General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 09:30 AM   #1  

Default Success with SlimFast, #13 Jan 19th, 2002

Fitness -
The Active Ingredient

Aside from changing the way you eat, exercise is the most important step you can take to help you lose weight and improve your health.

There are 3 important components that you should include in your exercise routine to ensure that your time is well spent.

1. Flexibility Exercise. Stretching can make or break your workout routine. Your risk of injury increases significantly when you do not include stretching during your workout. Stretching makes your muscles longer, giving a leaner appearance to your body. Stretch for 5 to 10 minutes prior to exercising, and be sure to stretch the major muscle groups after exercising as well. Hold each stretch for 15-60 seconds. Stretch to the point of mild tension and avoid bouncing.

2. Aerobic Exercise. This is any type of exercise that gets your heart pumping and your glands sweating without taking your breath away. Aerobic exercise should be performed 3 to 5 times per week, for 20 to 60 minutes each time. Great aerobic exercises include walking, jogging, cycling, aerobic dancing, stair climbing, the elliptical trainer, and swimming.

3. Strengthening Exercise. Muscle is very active tissue with high-energy needs. By increasing the amount of muscle you have, you will increase the number of calories your body burns, even at rest. You should strength train 2 to 3 times each week, aiming for 8 to 12 repetitions for each of your major muscle groups.

Set activity goals for yourself. Make a list of the types of activities that you like to do. Then plot a schedule for yourself. Be sure to include substitute activities just in case of bad weather. A great idea is to keep an exercise log to record your progress. An exercise log will help you to keep track of the days that you exercise, the minutes that you spend exercising, the activities that you participated in, and the distances that you covered.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:35 AM   #2  

I picked this because it is what I need to do.

Muscle is very active tissue with high-energy needs. I suppose I knew this but it really struck a cord with me today. I do everything wrong for my muscles needs. No surprise I have a muscle disorder!!

Do you all keep an exercise journal?
Old 01-20-2002, 12:57 PM   #3  

Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could join this thread? I've been doing SlimFast for the last year and have found I've had more success w/ the SF program than any other program. Hope to be a part of this wonderful group!
Old 01-20-2002, 01:33 PM   #4  

Wecome lessofme of course you can join.

I would love to hear how your year has gone and what success you have had.

I basically like SF because of the convenience and I do like the taste. I still have trouble getting exercise in, which I mean to change this week and portion control. I have done slightly better with this but have a long way to go. It is't on my plate I think I have to eat it. If I take too much at home I do now go and put it in the frig for another time. I use eating so much to fulfill emotional needs and have to get this under control also.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:31 PM   #5  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lessofme, welcome.

I am also working on muscle. I am lifting twice a week and doing ab work twice a week. I get plenty of arobics at work but I know the strength training works well for me. Most of the excersises I do 20 reps. I do a ten minut workout that has 8 diferent excersises. It leaves my muscles trembling for about an hour afterward but boy do I feel good. I'm fianlly loosing again and am down 3 pounds this week. I knew I needed more excersise but as for Lady it is also the first thing to suffer for me. I almost skiped today but finally just did it and I feel good for making the effort.

320\277\140
Old 01-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #6  

CGirl Congrats on losing the 3 pounds....
Old 01-21-2002, 06:23 PM   #7  

Hello everyone! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

My year w/ SF has gone wonderfully! The convenience of the product, the portability and using the product has really helped w/ my portion control, plus I don't have to make so many decisions about what to eat. I did have a relapse, gaining back 15 lbs., but that was entirely my fault. Once I started using SF again the weight was very easy to lose.

I am so happy I found this thread. Have a good day every1!
Old 01-21-2002, 06:42 PM   #8  

I had a rare day off today so I did get in a 45 min walk. I want to get back into yoga but it will probably take me 6 months to get the stiffness out of my body.

I might have to get some canned soup for my "food" meal. I hate trying to figure out the count on things so until I change my attitude it might be the best way to go.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:43 PM   #9  
Simply Noble

I like to use canned soup also. I add some frozen veggies to make it more sustatial and it is a good no brainer meal.
Excersise is going great. I lifted on sunday and rode for an hour yesterday. Today I spent two hours cleaning and rearanging the living room. Feels good to know I did something besides watch tv. I have to be to work for 5pm so I am enjoying a much deserved break now.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:44 PM   #10  

At noon I was all inspired - by 3PM I was ready to crawl into bed. My throat hurts, nose is running and I have a fever.

This has been a rough winter.

I did SlimFast for two meals but really don't want any food now.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:47 AM   #11  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Mind if I join you ladies -- I am just starting to use slimfast. I was doing ww but I just keep gaining weight that I thought I would try slimfast since you don;t have to make any food choices.

I look forward to talking with you all
Old 01-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #12  
Simply Noble

Welcome I_M_L glad to have you with us. We all use Slimfast or similar products and share what we do that works for us. Personally I like having my food meal at mid day so I don't have to go all day before eating "real" food. I still have a long way to go and ocasionally I get off track but this site sure has helped me to not give up.

LLB, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I just got over a bit of the bug myself. On the bright side a friend of mine looks like he lost 20 pounds when he had it! Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Nothing really new to report as I was just here but I am doing well with keeping up the excersise. My clothes definatly fit different and I notice my butt is getting a different shape!
Old 01-23-2002, 06:57 PM   #13  

Welcome its_my_life.

CGirl Glad to hear you are liking your butt better!!!

I have to do some cleaning....

From the SlimFast site:

Snacking

Smart snacking choices give you the energy you need during the day, help satisfy your appetite, and help you reach your weight-loss goal. Snacking keeps blood sugar levels stable thereby preventing excessive hunger and overeating at mealtime.

 Snacking should be a planned part of your day's overall intake.

 Snacking may help to increase your metabolic rate when combined with smaller meals (eating speeds up your metabolism by up to 40% above your resting metabolism)!

 Snacking can be a source of health-promoting nutrients, such as fiber... so choose wisely!

 Snacking does not spoil your appetite if you plan a combination of nutritious snacks and healthy meals.

 Remember to brush your teeth after snacking for good dental health!

Now I love "snacking does not spoil your appetite" because that is what I have heard all my life. No wonder when I did get a meal I stuffed myself !!!

However, if snacking speeds up my metabolism up to 40% - I should be down right skinny!!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:01 AM   #14  
Simply Noble

ME TOO!
I know that a snack deffinatly helps me be less of a chow hound at dinner time. I just always eat a larger snack than is wise.
Some things I like are : Crispy minnies, Slimfast snack bars, pretzles, and my favorite is lowfat sour cream with salsa and baked tortilia chips. The spicy salsa realy boosts the metabolism!
Old 01-24-2002, 07:34 PM   #15  

Okay, girls, friends, I have a delicate question. I have been on SlimFast for three weeks now and rarely have to do #2!!!

Do any of you have this problem?

I drink 50 to 66 oz of water per day and I know it is dry here in the Winter but
Closed Thread