General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #16  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Beckies!

A most enlightening day today, as I did Jon Kabat-Zinn's body scan (thanks Sue) as if for the first time. This mindfulness exercise is one I've been doing for years, but today I feel I finally got the point. I can hold all tension and stress in awareness, lightly, and be with it. I knew this, but the knowledge only deepens over time. This to me is a true antidote to emotional eating and cravings!!

Great yoga class this morning too.

Mezmerize - Welcome!! How is the book going?

kuhljeannie - Great, exhaustive advantages list! This should hold you in good stead. I love how you stated everything in present tense and positively.

wendylan, you are so right - "the work is ongoing". Moodiness is so hard to overcome! I too have struggled with it for so many years. But with Beck and each other we can do this! I think your reaction to eating the candy is absolutely a sign of progress. You probably would not have had those thoughts before! well done.

Sue you have had a great insight - "food cannot take away our unhappiness". So true! And on another level - do we really need to "get rid of" our unhappiness anyway? Is there anything else we can really do other than accept that it's here anyway and be with it? You go - you WILL be under 300 before you know it!

Heidi - kudos to you indeed for cooking in advance! All good wishes that Henry continues to improve.

Bill - Enjoy that wonderful moment! You truly have changed your outlook on food. Credit TOI!

CatR- Loving your advantages list. Can I go backpacking with you?

CherryAutumn - Excellent job on Day 7! I don't think I have really dealt with that properly yet myself, so kudos to you especially.

MaryBlu - LOL on "Lutheran" I agree, it is great to see how this group is growing. Beck is really catching on!

Waving to anyone I've missed! I hope to be more regular with my postings.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #17  

Hello all,

Well is has rained, rained, and rained. So I have a bit of cabin fever. They're projecting some bits of sun on Monday. hurray!! Did go to a very inspirational poetry reading today. Afterward they all were going to another location to discuss creativity-I froze that I just not that artistic. rats-wish I could be more comfortable with my skills. These folks are kind of inner circle of the arty folks in our area, I sure I would sounded soo uncool. That uncomfortable space of too nervous to go but sad not to do. One day I'll take more risks. Credit-ate/drink nothing at the reading nor afterwards.

BillBlueEyes-glad you feel that sense of internal calm facing food while socializing. Treasury those times, I truly believe they are on the increase-I am always delighted when eating light is effortless. I recently got books on pairing wines with foods-having fun with my 2oz of different wines with different courses-very mindful of tasting acidity/tannens/oak with foods. 6 oz of different wines with different course feels so luxurious when drinking it so mindfully and analytically. Wine is becoming a food enhancer not so much an alcoholic beverage. This kind of my whole foods sample experience.

MaryBlu-the cosmos let us get Praire Home Companion on the radio tonight. He talked about the Lutherans in Lake Wobegone-along with the -45 wind chill factor. Warming thoughts to you. Hope your aunt does well.

Erika-Agree that Yoga and meditation are such powerful tools to use instead of food. I don't know if we need to rid ourselves of unhappiness, but studying budhhism taught me that unhappiness is truly a product of my mind and attitudes not necessarily an objective reality. That alone has been very freeing for me that and the practice of looking directly at pain, anger, happiness and I now know that it all passes--everything is only temporary. You are right-look at it, be with it, accept it, and then notice it does pass away. Then with the Beck exercise of dealing with hunger. I learned even hunger is very temporal and passing. That was hugh for me.

CherryAutmn-the clearing out of certain foods was another biggie for me-it really helped-DH hids his treats about the garage and his car-after awhile I can tolerate more "treats in the home. But I am an ice cream magnetic. Somethings are tough for me to ignore when-alone, late a night, overtired and a bit upset- a cleared environment is such a help.

Mezmerize What chapter are you on? I have been frustrated with the slow weight loss, but the good news is that with Beck I have made some permanent changes of my attitude toward food and seeing the futility of emotional eating and how to change it and that feel really good!! I am very optmistic of future(but regretfully slow) loss.

CatR-much success on achieving the goals on your advantage card. Still have my 7 month old card on the refrig-still have the same reasons. Reading them does really help.

