3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Prescription Diet Pills Advice (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/123391-prescription-diet-pills-advice.html)

spinach33 09-22-2007 10:53 AM

Prescription Diet Pills Advice

Hello ladies,

I understand that the topic of quick-fix diet methods is sometimes controversial in this forum.

I have since come to the conclusion that any OTC diet pills with amazing claims are simply unreliable. For now, I am seeking advice regarding prescription diet pills.

There are so many out there and, frankly, I do not believe most of what I read on the internet. Is there a reliable site which critiques the different types of diet pills? I tried researching and there are so many "buyprescriptiondrugs.com" type of sites which will obviously put a positive spin on everything.

I would prefer to hear about the personal experiences of others. Has anyone tried any? Successes? Failures? What type of physician (GP, internist, etc.) would I visit to discuss options? Are physicians quick to prescribe diet pills or are there certain criteria (e.g. BMI) required?

Thanks everyone & have a wonderful weekend! :)

KforKitty 09-22-2007 12:51 PM

I have been on the prescribed version or Orlistat (Xenical) for 8 weeks. I have lost 20lb in that time. I lost 23lb without the Xenical the 3 months before that but with the same diet I'm finding it so much easier to see decent losses each week. My GP prescribed the Xenical but I had to show I could lose weight without it. To keep getting the prescription I have to lose 5% of my body weight each 3 months - I've smashed that goal already.

Kitty

RedPhoenix 10-10-2007 12:43 PM

I've taken Phentermine (Adipex)along with my diet and it helped tremendously.I lost weight on it from A; the energy and B;feeling like I just finished eating all the time.I didn't even think about food(which is a big thing for me).The only thing is you have to stop every other month..or you'll get used to them.

carlskl 02-09-2008 09:05 PM

phentermine worked great for me but you also have to exercise with it

BigStar 02-20-2008 01:02 AM

^^^ with the phentermine there are so many different one are there certain ones that work better (yellow or blue) capsule or pill?

nharden1984 02-24-2008 10:43 PM

I was prescribe phentermine on 2/20 or something like that. When I went to the doctor I was 214 pounds. The same day, i went and had the prescription filled. And its only a few days and I'm 202.5 pounds. So I'm really excited. I've change my eating habits and exercise regularly. I hope I don't regain the weight when I stop these pills. The doctor prescribe adipex 18.75 or something like that. It was a 15 supply. I guess she wanted to see how i react on them, but when I went to the pharmacy, they gave me a (15) 37.5 mg pills and said it was a 30 day supply. They said I was suppose to take 1/2 a day. But instead I've been takin the whole pill because all of my friends took the pill and lost alot of weight and their doctors gave them the full strength. And my doctor already said I was pretty much healthy. Just overweight.

So I'm kinda concerned, should I be takin the whole pill??? I mean I wanna lose weight, but I don't want my body to get to immune to it before I get get close to my goal weight. I'm so afraid that it'll just stop workin for me way to soon.

aphil 02-26-2008 06:13 AM

If your doctor said to take half a pill, then take half a pill. You are losing weight WAY too quickly.

A health rate of weight loss is 1-3 pounds per week for most people. If you are losing more than that, then you are going to lose muscle mass as well as fat (which you want to keep!) and risk health issues.

Losing that much weight in just a few days is unhealthy. Even if a pill makes you feel like not eating, you need to be sure that you are still taking in a decent amount of food. Your "body" still needs nutrition.