General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 05:19 AM   #16  

Default kashi

Hi All;
I really find this topic helpful because I never know what to have for breakfast. I think I found something. Thanks! I,m not sure how to cook with it for other meals. Does anyone have some tasty recipes with kasha? Whole grains are so useful for weight loss, yet I only use brown rice and that not enough. That's about all I have to say for now. Will see how it effects my weight. Till Later Bye, Lee
Old 03-14-2001, 05:37 PM   #17  
Domestic Goddess

I just stared WW a few weeks back and I tried Kashi and I LOVE IT!! Here are a few things that I do with it.

I love to use it mixed with vanilla flavored yogurt, applesauce and a little Splenda or sweetner that you like. You can add some cinnamon or pumpkin pie or apple pie spice to this. Very filling!!

I've also taken the GF and put some of the ICBINB spray on it nuked it for a minute or so and sprinkled it with cinnamon and Splenda.

I bet you could make a killer muffin with this stuff...anyone tried that one yet?
Old 03-15-2001, 08:16 AM   #18  
Spicy Chick

Default Apple Kashi

Hi Kashi lovers.

After reading this thread I checked out some of the Kashi in my grocery store, they have a Apple one.

It is shaped square with real apple inside...has anyone tried this flavor??
Old 03-20-2001, 11:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I buy kashi pilaf (the kind you cook). I put 1/3 a cup kashi and 4/3 cups water in a saucepan before I get in the shower. When I am done getting dressed I pour on 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce and have a really yummy and filling hot breakfast.

In the evening I chop up eggplant, onion, roasted red peppers, kale or whatever other veggies I have handy, toss in some spices (like garlic, salt, pepper and basil) and 1 cup of pilaf and about 3 cups of water and pop it in the oven for 2-3 hours (or only 45 min if I have precooked some pilaf).

It is really impressive and gourmet as a side dish and really low calorie. -- though when my friends aren't around I eat it for dinner as a main dish.

You could add, chicken, tofu, or shrimp for the full on casseroll thing.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:01 PM   #20  

I tried Kashi good friends and Puffins after reading all of your praise. I love both of them!! I didn't care for the cinnamon puffins but loved the regular puffins. The good friends kind of reminded me of a trail mix.

I am going to try the other Kashi products, Thanks for posting all of your testimonials

Jenni
Old 03-21-2001, 07:00 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Cinnamon Puffins

We did buy the Cinnamon Puffins once and they were okay, but a bit too cinnamon-y for us. We like the regular ones!

Barbara's Bakery makes some other good cereals that Trader Joes carries - we like the Shredded Oats & Shredded Spoonfuls as well (especially Jim - who has kicked a Lucky Charms addiction - he likes the slight sweetness of these cereals).

Puffins would probably be a good alternative kids' cereal since they are a bit sweet - but not overwhelmingly so.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:10 AM   #22  
Domestic Goddess

In my local store I've noticed that they also have chocolate Puffins. I havent bought them yet....worried I might get carried away. Has anyone tried these yet?
Old 03-26-2001, 12:26 PM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Just got back last night...

...our Trader Joe's doesn't carry the chocolate Puffins yet...but I did try the new Kashi "Go Lean Crunch" and now I'm hooked on that one as well!

Only problem is that the calories are significantly higher than Good Friends...but I'm a cereal mixer - like to mix different kinds together.

Also, I've started using nonfat light yogurt (Safeway's is less than 100 calories a container!) instead of milk sometimes. A nice change!
Old 03-26-2001, 02:00 PM   #24  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I loooove Kashi my sis swears by the Golean bars and iw ant to try the shakes
Old 04-02-2001, 01:20 PM   #25  
Ready for a change

Can anyone tell me how many WW points 1 c. of kashi puffed cereal is? My box gives nutrition for 20g, not a cup and I don't have a scale yet to weigh it and figure out how much that really equals.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2001, 02:14 PM   #26  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Go Lean CRUNCH...gotta try it!!!

Jim is now totally addicted to Kashi's new GO LEAN CRUNCH! cereal. He actually went to Trader Joe's with me yesterday to make sure I stocked up (bought 4 boxes!).

According to Jim it tastes just like Cracker Jack (and he's right - again...). As you probably know by now, I'm a cereal mixer, so I mix this with Good Friends (which has a little granola thing going on as well). We blew through a box of GLCrunch on Sunday between the two of us...
Old 04-02-2001, 02:19 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Kashi exchanges (from their website)

Polly - according to www.kashi.com -

Regular Kashi (1 cup) = 1 starch/bread exchange

Honey Puffed Kashi (1 Cup) = 1/2 Fruit; 1 Bread
Old 04-02-2001, 02:25 PM   #28  
Ready for a change

Ok I'm dense...

Thank You MrsJim

How does that translate to a WW Point?

*L*
Old 04-02-2001, 03:23 PM   #29  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Exchanges vs. points

Jeeeeez, I haven't been on WW in eons (1997 was the last time, I believe). Has it changed THAT much?!?

Can't believe WW doesn't have exchanges anymore!

Hopefully someone currently on WW will see this and answer!
Old 04-02-2001, 05:25 PM   #30  
Ready for a change

Default ha ha ha

WW has changed THAT much

No longer do you eat 5 veg, 3 fruit, 5 starch,,, yadda yadda.

Now you just eat points. Every food has a point value. You eat, you count points. Stop when you've reached your total for the day.

You could eat ring dings all day, as long as you only eat as many as you can in your allotted point range.

I bought a scale tonight, so I'll weigh out 20 g and then figure out how much it is in cups and do the conversion.

Thanks!!
Closed Thread