Heidi-hope you having some fun, rest and relaxation this weekend. Would love to be still teaching -my favorite is very young children with autism-just don't have the energy any more. Teaching is a tough but important job. glad the pup is still doing ok. Much credit for the cooking-good to plan for the nights when you feel soo tired and DD is soo hunger.

Hi to Jean and Wendylan much sccesss to all. This ain't easy, but is sure beats being unhappy and unhealthy. Miss some of my "comfort" foods, but everytime I pick up anything heavy, I an so glad that I have lost more weight than the item I picked up.

sue-looking forward sun
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Super Bowl Sunday - the days of pre-game hype are over.

Diet Coaches - Did some catch up walking. CREDIT moi. Had a great dinner with my old friend. Eating wasn't an issue. CREDIT moi. Today's challenge is to watch the Super Bowl without the seemingly mandatory eating that is usually associated with it. It'll help if I get in a good brisk walk before kick off.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for doing the poetry reading without eating or drinking. Sending sunny thoughts to a California woman deprived of her sunshine, LOL.

MaryBlu - Sending healing wishes to your Dear Aunt. Sending warm wishes to thaw you out.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving. Sending healing thoughts to Henry.

Erika (eusebius) – Just WOW at your response to Jon Kabat-Zinn's body scan.

CherryAutumn - Kudos for arranging your environment.

CatR - I'm particularly grabbed by: 4. Stop putting off buying clothes until "I have lost weight", because I have a list of actions in addition to buying clothes that fit that sentence.

Mez (mezmerize) - There does seem to be a bunch of you old timers who were moved by lessofsarahtolove.

Readers "Many dieters who end up in my office have been on and off diets for years. They all have one thing in common. They don’t know how to think like a thin person." Beck, pg 18.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #19  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hello all!

It's so wonderful to get online and read how you all are doing. "Inspirational" is kind of overused, but it still fits. Yesterday was my first official On Plan day, and I was on plan all day for the first time in about two years. DH suggested pork chops for dinner since they were fresh and had been in the fridge for two days and it was time to eat them, so a few hours before dinner I sat down with my plan and reworked it for a different dinner. Same calories, same macro ratios, but a different meal. I figure I can be flexible but stay on plan, as long as I'm not making it up at the time I'm putting the food in my mouth. He was very sweet about it and even weighed my chop to make sure I got exactly 4 ounces. I was such a smart girl for marrying him!

One of the things I was thinking about as I caught up on everyone's posts is this idea of using food to avoid emotional discomfort (or physical exhaustion, which seems to be a common theme as well.) There's a lot of good in knowing that food won't fix sadness, but I especially liked Erika's comment that there's not necessarily merit in avoiding the sadness either. This was something that occurred to me while I was doing day 12 (deliberately letting myself get hungry.) It's never the sadness, or the grief, or the anxiety that leads to self-destructive behaviors - it's the attempt to avoid or circumvent the feelings that does it. (Pema Chodron says this much more elegantly.) When I'm not fighting or running away from my discomfort, it can become my teacher. And it becomes even clearer that unhappy emotions are just as fleeting as happy ones.

This has a more practical ramification for me as well. I mentioned that I've just started training for a half-marathon in May. Yesterday morning I went for my first long run of 4 miles (they get longer and longer every week.) By mile 3 I could feel blisters forming on the arches of my feet. I didn't slow down, even though they hurt. I just thought, these are blisters, and while they're uncomfortable, they're not a serious injury. When I get home I'll take my shoes off and put some bandaids on them, and they'll get tougher the more I do this. How fabulous and powerful! Bill, maybe you might consider signing up for some sort of race or event that requires a structured training program. I've found them motivating, when I know that I've invested $50 or so and I want to feel good at the finish line.

Thanks to the many who liked my advantages! I've been borrowing freely from you all too.

I'm considering skipping a Superbowl party this afternoon (under the guise of taking care of my sick kid.) It's going to be a junkfest, and frankly I don't have the mental energy or the time put in to breeze past the chicken wings and cookie cake. Instead I might skip it altogether. In a few weeks, I'll be in a better position to go to something like this.

