The T Factor Diet: Does ANYONE Count Fat Grams Anymore?

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Anyone remember the T-Factor Diet? You counted fat grams and were allowed between 20 - 40 (women) and 30 -60 (men).

I look back over my dieting history and I've tried them ALL. This was the only thing that ever worked for me, long term, so I'm going back to it.

I know counting fat grams isn't "fashionable" anymore, but does anyone still do this? I've dusted off all my old low fat recipes and said good-bye to Atkins, South Beach, Calorie Queens, Core, Weight Watchers, etc.

Just wondering if there was anyone else out there!
  • Although I don't follow the T-Factor diet, I do watch my fat intake. If I have fat, I opt for the better choices for fat (nuts, olive oil, avocados) rather than the poorer choices (fried foods, rich desserts, too much cheese). I can't say how many grams I have per day as I haven't been tracking in fitday for a while.
  • I remember doing that diet in the 90's. I'm not currently doing it, but I had good results from it.

If it works for you, then it's a good diet for you.

*fondly remembers the processed fat-free carbs of snack-wells* lol
  • Neko, you made me laugh! Yes, I fondly remember the fat free Snackwells and Fat Free Entenmanns cakes as well!

In his revised edition of the T-Factor Diet, Dr. Katahn warns about overdoing the sugary fat free stuff and how it can stall weight loss. I really learned from those years of overdoing the fat free but sugar-loaded carbs. Now I eat only whole grains and lots of fiber.

I also bake with a new product called Z-Trim that the 3 fat chicks posted about on the website. It's an awesome fat substitute.

Well, I'm glad at least someone remembers this plan! It really worked for me for so long, I now can't even remember why I went off it, but now I'm here to stay! I did try Volumetrics for a while, but I honestly find counting fat grams a whole lot easier than finding the energy density of a product. And I also tried WW Core, but it wasn't for me. But isn't it great that there's something for everyone!
  • Allison, your stats are great. Whatever you're doing, it's working!
  • Quote: I also bake with a new product called Z-Trim that the 3 fat chicks posted about on the website. It's an awesome fat substitute.
    It is awesome, isn't it? I'm still "learning" how to mix it for best results. I use it mainly in sour cream (cuz I just love sour cream and cannot stand the lf or ff varieties) and in salad dressing (mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with the store bought kind). It's nice to find something that cuts down on fat without compromising taste or texture.

Quote: Allison, your stats are great. Whatever you're doing, it's working!
    Thanks, it's taken me some time (15 months and counting). Lately I've been less than motivated but am taking this weekend to get myself back on track. I hope to get to goal by summer.
  • Hi, i am a debetic so have to watch fats yes. but not on the plan. i do not keep it to low as have dry skin when i do. good luck. we have to find that plan that works for us. good for you . LaDean
  • Yes!!!
    I've tried every diet and have had yo-yo results. Recently I saw in Women's World about how the dieters who kept their fat intake low had the best results. That reminded me that following the T-Factor Diet was the only thing that ever worked for me. In the early '90s I lost 35# to get back to my normal weight (125#).

Now firmly planted in menopause my weight has just climbed and climbed, but I refuse to stay this way. I dragged out that book just last week and am beginning again.

And thanks for this, Joycelyn
    Quote: In his revised edition of the T-Factor Diet, Dr. Katahn warns about overdoing the sugary fat free stuff and how it can stall weight loss. I really learned from those years of overdoing the fat free but sugar-loaded carbs. Now I eat only whole grains and lots of fiber.
  • Updated T Factor book?
    Does anyone know if there is an updated version of the T FACTOR DIET BOOK?

I have to follow a high fiber plan for my condition. Is this a good diet for me? I also need to lose 30 pounds! ;-(
  • Hi! Yes, the T Factor diet book was updated in 2001.

I think it's amazing that this book is still in print after over 20 years.

I am now on another plan, but my husband had such great weight loss 20 years ago (circa 1990) on this plan, and he's itching for me to go back on it with him.

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still around, last time I posted here was 2007 I think. So tell me, are you on the plan now?
  • p.s. I think it says a lot for this diet, that the book, originally out in 1987 is still around and in print. I know low carb is the "thing" now, but low fat definitely works!
  • I didn't follow anyone's diet but did lose all my weight doing a low fat diet. I kept mine to less than 45g a day. It makes sense to me as unless you overdo the fat free sweet goodies by reducing the fat you're automatically reducing the calories as a gram of fat has more than double the calories than a gram of carb or protein. I also chose not to always have the lowest fat/fat free product but would rather have a smaller amount of the normal fat product (especially things like cheese). Anyhow it worked for me and meant I could still have the cereals, rice and grains that I love and could not live without.

Kitty
  • Kitty, exactly. 45 grams of fat a day is still pretty low compared to what the average American eats!

Just the other day my husband, wanting to go back to counting fat grams (and me doing all the work - men!), asked me how many fat grams I thought he ate that day. Well, and mind you it was only breakfast he ate, we got close to 50 grams. 50 grams of fat and just for breakfast, can you believe it! That shocked him and he definitely feels he wants to start fat gram counting again.

So this morning he had his favorite health bread, spread with fat free cream cheese and low sugar jelly and he was very satisfied, for a fraction of the fat grams he normally eats.

Yeah, I do believe I will start doing this with him.

I just realize I started this thread in the La Weight loss section. I'm not even sure what LA weight loss is. Sorry, sometimes the forums get confusing to me.
  • p.s. Kitty, your stats are awesome. Congratulations! What a fabulous accomplishment.
  • Quote: p.s. Kitty, your stats are awesome. Congratulations! What a fabulous accomplishment.
    Thanks, low-fat really does suit me. I'm not quite as strict now I'm maintaining but I can't see I'll ever go back to where I was as I really don't miss most of the junk.

Kitty