3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Have any of you heard of Versant? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/98969-have-any-you-heard-versant.html)

cbmare 11-28-2006 07:44 PM

Have any of you heard of Versant?

My DD is getting ready to take her State Board for nursing. She's been accepted at one of the hospitals and they are sending her to Versant training. What do you know about it? (I've probably spelled it wrong).

TIA

crazynette826 11-29-2006 01:19 AM

You spelled it right! It's a program for New Grads. It kind of helps break them slowly into the high pressure world of nursing. There's a high turn over rate with new grads, so they're trying this new program to see if it helps retain them. It's a combination of classroom, hands on, and buddying them up with another new grad. It gives them someone to go to with questions and concerns. It slows down the training, so they're not turned out into the high stress hospital setting right away. I think it sounds like a great program! I wish they had had one when I was a new grad. That first year can be stressful!

cbmare 11-29-2006 12:04 PM

Thanks! She interviewed with Lucille Packard Children's Oncology and it looks like that is where she will be. Since it's an arm of Stanford, I think it's a nice feather in her cap. They won't hire anyone who hasn't had experience or that course. They are sending her to it.

It does sound like a very valuable course. Thanks again!

crazynette826 11-29-2006 07:42 PM

That's awesome! I also started in Children's Oncology, but in Denver. I loved it!!! It can be a tough area of nursing to work in, but so rewarding! It takes a special kind of person to work there. Tell her I hope she enjoys it, and good luck to her!

cbmare 11-30-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazynette826 (Post 1484644)
That's awesome! I also started in Children's Oncology, but in Denver. I loved it!!! It can be a tough area of nursing to work in, but so rewarding! It takes a special kind of person to work there. Tell her I hope she enjoys it, and good luck to her!

Thank you to you for going into that field. What made you decide on that? Many years ago, CC (my DD), was in an accident. (She fell down a mountain at Bible Camp). She was very restricted in what she could do. I got her fabric paints and books. One of the books was one by Erma Bombeck. (I Wanna Grow Up, I Wanna Grow Hair, I Wanna Go To Boise, I think) It was the one about children with cancer. That book left an impression on her. That's why she pursued it.

lilybelle 11-30-2006 12:42 PM

I haven't heard of this Verzant. I wish it had been available when I graduated nursing school. It's so easy for new nurses to be thrown out there with 12 or so patients and be totally overwhelmed. The burnout rate is so high. Congrat's for your daughter having this opportunity for additional training.
My 2nd oldest step-daughter graduates RN school on Dec. 7th. She has a job lined up with the home health company she has worked at for the past 3 yrs.

midwife 12-01-2006 12:23 AM

I agree that sounds like an amazing program. They did not have it when I was a new grad (also in CA). The first year was hellacious. Sometimes I am surprised I survived. Too dumb to quit, I guess!

Now life is good, but when you are doing the whole "novice to expert" things and people's lives are in your hands....yowsas!!

crazynette826 12-03-2006 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmare (Post 1485308)
Thank you to you for going into that field. What made you decide on that? Many years ago, CC (my DD), was in an accident. (She fell down a mountain at Bible Camp). She was very restricted in what she could do. I got her fabric paints and books. One of the books was one by Erma Bombeck. (I Wanna Grow Up, I Wanna Grow Hair, I Wanna Go To Boise, I think) It was the one about children with cancer. That book left an impression on her. That's why she pursued it.

I love that book. Lurlene McDaniel is another author that writes about pediatric health problems. Mostly cancer, but other longterm illnesses also. I love her books and have been reading them since I was like 10 y.o. Cancer has always interested me, I always wanted to be a nurse, and I love working with babies and kids. So I put all three together and started there. I loved it! I especially loved the long term relationship you get to have with your patients. I still keep in touch with a few of them. It broke my heart when one of the kids would die, but when one would finish treatment and we got to have a last chemo party, there was nothing better!! However when I moved I decided to try something different. So now I work in a NBICU (newborn intensive care unit). That's the best thing about nursing, there's all sorts of different fields.