Have a wonderful and mindful day!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #20  

Hi there Friends!
I had to go look up Jon-Kabat Zinn and the body scan. I would really benefit from the mindfulness exercises. Fascinating. I put his book in the cart at amazon but will wait to buy since I have some other books on my nightstand right now that I want to get through first. So much good stuff out there to read and learn. I would love to practice “being with the feelings” and remembering that they will pass. Aha moment: that it is the avoidance of those feelings that cause emotional eating and not the feelings themselves. It is true and the hunger exercise connection is brilliant too. THANKS!

Sue: kudos for going to the reading and for not eating or drinking at it but got some inspiration from it.

Billblueeyes: I love that we are all on different places on this path and we can look to you to see how things can really come together! Being in that calm place in your mind in a social situation with desireable food around? Sometimes it feels like those moments are so far away if not impossible to have. Reading your experience with it gives me hope!

Happy SuperBowl Sunday everyone. I personally find that this day is a good day to grocery shop or drive any other place that is normally crowded. 

Just made dish #1 for the week and will make the other later on. Credit moi. DD and I made valentines for our family members and played basketball yesterday at the park (credit moi deux). Doggie even got to come to the park with us this time and he LOVED it! I gave in to temptation with some chips that were in the house and then ate some unplanned ice cream. I felt badly about it for a spell, recorded it all and planned today which is going much better so far! (that is “troi” credit).

I visited with a friend yesterday who is going all gangbusters on weight loss. He is on a strict 1200 calorie diet, roughly following glycemic index guidelines and eating a good balance of food. He “has not eaten a single thing off his plan for a month”, has exercised for one hour each of those days and has lost 30 lbs in one month. We talked about Beck (I tried not to preach too much..but wanted to!) but he is just on a roll and doesn’t feel like he needs any new skills right now. It really reminds me of how I have done weight loss in the past-going for perfection and super intense. I was fighting feeling that my way is “weak”compared to what he is doing right now. I had to remind myself that my plan is working for ME and that the skills I am learning and using will stay with me for my life and in all areas of my life. I must be flexible since if I am perfectionistic and then inevitably have a snafu, that I will know ahead of time that this does NOT end my plan and that I know how I will respond to it.

Anyone game for doing the next two days of the book? If not, I will do them.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Sounds like everyone is just moving along in the right direction,always good advice and encouragement.I had a good day today and bumped up to 40 laps in the pool since the kids wanted to stay home and I had some extra time.Also had some unplanned peanut butter cups,I have really been struggling since Thur. weigh in which is strange since I had a good loss.I am working on what my sabatoging thoughts that are holding me back,sometimes I write a thought down and then look at it thinking"THAT is the thought I am struggling with?"Suprising what we tell ourselves on a daily basis.Anyway,I cut up some vegetables and packed a lunch for Monday back to work for me.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

CherryAutumn – I’m 5’4” my son and husband are both over 6’ I’ll have to have them hid their treats

Eusebius – The book is going great it’s a real eye opener. I have a yoga for weight loss dvd I’ve yet to open it.

Coastalsue – I’ve also got cabin fever. I went to sears and picked up a outdoor book and I’m so ready to sit out in the sun! It’s way too cold and I don’t know when the snow will be gone. I’m now on chapter 2 since I’d pretty much knew what diet plans I was going to use. I not to look at all the weight I want to lose. I break mine down to 10 lbs at a time it doesn’t seem that bad to me then.

Kuhljeanie – Great job reworking your meal!

Wendylan – Cabin fever hit once again! I love to swim.

BillBlueEyes – I skimmed Chapter 3 so I know what Credit means WTG!!! LOL you calling me an oldtimer makes me think of a old miner you see in cowboy movies. (I’m 43 yrs young) I have a odd sense of humor that is why. When you stated the 3 ½ years of my being here. I was very proud of myself for not giving up. (which is what the before 3FC me what have done) I thought of lessofsarahtolove and once again I’m thankful for all she taught me. She was amazing at guiding and making you believe that you can do it and I did I lost 40 lbs but things happen I wasn’t able to get online… That is why I feel The Beck Diet Book will help me. Here is part of my list.
Advantages Response Card
1. My Health
2. I’ll enjoy shopping for clothes more
3. I’ll be able to play with the grandkids and not tire out as quickly.
4. Like myself more
Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #23  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi all - How exciting to see that so many of us respond deeply to mindfulness techniques. Between those and Beck I think we are unstoppable!

