General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:26 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down PMD #72 - Prevention Healing Diet

This Diet is currently being promoted on newstands as the Prevention Healing Diet. The
booklet will
be on sale through Nov. 23, 2001.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42
fat
grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

This Diet is currently being promoted on newstands as the Prevention Healing Diet. The
booklet will
be on sale through Nov. 23, 2001.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:48 AM   #2  

Default I am back :)

Hi ladies,

I am back, just came back this afternoon. We went to a fabulous RV park in Las Vegas. Didn't lose anything at the tables but lost at the weight losing game...those buffets were too much of a good thing.

I printed off the thread and read your posts Ledom & Alice. You girls are doing SOOOO good! Congrats on almost being at your mini goal Ledom.

How is Beatrice's eye now?

How is Lacee doing Alice? I am going to get Bentley the Boston over Christmas.

Tomorrow I am going to weigh...I hope I stayed the same, I know I didn't lose anything

I started buying a few things for Christmas...cards and the like. Still no major shopping. Maybe in the up coming week.

It is nice to back and checking in with you. Hey, Shebacat...how are you doing? Hi Janice 47...I am a vegetarian too and don't eat fish...probably the only PHAT vegetarian in the country
Old 11-17-2001, 07:50 AM   #3  
Chick

Default judi!

It is good to have you back home. I'm glad you found a great place to stay - sounds as if you are enjoying your RV.

Thanks for asking about Beatrice. She is getting better every day, though her eye will just never be the same she is feeling well and there are no signs her disability is slowing her down. I really wanted to keep her inside from now on, but she isn't buying that.

Well I have to report that I saw a bald eagle yesterday on my kayak adventure. They nest on the lake close to where I work in the winter. It was pretty thrilling.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:08 AM   #4  
Chick

Default I thought of you this

morning Alice. How did you enjoy the meteor shower? I did NOT make it to the lake, I did manage to view it with D from my front yard though. It was beautiful and I'm sure even more so by the water.

My dinner and a movie with two girlfriends last night to celebrate my birthday turned into a surprise party.
It was so fabulous and so sweet. I just have to brag on my friend who hosted it. She has the most elegant home and spares nothing in any endeavor. As one friend says, "I don't know how she does it, she demands perfection, and GETS it." I guess there were about 16 people and we dined on a lovely meal served on her back deck seated at 5 round tables covered with beautiful white cloths, candles and elegant place settings. I am not sure how to even begin to thank her and her husband. It was just the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. I had a fabulous time.

Today is recovery day. My birthday happily coincides with the release of the Beaujolais Nouveau wine and we put away several bottle last night. So today I am savoring feeling really special and nursing my hangover.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:47 AM   #5  

Angry Good morning......

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. We got our bushes ready for winter on Sat. We did something different this year, and we can only hope that they will withstand all the snow that falls off the roof!

ledom~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!. I hope it's not belated. I did not think your birthday was until later this week. I was also thinking of you this morning. We did watch the meteor shower, it was spectacular. We went to the foot of the lake to watch the show, but it is pretty well lit there, so we came back towards our house and parked on the side of the road near some condos that are just a stones throw away. We have no street lights.....I told you I live out in the woods There was one that literally lit up the sky. It was fantastic. Your dinner party sounded very elegant. I am glad that you had a good time. It's great that Beatrice is doing so well.

judi~WELCOME BACK!!! That's wonderful you had such a good time, and that you are enjoying your RV. Lacee is doing fine, she'll be celebrating her 1st birthday in a few weeks. You will enjoy having Bentley for his first Christmas, he will probably be into everything and you will have quite a few laughs. Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-18-2001, 03:58 PM   #6  

Default we live out in the woods too...

Alice, we don't have street lights either. Glad you saw the meteorite shower. It must have been great.

Happy Birthday Ledom!!!

Got on the scale and was exactly the same as I was two years ago when I started this diet so I have lost then gained back 30 pounds. Though in all honesty I have never been 100% true to the diet. I don't know what I am going to do. I don't want to give up entirely. I guess I should just keep plodding on but this time with some discipline. I don't know why I can do almost everything else but not this

Enough winging...I am glad you girls are doing good it is encouraging that SOMEONE can do it.

