3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Engagement rings! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/99252-engagement-rings.html)

NewDay4MeToo 12-03-2006 11:57 PM

Engagement rings!

What does yours look like? What is your dream ring?

We have just begun to look. Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone I know IRL. My hands are fairly petite, so we want something pretty that doesn't overwhelm my hand. (size 5 finger, even though I'm ~40 pounds overweight) I do think I would like a diamond ring. But we're looking for something a little more intricate than just a solitaire. I think some filigree or engraving could be nice, or additional stones for more sparkle. Right now I just have lots of ideas that don't seem to be coming to one beautiful, defining ring yet.

Anyway, what about your ring? Any ideas?

da fat n da furious 12-04-2006 12:14 AM

I had the princess cut solitaire diamond...and 2 wedding bands on each side,,with 2 diamonds each.
For our 15th wedding anniversary my husband had a ring designed with 5 diamonds,,,and looking from the side 2 tone gold scrolls...very pretty. 4 more years for our 25th and I know hes already looking...

northernstar 12-04-2006 05:06 AM

Oooohhhh it's exciting, isn't it? I just got mine! My fiancé picked it out. It wasn't the one I really wanted: there was a mixup. I told him I wanted the one in the display, but when he went to get it, the display had been changed! It took me a few days to get used to it, but I love it. It's a three-stone princess cut with baguettes on the side.
I absolutely love the three-stone rings. Because there are three diamonds, they carefully disguise each other's flaws, so the jeweller can use bigger, more flawed diamonds. Depending on your price range, this can allow you a bigger ring that appears flawless, but is much cheaper than a flawless, same carat-sized solitaire.

nelie 12-04-2006 09:26 AM

I did a lot of research for my engagement ring. I knew I wanted something that was simple but not plain. I also knew that I wanted a round cut diamond although I considered other stones as well. I thought I wanted a multiple stone band until I saw them in person. It really does make a difference when you see rings in person. One thing I liked were the cathedral/raised settings and when we went looking, we found the perfect one. We then picked out a diamond to match it.

This is similar to the engagement ring I got:
http://wherethediamondsare.com/detai...renceNumber=27

Since you are petite, a multiple stone ring may be a bit overwhelming for your hand. I saw some really nice rings that had small accent diamonds which could also be an option. We also ended up buying a band that 10 small round cut diamonds and it looked very nice with the engagement ring. It kind of added that extra diamond look without adding extra flash to the solitaire.

DH and I spent about 3 hours at the jeweler when we were picking out the ring and diamond. I have to say that it was a very fun day :)

healthytoad 12-04-2006 10:54 AM

OOO Rock question!

Not that you asked, but general info on diamonds:

You will get a better deal if you purchase your stone loose and then have it set. Here are a few places for information online:

(from a gemology board...like 3FC only for rockhounds ;) )

http://gemologyonline.com/diamondgrading.html

http://gemologyonline.com/diamond_dictionary.html

http://gemologyonline.com/diamond_cutting.html

If your city every has rock and gem shows (check with your local club) You can some times get much much MUCH MUCH better deals there than you can at your local jewelry store where the mark up is absurd.

To answer your question lol I have a round brilliant hearts and arrows cut(best cut for a white diamond for sparkle!) and two sapphires on each side. But one of my incentives for reaching my goal weight is that my husband will cut me two red spinels to replace the sapphires. (unless I change my mind..again... lol)

I have very small hands too, and decided to go with just under a carat for the diamond. Prices jump way up on diamonds once they reach that magical carat mark. If I had it to do all over, knowing what I know now about the marketing of diamonds and the true rarity of other stones, I would have gone for a big ol ruby! :)

nelie 12-04-2006 11:04 AM

ejm mentioned it but I forgot to! I highly (highly highly highly) recommend going with a good cut on a diamond, it really does make a difference. I've been told by some that my diamond is the brightest one they have ever seen mostly because it is an ideal/brilliant cut (hearts and arrows). The jeweler I went to had a computer that could measure the cut of a diamond and it was pretty amazing to see.

I will agree that the diamond industry does stink and if there is another gemstone that you like, you could always go with that as well. The reason I went with a diamond was basically I wanted something that would go with everything. I think rubies and sapphires are definite good alternatives to diamonds.

sierra_ttw 12-04-2006 11:34 AM

We've tentatively picked this one out:

http://www.birks.com/index.asp?cFlag...tID=0&LangID=1

I always though I wanted a simple, single-diamond ring, but as soon as I tried this one on I fell in love with it! The matching wedding band is white gold with little diamonds.

junebug41 12-04-2006 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the one that we picked out (except with a princess cut). I agree that trying them on is best- the ring that I had always imagined looked just awful on my hand. I picked this one at random and the second I tried it on, we both knew. Now, all he has to do is ask :rolleyes: Thanks for all the good advice, nelie and ejm!