It has been a slightly rough day for me. three full days in a row with DD is wonderful in some ways and quite draining in others. For much of it i managed to remain mindful, but for other parts, it was tough to deal with down feelings, tense stomach muscles, and a loud child bouncing off the walls despite lots of physical activity and good food. Fortunately it didn't result in a binge ... I just find myself craving good feelings, peace, a jacuzzi, maybe a weekend in Bermuda. How strange the mind is.

Sue - for what it is worth I think you are a very creative person. I know what you mean about inner circles though. They can definitely be intimidating. Awesome job avoiding the "free" food. You are so right about the hunger exercise showing the temporality of hunger. What a great insight.

Bill - Hope you are enjoying your mindless-snack-free Super Bowl. Kudos for walking and for a good dinner with your friend.

kuhljeanie - well done with your rejigged pork chop dinner! So true about not avoiding sensations or emotions ... I do it even when I think I'm NOT doing it. The mind is so clever and insidious sometimes. But awareness can still hold it all. WTG on training for a half and on your attitude to the blisters! I have run a half once and I thought it was great. All the best for continued success in your training!

heidi - Yep, you really get these concepts! I am now almost thinking that we could have a Kabat-Zinn book discussion once we are finished reading Beck, or have one in parallel. Great insights re: your gung ho friend and dieting perfectionism too.

wendylan - you are doing exactly what you need to do! The struggle seems so tough sometimes. I have often struggled after a good weigh-in ... it's like the mind is trying to trick me into not losing any more. great job with food and exercise today!! 40 laps in the pool would kick my rear

mez - great advantages card! i see we are the same height and fairly close in age; cool! though I think your son must be a bit older than my daughter if he's over
6' LOL. I like how you are breaking stuff down into 10 lb goals - very Beck!

Well ... time to attempt another body scan with eyes open so I don't conk out... zzzzz ... another weigh in tomorrow morning but I probably won't lose this week. Oh well, as Beck says ... keep on keepin' on ...

cheers
Erika

Last edited by eusebius; 02-04-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #24  

Hello all,

billBlueEyes-sorry about the superbowl-wanted the patriots to win as is seemed important for you. Heard that so much food is eaten on superbowl Sunday that it is 2nd most caloric day in the US with Thanksgiving Day being the first.

Erika-a tropical resort sound wonderful-meet you there. Being a mom is a wonderful but intense 24/7 role. Glad inspite of stress you stayed on your food plan.

mesmerize-Sounds like you'll be on the beach with Erika and myself. Nice to read your determination inspite of set backs. Health and more energy are so important to me also-actually do feel so much better with my limited weight loss.

Kuhljeanie-very impressed with your dedication to run a marathon!! hope the blisters are healing quickly. Agree that at times it is the supression of our feelings/thought that creates such difficulties for ourselves. The other day I was fretting if a decision/ action I did will be OK with others, my friend came up with a great approach. He asked ,"well what is the best that will happen because of what you did"-and since I did with this reason in mind, I could let go the "what ifs" if others did not like it. My DH also will measure and weight out food for me-that is great support!!

Heidi-A dream of quick weight loss, glad you worked out what is right for you-Never has quick off for me remained permanently off. Wish him well. The time in the park sounds great-basketball and happy pup. Credit for recording the extra treat and going on. It sound like you keep builiding up a strong foundaton for the changes.

Wendylan-This sounds strange, but I felt like a little girl inside who was stumping her feet and would periodically refuse to do the healthy thing. It has taken months for me to get her to fully agree to cooperate with this food plan. I think enough time of this Beck stuff is taming her and now she even thinks the reasons on the cards are more important than her temper tanturms to overeat. I know that sounded wierd-but I never clear sabatoging thought but it was more as a kid like response of the I want it and I want it now. Yeah back to the veggies.

