General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Question How long did it take you to get pregnant?

DH and I have been talking and praying and talking and praying, and decided earlier this evening that we would like to start trying to have our first child. I know that I need to make an appointment with my OBGYN and with the dentist and be even MORE careful about what I put into my body than before. I've been on orth-tricyclen-lo since February of this year. My questions are:

1. How long after stopping birth control did it take you or someone you know to get pregnant?

2. Do you have any tips to boost fertility? (We were going to do fertility tests before trying, but have decided to go ahead and give it 6 months or so of trying before going in for testing.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Oh! And you're all the first ones to know...we're waiting until Thanksgiving to announce it to the family!

~Kim
Old 11-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Not sure how old you are, but I was 28 and 31. The first time was practically immediately after deciding to start, but I wasn't taking BC pills at the time. The second time, it took a month after stopping the pill.

If you have no reason to believe fertility will be a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure there are lots of opportunities for fertilization to take place.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

How exciting, Kim!

I'd been on the pill for 8 years and casually mentioned to my OB at a routine visit that we were planning to start our family soon. She suggested that I get some blood titers done - the ones that show your immunization status - and it ended up showing that the MMR I'd been given as a kid wasn't providing immunity. Anyways, I got the shot, and was told to wait at least 1 month and up to 3 months before getting pregnant. I got pg the 2nd cycle after we started TTC.

As far as increasing your chances of getting pregnant... I'd been tracking my BBT each morning (along with recognizing other things about my body) for the months after I got the MMR until we started TTC and I found out that I ovulated like clockwork. Knowing when I was O'ing helped once we started TTC. I know many people who have good luck using pre-seed. I never used it, but probably would have early on if we had trouble. I got pregnant the 2nd time when baby#1 was 6 months old. Anyways, good luck! I remember those days of anticipation so clearly! I can hardly believe that at one time I actually had time to chart my BBTs!!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was told by my ob/gyn to wait 3 periods to try getting pregnant after getting off of birth control pills, which seemed like an eternity, but that's what we did. I was thank G-d, very, very, very fortunate and with my first child it was the second try, same for my second daughter and the first try for my third.

Probably, okay definitely none of my business here, but are you absolutely sure you want to announce to your family and friends that you are trying to have a baby? Some families, certainly not all, can then be quite intrusive and bother you to pieces for info. Which can then perhaps lead to more anxiety on or your part.

I am so very happy for you. I wish you the best of luck. What a great Mommy you're going to be!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Almost no time the first time. 9 months the second and number three was a very pleasant surprise.
We'd kind of decided that maybe it wasn't that easy for us with the second one so I didn't go back on the pill. We decided to let nature take it's course. Three years later ... a baby boy!
He's 20 now and a delight! I can't imagine life without my bear-hugging 'trailer'.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #7  
mom2cole

I was on the pill for about five years before I got pregnant with my first. I went off the pill in January and I got pregnant right away. Had my son Oct 2nd. With my second I went off the pill and got pregnant one month later. So with me it was very quickly. I wouldn't announce anything to your family until you are pregnant. It can be stressful to have everyone asking question and giving advice on how to get pregnant. Trust me, do you really want you MIL telling you how she got pregnant with her son, your husband??? Not me.
Good luck and have fun. My husband said trying for a baby was the best but it didn't take long enough for us!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

My first 2 wre not planed but my 3rd it was the month after I wnt off bc and my daughter it was 2 months after I stopped nursing but the first month we were trying. There are alot of websites out there that will help you determine your fertile time according to your cycle.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #9  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Both of my pregnancies happened the next month after deciding I wanted to get pregnant.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Thank you all for your advice!! We're still very excited and I will be making calls tomorrow to set doc's appts asap! With the family thing, we're only telling my parents and two sisters until we find out we're pregnant. His family is very intrusive and lack self control, so it's best they don't know anything right now. My family, on the other hand, are very supportive and private when things need to be private. We need them to know for the prayers they'll be saying for us throughout trying to conceive and pregnancy. I found a website to track ovulation and will be checking into it further when we get back from Thanksgiving holiday! Thank you all and I'll be sure to post if/when it happens!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Good luck
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/265/175

Height: 5'8

Good luck Kim...how exciting!!
My first pregnancy took 6 months after going off bc. Seemed like FOREVER! But after that pregnancy it was one right after another. My first ended in a miscarriage at 13 weeks, 4 WEEKS later I was pregnant with my son and when he was 4 months old SURPRISE pregnant with my daughter. Everyone is different, just remember to be patient, things will happen in God's PERFECT timing! Have fun trying!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #13  
No description available.

Great advice. I would add to take a prenatal vitamin starting now. Folic acid is a good thing.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #14  
resident lactivist

Go out and buy Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler. It is an excellent textbook to learn all about reproduction. Temping is good, but it's only going to tell you after you've ovulated. TCOYF will help you fill in the rest of the picture.

And...well, you can go to a doctor right now. But there's not an actual need. Pregnancy isn't an illness or an emergency waiting to happen, and neither is TTC. Like many of the women on this site, I have PCOS, and knowing it I got wrapped up in TTC. And it was just more stress than I really needed. I see a lot of women who do something similar and wind up just stressing themselves too much, like I did. I've talked to women who think there's something wrong with them if they don't get pregnant immediately, and it's more normal for it to take about six months or so (as far as fertility testing, unless you're over 36, most doctors will tell you to come back after you've been trying unsuccessfully for a year).

Still need to answer the question.

It took me about 16 or 18 months (don't remember exactly) to get pregnant with my first. It took two months of actual trying to get pregnant with number two, and number three was a stealth baby.

After my experience with #1, I don't let hormonal birth control anywhere near me.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Good luck!! It took my just about a year to get pg with both my kids.
Closed Thread