Missed the last ferry last night and had to stay in Vancouver in a hotel and got a $173.00 speeding ticket for racing trying to get the ferry.

Lacee is going to be one, time flies, eh? It would have been Parasha's 16 birthday last Thursday. She had a pretty long life for a little dog. I think I can detect a certain smugness about Marley being the only dog left around the place. Well, his nose is going to be out of joint because Bentley will be over for Christmas then staying for a few days while the my D and her BF go to Ottawa for a winter holiday.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Oh, I bought the book "Maximum Food Power for Women" it is published by the people who publish "Prevention". I thought it might help me get a game plan.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:33 PM   #7  
Chick

Default judi

What a drag to miss the ferry? Has that ever happened to you before? I am sorry that happened to you, the ticket adds insult to injury!

I certainly haven't done nearly what I would wish in the last 2 yrs of PMD'ing, but at the same time it could have been worse. We could have gained 10 lbs. a year for the last 2 yrs. which I have been known to do.

I can tell you have a good self image, that is so important. Don't beat yourself up.

I have decided to have a christmas party this year. I used to do it every year but the last few it has been every other year. I am excited about it because I have decided to do it on Dec. 21, the first day of winter. Our semester is over on the 14 so I will have plenty of time to get ready for it.

Company dog will be so much fun for everyone, every one except Marley anyway. I know your D appreciates having a reliable babysitter.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:34 AM   #8  

Angry Hello!

Judi, don't beat yourself up. As a matter of fact, I am going through the same thing you are going through. I know I have to do something....but the discipline is not there. At this point I am just trying not to gain anymore weight. I do know one thing....now that I am not in a diet mode, I have totally stopped obsessing about food and it is a good feeling! I am sorry you missed the last ferry, and the speeding ticket added insult to injury!

ledom~A Christmas Party....that's great!!! They are fun.

I hope the beginning of your week went well.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-19-2001, 04:48 PM   #9  

Default starting again for the zillionth time

Today I started again AGAIN! I have already had 6 veggies

Does a can of Arizona ice tea count as the cup of tea a day? (70 for the green tea and 90 calories for the reg. 1.5 pts - 2pts)

In the time we have been living here we have missed the ferry one other time (we have been here since 1985). It is OK though, it was good we had the dog with us.

I went down to the 5th wheel and brought up cans of stuff I bought in the US. It felt like I went shopping. You guys can get such good STUFF.

I bet your party will be beautiful Ledom. Dec. 21 is a good date too. Everyone feels Christmas-y by then but it isn't too close to Christmas Day itself.

Do you have people to your house too over Christmas Alice? It is mostly just DH, myself and the D and the BF over at our place. It is nice though, I love Christmas. I think I can only remember one "so so" Christmas in my entire life. My DH says he can remember two, it was when a girlfriend was dumped by her husband (who she disliked anyway) and I had to spend ALL day talking and listening to her. We had to go out for pizza and the DH felt very shortchanged The friend went on to another fellow who I think she is still with him today. I dunno... I have lost track of her. The DH periodically brings that Christmas up in conversation.

Last edited by judi; 11-19-2001 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:08 AM   #10  

Default Hello........

I am early this morning. I have to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I want to get there this morning before it starts getting busy later on today and tomorrow. I hate crowds!!

judi~Good for you for starting again! I was very good until last night when we had ice cream I actually went as far as counting points for breakfast. Hopefully I will have the incentive to start again too. I believe that iced tea counts as well as hot tea. It's funny you should ask, as I just read an article in one of last Sun. paper's magazine section about drinking tea. They said in the article that iced tea counts too. I get my tea by drinking iced tea because I really don't care for hot tea. Do you get Crystal Light in your area? They have a fantastic raspberry flavor, already sweetened that you add to cold water. They also have peach flavor, and plain. No, we don't have anyone come to the house for Christmas. My Dad used to come, but he is no longer here, so it will just be DH, Lacee, and myself. A lot of family have passed away, and the rest of them live out of state, and have their own lives. Since this will be my first Christmas without my Dad, our friends have invited us for Christmas, which I thought was very thoughtful of them. I don't think I can recall having a Christmas as you described.

ledom~I hope you are having a great day.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-20-2001, 10:28 AM   #11  
Chick

Default Hey there,

Alice, good girl. You're smart to get to the store before the masses. I hate crowds too!