Thought about making a dash and to go for a long car ride-the highway had just reopened and expected to stay open until high tide this evening will push the river over the road again. But we were practical and stayed at home. If the road closed early it would take us over 4 hrs to get home if the other roads were even open. We got invited to a rainy day picnic-by other rain crazed friends-made devil eggs with low cal mayo and mustard and carrot sticks and brought a large water bottle with ice water-I did good and had no chips, tacos,crackers, cookies, brie, brandy ect. The odd things is that I have been wanting to eat less, to eat less rich, and really wanting to loss more weight. While my loss is very slow, I am enjoying a time with few cravings and a real sense of not wanting to overindulge. This is very different for me!! What an increditable change this is for me!! I am so hopeful for the future and my health!!

sue
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday between Super Bowl and Super Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Got in two good walks in the warm weather, including a long brisk walk before the Super Bowl; I needed the catchup. CREDIT moi. Congrats to the New York Giants for a game well played. Ouch! Had an opportunity to indulge in a variety of good food at a nearby Super Bowl party when I stopped in briefly during halftime; didn’t. Maybe I’m losing my touch or something – wouldn’t that be nice. My feelings do not, however, match my actions. My eating is on plan, yet I have the feeling that I could lose the whole thing at any minute. Perhaps another example of Beck’s
Thinking Mistake #2: Negative Fortune Telling
You predict the future negatively, without considering other possible outcomes.
A more balanced fortune telling is in my daily Response Cards from Beck:
Believe It - I've learned to: Do (strategies, eat mindfully); Remind myself (Response Cards); Motivate myself (Advantages, CREDIT moi); Keep honest (3FC, journal).

Sue (CoastalSue) - LOL at the image of you stomping your feet and having a tantrum. BIG Kudos for staying on plan at a large social setting. You just keep moving forward!

MaryBlu - Hope all is going well with your aunt.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - CREDIT toi quatre for giving yourself credits, LOL. Kudos for your rapid bounce back from minor unplanned eating. Your story of your friend's intensity reminds me that I'm trying to learn to maintain while keeping food in its proper place in my life; I'm still working food at a level of intensity that isn't likely to last. My plan (hope) is to get skills and habits in place so that eating is like brushing my teeth - I don't think that I plan it, but it always happens. Hugs to Henry who goes to the park.

Erika (eusebius) – Never heard craving used this way, "I just find myself craving good feelings." What a powerful word to go along with desperately using food to try to change the current feelings. And, good luck at your weigh in this morning.

wendy (wendylan) - 40 laps is like forever to me; I haven't mastered swimming laps yet. Hope to find a trainer or somebody to help me learn this. Being astounded at your own thoughts must be the core of what Beck is trying to get us to do - BIG kudos.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Thanks for driving home the thought, "...it's the attempt to avoid or circumvent the feelings that does it." Room for me to work on that one. And thanks for the idea to sign up for an event like a marathon to help me stay on track with exercise.

Mez (mezmerize) - LOL at "old miner." Thanks for posting your Advantages, "My Health" is in the top of my list also.

Readers – “This program teaches you how to talk back to your sabotaging thoughts in a convincing way. …” Beck, pg 18.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-04-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #26  

Yesterday as Day 8 -- Create Time and Energy The hard part for me is the planning out meals for the next day. I tend to want to rebel because when i write it down in a plan the last thing i want to do is follow it. I think it will take a while for this to become a habit.

Today i am working on selecting a Exercise Plan--I think that exercise will help me feel better about myself and has been known to help fight
depression which is a big one for me.

CoastalSue - great job at the picnic. I can't wait till i am at the stage where it seems a lot of you have worked so hard t reach. Where you are happy with your decisions and don't feel down or left out because you don't get to eat what others do.

eusebius- sorry to hear that you had such a rough day. Hope your weigh in goes well.

mezmerize- I just had to chuckle at the picture of us being 5'4" and having the tallest person we know put the food where we have trouble reaching it.

Wendylan- I think that is a great idea to write down the thought you are struggling with to read it. I may have to try that.

hbuchwald- Thanks for telling us about you friend. It is really something to think about. That is great that you gave yourself credit.

Kuhljeanie- Wow 4 mile that is great. Sorry about the blisters though.

billBlueEyes- That is great you were able to get two walks in. I can't wait for warmer weather and some sunshine. Great that you resisted temptation at the superbowl party you stopped at.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you for all your insightful comments. You guys really cover a lot of ground. I am going to need to check in a couple of times a day to keep up.

I am going to have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life to feel my best. This goes beyond dropping a few pounds. If I eat sugar, I get tired and depressed. It doesn't make sense to eat rich desserts and other foods to please someone else or give myself momentary "pleasure" if it is going to affect how I function.

