General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 07:21 PM   #1  

Anyone tried it? Would love to hear your comments.
Old 02-27-2001, 09:08 PM   #2  
I WILL get to my goal!

NewMommy: You can get the same thing for FREE through fitday.com There are other FREE ones too, but I have found FitDay to be the most user friendly and the best so far. I souldn't see paying all that money to EDiets when I get the sort of the same service for free elsewhere. Now, the only thing that is different between the two is that with FitDay you do not get a Nutrionist to create a special diet for you. But to be completely honest with you, you can get that smae service for REALLY cheap or even free from your local city Health Department. Or you can buy a book like the Dr. Atkins Diet or some other diet book and create your own plan for a lot cheaper as well.

Personally I have never known anyone who has tried EDiets. I even asked everyone on this board if anyone had tried it and no one had. I wouldn't use them unless one of those free sites wasn't helping me all that much. But, I have been losing weight with FitDay. It is more me, but being able to type in my food intake and have them calculate my calories, fat, ect for me it has helped me see HOW much I eat and WHY I can't lose weight which in turn, causes me to watch my eating. They also offer a place to put in ANY physical exercise from walking to typing on a computer all day to having sex! (Yes, I know they even have that!!) The site tells you how many calories you are burning with all of that activity. They even have SHOPPING on there! You can also track your weight progress. They have many charts to help you track your weight loss and I find them VERY useful. All of this for FREE!!

Anyways, I'll shut up now. :laugh:

Good luck.

------------------
"A dollar for your thoughts" ~Marilyn Monroe
Old 02-28-2001, 02:27 AM   #3  

Thanks for the site! I had not been there. They have some great info. I realy like that eDiets prints my shopping list. Gee am I lazy or what?? Now if they would go to the store and buy everything and have it delivered now THAT would be worth the 10 bucks!

Thanks again!
Stephanie
Old 03-07-2001, 12:14 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Hi Stephanie!

Funny you should ask about eDiets...I am currently a member, and have been for a month now. I have currently lost 12 pounds with the support of several of the threads I have found on the eDiets site. They have so many to choose from as far as support goes. My personal favorite is a working moms support board. They also have a stay at home mom support board for someone like yourself...to connect with even more people you have things in common with. I am also currently part of a 21 day challenge, where I am part of a team where we pledge so much weight to lose, and so much exercise. Within this challenge there are currently over 10 teams of 8 or more individuals rooting each other on in the challenge. There are also 1 day challenges, 7 day challenges, and so much more. If you feel you needed added encouragement, you can sign up for a mentor program where you are given a coach and post in a team atmosphere. There is a recipe board, where they have online recipe review contests for added fun if you enjoy cooking. The support boards are endless, with more than enough options for anyone.

I like that they give you three options for the meal plan they provide (convenient: consisting of frozen meals and on the go entrees, recipe based: for those who like to cook at home: and combination: combining convenient and recipe based).

They have online dieticians/psychologists that hold online meetings that talk about various topics almost daily. Plus they post daily advice though articles, and their is support threads where psychologists can be there for support in answering medical problems or emotional concerns. Plus, they have an online chat room (with mulitple rooms going at once) where you can always find someone to talk to about healthy living. You can also get direct support from an online dietician if needed, which is always a plus.

I am sure as mentioned above, that there may be free alternatives that work out wonderfully. But I have found myself a nice little home at eDiets, and have connected with some wonderful people who have been a great support system. Plus, I like that I have options for my menu--and can print out my shopping list for added convenience (like you mentioned). Like any plan, its all about YOU and what you put into it. I am quite happy with it, and will keep on plucking down the $10.00. Its definately been worth it for me!

Just my humble opinion...wishing you success, Karen

Last edited by krngallo; 03-07-2001 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:49 AM   #5  

Hello new mommy & Krngallo,
I was glad to see a post on e diets. I have been on for almost a week now. My weigh in is tomorrow. I now I have lost. I feel great. This plan is easy to follow. I am one of those persons who have tried everything. I now how to count calories and everything else. This plan has made me commit more, maybe because of the cost, It is also convenient forme. I am on the combination plan. I do have to change a few of my menus. And it is nice because they give you your choice of change for that meal. That way I now I am getting the right portions and the right things. Krngallo, I am glad to hear you have been doing so well on this plan, It motivates me more. I haven't posted on the message boards at ediets yet. I was on this one a year ago, mainly on the low carb. Well it would be nice to hear from you. I will try some of the threads out on e diets. It will help to eep going I thin. Take care.
weeder
Old 03-07-2001, 10:56 AM   #6  

I have been a member of e-diets for one week now and lost 2 1/2 pounds the first week. I love it!
Old 03-07-2001, 09:46 PM   #7  

Beacon,
Wow that's great. My weight in is in the morning. I know that usually the first week is good. I also know it will take me awhile to lose. And I am happy with that. Better than losing 10 in 2 to three weeks and go off and gain 20 back. I am trying to learn a good way of eating.
Good luck to all
Old 03-08-2001, 01:38 PM   #8  

Debbie----Look....we have something else in common...we joined 3FC the same month....a long time ago!!
Old 03-08-2001, 04:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Fellow eDieter here. My weigh in was Tuesday I have lost 3 pound. That is the first 3 pounds in almost 2 years (seriously)

Sounds like Beacon, Weeder and I have somethings in common. I actually found eDiet.com through links here. I find it very user friendly, goal oriented and I think I have found the pyschology to my weight loss. If I am paying for it I am going to pay more attention to what I eat.

My goal is 50 pounds or 4 or 5 pants sizes which every I hit first.

Good luck to all!

Amy
Old 03-08-2001, 10:43 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default eDiets - doesn't sound too bad!

