a small planned and measured treat each day-other times it seems to trigger cravings and desire for more. So I go back and forth based upon how in control I feel on my plan.
I have to do a variety of actions to trick that 3 yrs old in me from sabotaging the food plan. But I read you committment to sort out and figure out what it takes to remain on the beck plan for the long run. Please keep sharing as I have similiar struggles.

tomarrow family arrives for a two night/ 3 days stay. Should be fun, busy and alot of cooking for me. I have no dessert planned and hope they can cope.

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 02-19-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Closed Thread