I was really stressed over the holidays because of all the food I was exposed to and the worry about putting on weight. I gained 4 pounds. Anxiety about food does not help. I am already concerned about how I am going to manage my quilt groups monthly potluck, which will probably be at the end of this month! I think it is going to be a while before I am easy being around a lot of food.

I am following a combination of 2 diets. I did well a couple years ago cutting my carbs down below 180 gms/day from Lose Weight the smart low-carb way. I know I have some carb sensitivity, so that made sense. I don't have any energy if I cut the carbs too low. I started my latest "miracle diet" a couple of weeks ago with the "Flatten Your Belly Diet" that showed up in the last issue of Prevention Magazine. You incorporate olive oil and other oils, avocado, nuts, olives and chocolate (which I am passing on because of the sugar). This dovetailed very well with the reduced carbs. I did not flatten my belly, but I have eaten an ounce of nuts a day for a couple of years. I sadly acknowledged that there weren't going to be any miracles.

However, I am doing very well with the increased fat (around 33% of my diet) because my blood sugar is a lot more stable. This probably helped when I passed up the brownies at the carving meeting. I have kept my fat intake down to 20-25% for years and that might not have been a good idea for me. I do get hungry at times, but I feel much better than I have with my previous dieting efforts. So I have hope that I going to be able to stick with my plan long enough to reach a good weight.

My goal weight is 122. I once got down to 123-125 for a few years. 125 seemed to be my maximum weight because I started getting sluggish. 115 would probably be too thin because of my lean body mass. I am going to get below 125 pounds and re-evaluate the situation.

This takes care of last weeks chapters. Now that I have the book, I'll be able to participate in the current chapters more and play "catch up" with the first 8.

Last edited by CatR; 02-04-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Eusebius – My son just turned 18. He graduates this year. Humm Guess I have another Advantage to losing weight. To be at a healthier weight at sons graduation. I love breaking it down Today was my weight in and I lost 2 lbs. If you look at my ticker it shows I’m half way there. Now if I had the full weight loss on my ticker to me it doesn’t look like much. It’s a mind game that works very well for me. Keep going never give up YOU WILL DO IT!!

Coastalsue – It’s great you planned what you would eat at the picnic and stuck to it!! I’m very proud of you!!!!

BillBlueEyes – WTG getting a walk in and staying on plan.

CherryAutum – I can really relate to Exercise I sure drag my feet with that it’s been one of my main problems is starting a workout plan. Plus planning my meals I do try to loosely plan by having healthy items in my home.

CatR - I really like that you wrote You noticed how you felt sluggish at a lower weight and it makes one think about what they think would be the best idea weight to what weight is actually the healthiest for that person. Great insight.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #29  

Default checking in....

Good evening!

Wendylan: I am very much experiencing what you describe: sabotage after some success. I need to do more journaling about this but I am wondering if somewhere inside of me I am afraid to lose more weight. I am definitely maintaining if not losing VERY slowly. I was losing much more quickly before but, because I have been giving into snack attacks at night the last few nights and not exercising, it has slowed way down. Kudos to you for packing that lunch and getting some chopped veggies in there too!

Mezmerize: Love the idea of being able to keep up with kids as an advantage! I do love the visual of the 10 lb increments. Where did you get the little icon? I assume that it looks somewhat like you do? Very cool!

Erika: I do understand how exhausting it can be to hang with kids all day long. I LOVE my dd so much too but it would be so hard to stay at home with her ALL the time. I LOVE the idea of “I just find myself craving good feelings, peace, a jacuzzi, maybe a weekend in Bermuda.” We are looking for the GOOD feelings and this is also a way that I have not heard of using the idea of craving… I would like to try and use that to counter sabotaging thoughts that drive me to my snacking. I just want to feel calm and relaxed and it is MUCH more healthy to desire something good for me that may actually help me feel calm now than to eat (which makes me feel anxious after eating it in these circumstances). Genious!

Sue: I am so happy that you are in that frame of mind where you are WANTING to eat well, etc… It feels sooo good to be in that place. I am trying to get back to it too. I have been doing just fine during the day and then at night… I threw the chips out (they were healthy chips too) and am putting the candy bowl UP high (too bad I am the tallest one in the house!). You sound so healthy and balanced.