My mother and D are taking me out tonight for dinner and there will be another b'day cake. Sigh! This week if fabulous, but my oh my. I'm not weighing again in forever!

Exercise, I am going to try to work in extra this week - I figure that is my only defense as the menu for tonight and Thursday includes things I am NOT going to pass up.

We are small too. My mother, D, & I for dinner. It isn't that we wouldn't share, but no takers on the invitations we extended. We enjoy each other though and quiet and mellow is a nice way to spend the holiday.

Girls have fun with your preparations. I am leaving work at 3:30 today for a 5 day weekend. Yippee!!!
Old 11-21-2001, 10:54 AM   #12  

Angry Hello........

I did go to the grocery store early yesterday, and it seemed like everyone else had the same idea I did....it was a zoo Our unseasonable temps have gone, but it's not really cold yet.

ledom, a 5 day weekend to enjoy yourself that's great. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your M & D.

judi, I hope you have a good weekend.

I am in the process of cleaning the house for when my MIL & FIL come up tomorrow. I am taking a much neede break

Take care. Alice
Old 11-21-2001, 03:36 PM   #13  
Chick

Default Hi girls,

I did my running around this morning. Picked D's car up from the shop, got a maintenance hair trim, the mall for hose and makeup, and groceries. I was home by 12. That is something that your store was crowded Alice, the traffic was only moderate this morning in my town. My mother is cooking most of our thanksgiving meal but D is making a pecan pie and she asked me to make macaroni and cheese especially for her. I was so excited today when I went to the store, the local Kroger has added a new freezer with Amy's frozen entrees, all kinds of health food and frozen treats unavailable here in the past.

I did a good workout this morning and plan to exercise lots to offset my indulgences. Invited D's friends to come over for b'day cake. I just had one piece last night and hope to keep it at that. I did nab just a little nibble that D left on her plate earlier today, but all and all things are going ok.

Hope you are all enjoying the season.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:13 PM   #14  

Default Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Alice & Ledom! I hope you girls are enjoying your special day!

All is quiet on the western front, we are literally in the lull before the storm. It is very quiet and kind of grey and a big storm is supposed to be coming our way.

My DH had to take my car to work today because his big truck is in the garage. It is nice to be forced to stay home all day. I am cleaning my dresser drawers, finding forgotten treasures and throwing out junk. What is the shelf life on make up do you think?

I am doing ok on the diet. I made kasha and mushrooms the other day. Ledom, how do you make your macaroni and cheese?

I haven't done any exercising yet. The DH's shirts to iron are on the treadmill still. I plan to get at them today.

Did Beatrice's eye mend?

Is Lacee mooching turkey treats?

Enjoy your day and talk to you soon.

Hi Shebacat!!!
Old 11-22-2001, 06:40 PM   #15  
Chick

Default Hi judi,

Thanks for the greetings.

GROAN!!!! The mac and cheese is not a recipe I should pass along on this board. But what the heck - macaroni, and 3 cheeses, cream, cheddar and velveta, plus milk and butter, salt and pepper all melted together. The one thing that I couldn't stop on by the way. What comfort food! I did ok at lunch with everything. The plan was to have black beans for supper which I cooked this morning. But NO, what could I not get out of my mind when I woke up from my nap? - Mac and Cheese. No more! No more! I have to hide it in the back of the fridge, it is all D's now.

Tomorrow is another day. I did manage to haul myself out for a brisk walk right at dusk. I walked through my neighborhood and really enjoyed seeing all the cars parked around houses, the groups of people outside saying goodnight. The folks that had been out raking leaves as shown by big piles of black bags full of leaves. It is a fabulous time of year.

One more piece of pumpking pie and I am putting this feast day to bed.
Closed Thread