General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 11:45 PM   #1  

Default Success with SlimFast #10, date 10/26/2001

I saw this on the SlimFast site and thought it has some good guidelines.

Your mental attitude is an important factor in your success to lose weight. Take a few minutes to answer the following questions:
Do you want to lose weight now because YOU want to, and not because someone else thinks you should?
Are you willing to increase regular physical activity?
Are you willing to commit a minimum amount of time and effort into planning your sensible meal and snacks?
If you answered yes to these questions, you are ready to begin your weight loss plan.

Starting today, begin the mental, and physical planning to start your diet:

First, place a picture of yourself, at a lower weight, in a very visible place that you will see daily. When you look at the picture, close your eyes, and get a mental image of yourself at that weight now.
Second, plan an activity schedule for yourself for the next week. Schedule 30 minutes every day to be physically active. Choose something you enjoy.
Next, make a grocery list of Slim·Fast products, snacks, fruits, vegetables, and staples that you will need for the next several days.
Lastly, make a mental affirmation of your commitment and desire to lose weight. Your mental thought should be "I can do this, I can lose weight. I will look better and feel better. I will succeed!" Practice saying this mantra to yourself, over and over. Believe it!
Pick the day that you will start the Slim·Fast plan, and attack! You can do it!

I think the picture of myself and the planning of what I eat, Oh, and the exercise - okay, it's all good advise...

Do you do all of these and is one helping you more than others?
Old 10-27-2001, 07:35 PM   #2  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

This could take a while.
I do think all of those suggestions are very helpful. I have a picture of myself on a horse when i was looking sooo good!
It is right next to my computer. I also buy all the supplies I will need for two weeks since I get paid only every other week. I always make sure I have enough. I usually think in terms of meals when shopping. I stay away from pasta and rice as it makes me tired and I notice I feel much better since cutting out carbs(not all just most). I have a piece of meat and 1\2 bag of veggies for dinner. I have whole grain type cereal for breakfast with 1%milk. The Slimfast is my at work meal. I horseback ride at least once a week and I am working on a weight lifting routine. My job is also a good arobic workout for at leat 1\2-1 hour every day.
MY story
When I was a teen I had a big weight problem I was about 250 at 19. I went to collage to train horsses and lost a lot of weight from all of the excersise. I was in such good shape when I was 22. I was 175 at 5'4". I looked really good! I tend to be prety mucsular and larger framed so I caried that weight quite well.
I met my husband and was married in 1993 and he was a big eater and liked the tv so I became sort of like him. I was still pretty active but a knee injury had made me less able to ride as much as before. Then I had two bad riding accidents and stopped riding totaly for a year. I was prety depressed and gained more. Then in 1999 my husband became very ill and died after about 3 months in hospital. The depression was so bad I just did nothing but eat. I ended up at 320 in 2000. Finally I woke up and realized I needed to do something about my health before I had a heart attack. So I got a job and tried using Slimfast just to have something easy and convinient for lunch at work. I lost about 30 pounds in two months. I found this site in Jan 2000 and it has been a big help. The weight has not come off fast it took a year to loose4 60 pounds and this year I have so far only lost about ten but it is still a loss so I am making progress. I have over time worked out the diet above and prety much keep the calories around 2000 and the fat between 40-50. I eat things I like and treat myself every week to my favorites.
So thats pretty much it. Anything I forgot? Just ask. I'm hare to give support as well as get it!
Old 10-27-2001, 08:17 PM   #3  

CowGirl

I appreciate your food ideas. I have been thinking of eating my breakfast at work. I just don't feel like eating when I first get up - 6AM - but by the time I can take a 10 min break at work - somewhere around 9:30 or 10AM my body is ready to get food. I think I will try it this week and see how it goes.

I also was drawn to the dinner you eat. I usually settle for canned soup and it just isn't making it!!! Having protein and vegies seems to be more sensible and filling. My problem there is I don't eat red meat and am pretty fussy about fish and poultry. I will try it for the next week and see how that goes also. Will have to season those vegies because I LOVE spicy food.

NOW, your story....WOW is all I can start with. I feel so sad about your husband. Emotions from losing someone you love take a long time to work through. It sounds like you are having success working on your health and I admire you.

What is the job you got and do you like it?