Billblueeyes: I copied down, “Believe It - I've learned to: Do (strategies, eat mindfully); Remind myself (Response Cards); Motivate myself (Advantages, CREDIT moi); Keep honest (3FC, journal).”… I am trying to get that down to a neat little mantra something like in Stuart Smalley Saves his Family, “I’m gonna’ trace it, face it and erase it..”. He is an old SNL character who was addicted to self help and 12 step programs… HILARIOUS (to me anyway). Seriously though, Believe, Remind, Motivate and Keep Honest…..those are the tools!

Maryblu: Hope all is well with you and your aunt!

CherryAutumn: Creating time and energy for self care (weight loss or maintenance) will be one that probably most of us will have to be mindful about for the rest of our lives. I can see how, especially during maintenance, that it would be easy to say that “I don’t need to do this one anymore…” and then slowly not do many of the behaviors that will help us maintain. Bill-any truth to that for you? I keep thinking of that oxygen mask on the plane analogy…we HAVE to do the things that we need to do to take good care of ourselves BEFORE other stuff (dependents or work or whatever) like putting on our own O2 mask before putting one on our child’s. Maybe I should hang oxygen masks around my house. Or around my neck? It is getting late… 

I purchased a great software program that I am now recording my food and exerices into. Kudos to me for doing that since now I am spending MUCH less time online (I was recording on another site where I was getting sidetracked by some fun bells and whistles on the site…articles, etc…). Great resource to remember WHEN I NEED IT only!

Til tomorrow, Heidi
Old 02-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #30  

Howdy,

another good but uneventual day on program-tried out a new(from the library)DVD on doing yoga for folks with arthritis-very good and enjoyed the gentle stretchs/ I am enjoying feeling so focus but the weight is so slowly getting off-the behaviors are becoming more and more ingrained-It is the most optimistic I have ever felt about doing permanent weight loss. It is sort of a calm acceptance of the work needed-I finally accept that I have no choice if I want to loss weight. If I do blow it, then just get back on the planning wagon and re lose the gain. One thing is that we all have are own pacing-some are so much more focused and diciplined, while I have needed months to work thru my serious sabatoging behaviors-(At least I hope I have worked thru serious long term binge eating) Hang in everyone as think Beck has alot of good stuff. Honestly I really had to work at preplanning and now I have modifiied some things as I have a more general food plan for each day-some categories can have changes in them but over all I always stay within the cals and have a balance of protein, veggies, milk, fruits, a bit of carbs and some treats.

Billblueeyes-even more credit for maintaining your goal inspite of a test of spirit-the spirit/emotions/ desires can and do come and go but your strength has been your dedication. That dedication will always pull you back to program even if you might have a lapse. Maintaining your goal is part of you along with the new behaviors from new cooking skills to mindful eating. After feeling the concern you problem solved with your response cards.

CherryAutumn-Preplanning was a realy drag at first-now my grocery shopping is revolving about the preplanning. all my old breakfast have been replace with lower cal items, -cottage cheese, ect. It did turn into a new eating style for me along with learning alot about caloric foods.

CatR It is a real art to learn what is the best combo for your own body versus some "latest" new diet. Sound like you have put alot of thought in the best for you. I am always trying to figure out what is the right number of calories for my age, weight and lack of exercising when not swimming. There is alot of conflicting info out there. Dh who is very active and thin adds snacks of nuts and more whole grain bread.

Heidi, what is that about saboatging ourself after some success of losing? I have done that over and over again. Because I am such an emotional eater I think it is more the fear of losing an way to calm myself than fear of losing weight. I build a tension level that i must binge in order to psychologically feel better (a false myth I believed and overate due to)-so I just snap then eat. It is working on ways to comfort/calm myself other than eating that has lessen the binges. Somedays I have still have a low grade anxiety level going on which I think for decades I have eaten to stuffing down.-it is pain to have such days, but they pass and so does the tension even tho I didn't over eat. It has taken me close to 9 months to actually say Oh Well to food and mean it, in the past "Oh Well" was an annoying challenge which often I responded to by over eating. It was like "I dare you not to cross that line" and of course I did because no one is going to tell me what I can and can't do. hope my babbling have made some sense.

Best wishes to all

sue
Closed Thread