NewDay4MeToo 12-04-2006 01:07 PM

Thanks for your input so far, ladies

I can be a little compulsive about things like this, so I have done research on diamonds. From what I have read, cut does seem to be most important.

One issue that the boy and I have been discussing is the diamond industry. How it is so awful, the workers are strip-searched as they leave work every day, etc. He feels pretty strongly about it and I am really struggling. I have always wanted a diamond ring, but I'm not exactly sure why. Is that just because it is what the media has told me I want? I think the point that a diamond matches everything is pretty valid.

Anyway, I do not personally want a three-stone ring. I think it would be a bit much on my finger, and I like the traditional look of a single center stone.

Though this ring is not perfect, I do like the little scrolls on the sides
http://www.kohls.com/products/produc...=1165255532873

It is exciting! We are stretching out this process and enjoying it. I have yet to actually try on a ring yet. So far just some window shopping as we were doing other Christmas shopping.

nelie 12-04-2006 01:31 PM

Well I will say that those that work in the expensive gem industries are probably looked at very critically. I remembered watching something on TV about the ruby industry in Thailand? (I can't remember the country) but the workers were also searched leaving work. They did expect the workers to try to sneak out small sized rubies but if they took out larger ones, they'd be in trouble.

One of the major problems with the diamond industry though is that it is marketed so heavily and they are more expensive than they should be because the supply is controlled heavily.

We had been shopping around for a few months before we actually picked a jeweler to go to and actually go with the expectation of buying something. I would also advise to work out your budget ahead of time. DH and I worked that out before we went to the jeweler so that we had an idea of the price range that we were looking at.

I would also try to work out the fine details before you go like what type of metal would you want? Platinum? white gold? yellow gold? 18k? 14k? As well as figuring out approximate desires in the 4cs arena. Of course this may require multiple trips to jewelers to get an idea.

bride2bethin 12-04-2006 01:47 PM

Mine is 1/3 caret tw, channel set. It has three stones, small but E rated color (second most colorless) and VVSII (very slightly imperfect clarity), set in 18k white gold. It is pretty small, but that is important because I hate having jewelry on, and I really didn't want anything that stood up because I do a lot of work with my hands and didn't want it in the way. It also has small white goldwork detail in the channel between the stones. I like it a lot. It is very not gawdy, and looks quite band like. He did good :)

That emerald and diamond ring is very pretty.

NewDay4MeToo 12-04-2006 02:17 PM

Hi Nelie. Thanks for all your thoughtful responses, and congratulations on your wedding! Is your avatar pic from the wedding? Are there more pics from your wedding around 3fc? Your weight loss is very inspirational, I like reading your comments.

We have talked a bit about the C's. Definitely higher than I1. I think I would prefer VS1 or VS2, but I imagine S1 could be fine, depending on what the inclusions are. We have brought up G,H color since it is white enough for anyone looking, but not as expensive as the less-colored stones. We had also said around 1 carat. The metal is up in the air. We have talked a little about price, but finding a ring that we both like seems to be the highest priority. Of course, I can see all of this changing greatly once we actually start looking seriously and trying on rings.

Does anyone have pictures of rings to share?

nelie 12-04-2006 03:00 PM

Christine, Thanks :) I don't have pictures yet, the wedding was a couple weeks ago and I've barely started to collect some pictures of it. Once I get some more, I plan to post them.

I don't have any pictures of my rings because it is hard to take pictures of diamond rings. I've tried and even with the flash off, they come out funky. I don't know how jewelers do it on their websites.

FrouFrou 12-04-2006 03:29 PM

I love the sapphires and diamond ring, so pretty. I was going to suggest something with maybe your birthstone or the stone of the month you are getting married.

Mine is a marquise solitaire but with a diamond and emerald wrap. Has 2 emeralds and 3 diamonds on each side. I loved the emeralds because we were married in May on my birthday so it made it all the more special. Two years ago on our 6th anniversary DH bought me an anniversary band with seven diamonds for the seven years we had been together. I get compliments all the time on how pretty it is. Even had a few people grab my hand and say let me see your ring. If I had to do it again I would go the other way and get an emerald ring with just a couple little diamonds around it. I like diamonds but like something with some color to it. My cousin when she married did her birthstone as well...an opal with two small diamonds, really pretty. A friend did an opal with rubies around it and then a plain wedding band to match, it was really pretty.

I don't have pictures either for the same reasons. DH took a few when he gave me the anniversary ring but didn't turn out.

Keep us posted...I love looking at jewelry!

EZMONEY 12-04-2006 08:58 PM

This is a picture of my daughter's ring...have no idea where her fiance got it, but I thought I would share.