I have recently made some life changes and have some mixed feelings that I continue to wrestle with but know at my age I have to put my health first.

I like the idea of buying all of my groceries twice a month as I get paid every other week also. My brother and his 5 kids live across the road from me and I feel this obligation to have chips and cookies for when they stop over. Some days it's an issue for me, having that food in the house and others it doesn't bother me at all. I know "normal eaters" can do that so I have been trying too also. If it is too much for me to handle I will have to quit for a time and they will have to starve!!!! I know them and THAT will never happen.

I hope you keep posting here. I tend to slack off when no one posts. You are needed to keep me on the road to health!!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:48 PM   #4  

Default Haven't posted in a while

Hi everyone

I haven't posted in a while because I have found it very hard going the past 3 weeks, my will power has gone I am not sure where it went! I have been on the plan for 11 weeks and have only managed to lose 7lbs I was doing ok and was really motivated to lose around 70lbs, the problem is with me is that when I do go off programme I find it difficult to get back ON to programme. I have still been doing around 1hour of exercise a day but am not losing any weight because I keep on pigging out , sometimes the road ahead seems so long that it puts me off... I know I HAVE to lose the weight in order to feel healthier and fitter, and to look better.

What I have decided to do is to shop for the week ahead so I have loads of healthy alternatives ready when I feel the urge to snack, I am also going to start planning my main meal in the evening and sticking to the calories.

I feel better writing this down, and will start tomorrow with more determination
Old 10-29-2001, 06:58 PM   #5  

Glad you are posting glen67 - I feel like you, that is just so far to go.

I did get groceries today for the week and after a quick trip to see my Dad I will have turkey and vegies for dinner. I will be trying to follow your example, CowGirl.....

Later.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:32 PM   #6  

More tips from the SlimFast site.

Keep a mental picture of yourself at your goal weight. When you feel tempted to overeat, close your eyes and envision this picture. Take a deep cleansing breath.

Set reasonable goals for weight loss. You didn't gain the weight overnight, so it won't come off that fast either. Take it "one day at a time."

Focus on a healthier weight for you, not someone else's ideal weight. If you are not sure of your goal weight, click here to calculate your Body Mass Index.

Be prepared to slip occasionally. We all do. It doesn't mean you've "blown it." If you overdid it on Saturday night, just get back on track on Sunday with your Slim-Fast Plan.

Reward yourself for every bit of progress. Set nonfood goals and rewards in advance (new clothes, tickets to a concert or sporting event, a new CD... anything you consider a treat). Make a list and post it where you will see it daily.

Measure weight loss in gradual body changes and how your clothing fits (our weights naturally change from day to day).

Have a positive view of your body. No matter how imperfect you may view your body, it actually does amazing things for you. It is a gift and being friends with your body is central to your long term happiness.

Keep visualizing yourself reaching your goal.

Make long-term life goals, and focus on the "do" instead of the "don't". Concentrate on making healthier choices, focus on feeling better, healthier and more energized.

How is everyone doing....
Old 11-02-2001, 12:00 AM   #7  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Glad to see people posting again!
As for the kids next door, well, there is no time like youth to develope and apreciation for healthy snacks. Try offering fruit insteasd of cookies and chips. After all think bach to your own youth. I don't know about you but that is when I developed a lifetime of poor eating habbits. At least the exposure to someone with healthy eating habits might help them. Explain to them why you no longer have the junk food for them you might be surprised to learn that they care too given the oportunity to choose.

My current job is at a reasturaunt called Hoss's Steak and Sea House. I work there as a salad bar attendant and in some other areas also. I really like it but just today I got offered a possible position as a veterinary assistant and I may accept that in a few months. I went to school to work with horses and this vet works only with horses. Both jobs require a good deal of energy.

I agreee that sometimes waiting untill later in the morning for breakfast is a good idea. I usually don't feel too hungary first thing. Since I know I need to eat I usually do get something down though. I need to be prety regular as I may be somewhat Hypoglycemic. I get pretty sick if I don't eat and I don't get hungary before it happens. Instead of feeling hungary I feel very sick and not at all like eating.