I've never actually 'joined' eDiets but last year I was on their free e-mail list for awhile. From what you all are saying, the program sounds pretty sensible - especially since they give you different food options!

As long as they don't make you commit to a long-term contract, $10 a month sounds like a bargain! Like many posters here, I use the www.fitday.com site to keep track of my calorie intake/expenditure - and it works for me since I consider myself to be fairly well-versed in areas of nutrition and weight loss...but for those of us out there who need more information and structure, eDiets sounds like a great deal!

All you eDieters out there - let us know how you're doing! Take care.

MrsJim
265/156/145
Old 03-08-2001, 10:54 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default eDiets - doesn't sound too bad!

I've never actually 'joined' eDiets but last year I was on their free e-mail list for awhile. From what you all are saying, the program sounds pretty sensible - especially since they give you different food options!

As long as they don't make you commit to a long-term contract, $10 a month sounds like a bargain! Like many posters here, I use the www.fitday.com site to keep track of my calorie intake/expenditure - and it works for me since I consider myself to be fairly well-versed in areas of nutrition and weight loss...but for those of us out there who need more information and structure, eDiets sounds like a great deal!

All you eDieters out there - let us know how you're doing! Take care.

MrsJim
265/156/145
Old 03-08-2001, 11:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

MrsJim,
There is not a long term obligation but you can save money the more months you sign up for.

It was like 75.00 for a year. They provide your shopping list, multiple conviences- such as substitions for foods, tips for eating out, the 100 best foods for your diet.... blah blah blah I sound like an info-mercial. I am just excited, it has been two years since I lost any real weight.

My husband told me today he was looking forward to seeing "less" of me....... about 50 lbs less....

I haven't seen the lowerer side of 170 in over a two years......

It really sucks.... I am just ready to loose....
Amy
Old 03-09-2001, 10:03 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'4"

Talking

Amy and all the eDieters,

What support groups have you found on eDiets (if any) that you enjoy? I really enjoy their message boards, as there are so many to choose from and so much support. I love it!

Monday is the beginning of my 6th week...and so far I am down 15 pounds. The first two weeks I dropped 5 pounds each week, due to a lot of water weight I think. But have since slowed to a healthy 1 to 2 pound loss each week. I find focusing on each day, and taking one day challenges really helped me when I started. I signed up on the 1 day challenge board initially, which has since led me to a 21 day Ultimate challenge. Initially I really needed the extra encouragement to get through 24 hours. Learning to break my old habits of midnight snacking and being an emotional eater was my hardest battle. Since the beginning I have gradually started exercising, and try and increase my workout slightly each week. I have also incorporated roller skating at least once a week. It was hard to get my buns started moving, but now I actually look forward to it. Instead of being a stress eater, I am becoming a stress exerciser! I would love to hear how you are all doing w/ the plan.

Wishing you all success, Karen (aka: krngallo on eDiets)

The following is an article I found on an eDiets thread...thought it was worth sharing:

HOW 8 GLASSES A DAY KEEP FAT AWAY

Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for
permanent weight loss. Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat.
Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in
water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: the kidneys can't function properly without
enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped into the liver. One of the
liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do
some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat
remains stored in the body, and weight loss stops.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives it as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra-cellular spaces
(outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs, and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at
best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat
and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs - plenty of water. Only then will
stored water be released. If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to
blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water
your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy - just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium.

The overweight person needs more water than the thin one. Larger people have metabolic loads. Since we
know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water.
Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by
preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss - shrinking
cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all that metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste. Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary
source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

So far, we've discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:
-- The body will not function properly without enough water and can't metabolize stored fat efficiently.
-- Retained water shows up as excess weight.
-- To get rid of excess water you must drink more water.
-- Drinking water is essential to weight loss.

How much water is enough? On the average, a person should drink eight 8-ounce glasses every day. That's
about 2 quarts. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess
weight. The amount you drink also should be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and
dry. Water should preferably be cold - it's absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water. And some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help burn calories. To utilize water most
efficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:

Morning: 1 quart consumed over a 30-minute period

Noon: 1 quart consumed over a 30-minute period

Evening: 1 quart consumed between five and six o'clock

When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. When this
happens, you have reached the "breakthrough point". What does this mean?

- Endocrine-gland function improves.
- Fluid retention is alleviated, as stored water is lost.
- More fat used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat.
- Natural thirst returns.

There is a loss of hunger almost overnight. If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown
out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain, and loss of thirst. To
remedy the situation you'll have to go back and force another "breakthrough".
Old 03-10-2001, 12:58 PM   #14  

I was just browsing through the messages and I'm really glad that I did. Your post on water was really enlightening for me. I know that I'm supposed to drink water, of course, we all know it but to actually have some explanation was great. I go through periods where I just can't face it. It doesn't make sense but it happens. I think I get bored and constantly going to the bathroom is a hassle. Whenever I cut back I always pay big time. I gain weight, and now I've ended up with a uti which is miserable. Can I say anything more-I'm reforming for good this time.

Thanks Again Krngalla
Linda
Old 03-12-2001, 11:24 AM   #15  

Well good morning everyone. It is snowing here in Minnesota this morning. I want spring. Well I weighed in last Thurs. I lost 2 1/2 lbs. I was happy with that because it was less than a week on the e diet. I love the choice of foods on this. It's great. It has been easy for me so far.
Beacon,
Yes we both joined here the same month a long time age. That was when I was on the low carb thing. I lost 20 lbs. fast, but gained back 30. So now I am just eating the right foods with the ediets.
Glad to here others are on ediets also.
Krngallo,
I have only been on the 40's support group. Only a couple of times. I have read a few other ones. Just haven't got in much.
Well keep in touch
weeder
Closed Thread