Well glad to see people here. Keep comming back even if you are not doing too well. It took me over a year to loose the 70 pounds so give yourself some time. If you are really excersising a lot perhaps you are just loosing mass but not weight. Muscle weighs more that fat. Also are you feeling any different phisically? I feel so much more flexible and energetic. Try measuring yourself once a month. Even if you are not loosing weight or mass, if you are noticing a difference in energy level or just the way your body feels that is progress. Be very aware of your body. keep on trying!
Old 11-03-2001, 12:33 PM   #8  

Hi everyone

Still off programme but am still drinking water and exercising, I had noticed however that I haven't been losing weight but my thighs and legs are definately thinner must be all the exercise I am doing.

Need some advice as when its my TOM I tend to consume everything in sight for about a week prior, I have absolutely no will power and as soon as its arrived I am ok and the cravings have gone drinking water only goes so far!

Brenda
Old 11-07-2001, 09:59 AM   #9  

Default WHERE IS EVERYBODY!

Hi there

Where is everyone? I decided to only replace one meal a day with slimfast and follow a calorie counted plan instead of 2 meals, and I am actually sticking to it at the moment, I think that variety is the spice of life , I have managed to lose another 1lb, its slow going but its going

Hope to hear from the rest of you soon

see ya

Brenda
Old 11-07-2001, 08:51 PM   #10  

I need a kick...I have to find some way to start taking off the pounds.

I got my work uniforms which we start wearing in January and the jackets are too snug. I REFUSE to have the altered even though I think it is the tailors fault for measuring wrong. Anyway, I want to lose 10+ pounds by January so the jackets aren't snug...any ideas....
Old 11-08-2001, 10:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Hi girls!

Ladybug-what kinds of exercise are you doing?
I need a kick also...It is very important to keep coming back even if we are not doing well-it keeps us nearer to our goals.
Aphil
Old 11-10-2001, 04:59 PM   #12  

Hi everyone! My name is Marcie and I am starting Slim Fast! I have been doing LA Weight Loss..I started in May and then had to get off of the program for financial reasons and just haven't been able to get back on it. I have done Slim Fast before and was very successful with it, but is has been 11 years. I am at my all time highest weight and just so miserable. I weighed today at 199. My clothes are all so tight that I dread getting out of bed in the mornings. I do drink a ton of water but it doesn't really seem to help. I will continue though b/c it is a habit. I would love to hear some of your success stories and how much each of you have lost. I think it is very important to have a support group to talk to on a daily basis. I am excited about the plan and hope to lose 10 pds by Christmas. I know that is a lot but I really believe I can do it. I am planning on having a shake for breakfast and a shake for dinner. I will have a normal lunch. I also bought some snack bars. Any tips that any of you have would be so helpful!

Thanks!!
Marcie
Old 11-11-2001, 12:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi all,
Marcie-glad to meet you! You and I are weighing in at about the same! I hope you reach your goal at Christmas, but it may be just a bit easier to lose 5-8 pounds by then, since it is already mid-November.
I have gotten a lot of excercise today-working on our new house, getting it ready so we can move in next weekend.
Have a good evening!
Aphil
Old 11-11-2001, 01:09 PM   #14  

aphil Moving - Ick....I just moved last May and still feel unorganized. I could go on for hours about my move but will spare you....

I have to admit my exercise has been non existant. I leave for work by 7AM and don't get home until 6PM (25 miles each way add to hours gone) so I do some pick up around the house and by then it's nearly time for bed for me. I have to get back to doing something, which will be in the house since I live in Minnesota and it's too dark and cold to go outside when I get home, or when I get up for that matter.

I keep saying I will start - but don't. I think this week I will try for just exercising one day as a goal....it might be my "kick-off" - and if not next week I will for the two days until I get into this habit again.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #15  

Hey everyone! Well my first day has gone good! I don't feel as hungry as I thought I might. I even went to the movies and didn't even want the popcorn which is good for me!
Aphil, you may be right about my xmas goal. I will still shoot for 10, but if I don't make it that is okay. If I could lose 2 pounds a week that would be fantastic..it would be tough...but wonderful. That is what I am shooting for! I tell ya...I have now organized my closet where all the clothes that I would love to fit into are in the front so I have to look through them to get to the clothes that actually fit. That really gives me incentive! There is a pair of jeans that I want to get into so badly and they are right in front reminding me that I cant wear them.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

MarcieW
Closed Thread