General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thumbs up Chick Lits Book Club, A Million Little Pieces through Page 215

Good morning fellow book worms. Just wanna start off by saying the next section ends on page 358 so I think that's where we should stop for next Monday, November 27. Wow the time is going so fast.

All right, some thoughts. I am beginning to think the book is moving a bit too slow. Although I guess, I mean for sure we're seeing some progress on James' part. And finally a little progression as far as Lily is concerned.

Still haven't seen any real tell tale signs of a horrible childhood. I guess I'm looking for this big traumatic thing to have happened but maybe there wasn't this big traumatic thing. He mentions on page 126 about his father taking him to see the Cleveland Browns football games, I thought that was so cute, first him and his 2 brothers, and then when they're too big he rotates the boys. And his mother then going when the father is unavailable. The father came up with such a good way to be fair.

I also really liked when his brother and 2 friends came to visit him, it was nice, and his brother gave him all those nice and thoughtful gifts. And I believe he really, truly appreciated it. James is definitely human.

It really bothered my, when he speaks to his parents on page 136 that they tell him they want to come and do this family program thing with him and James says no way, I mean come on they should have insisted. They absolutely should have been there, no ifs ands or buts about it. What is wrong with these people? Your SON is in a treatment center for severe addiction, HELP THE POOR BOY!!!! SHOW YOUR FACE!!!

I found it absolutely heartbreaking as the Bald Man was telling his story about what happened to him with Halloween and the wagon and his daughters, and how everybody was laughing at him. It was absolutely cruel. I don't know how anybody could get better in this place, all the violence and laughing and Roy freaking out and people walking in on your shower and sexual ninjas. I don't know just yucky stuff in general. Is It just me or does this place seem to laid back, as if there's not enought structure? They're too on their own. I'm just not seeing enough interaction between the staff and James.

I also find it a little bit distrubing about how they stress only their way and that no other way will suffice or be successful. I also found it amazing, I think it was Joanne who says they have the best recovery rate in the world which is 17%, real junky odds.

I think we're going to see something come of the book that his brother got him, "Tao Te Ching", like it is a concept he can grasp and follow.

That's it for now, can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #2  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I gotta confess---I read the whole book!!!! Oh the shame! I'm not one to just put a book down, but anyways I'll have to return the book to the library soon, so I read it to the end. I'll jump back into the conversation then. I wouldn't want to give something away by accident.

But think about this-at what point do you think James makes his "turn around"? I have a few ideas but wonder what you think.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

Oh Michelle, I can't believe you!!!! I'm soooo jealous. All righty then you can still participate in our talks till page 215, come on you can do it.

Anyway I think his turn around is basically when he gets that visit from his 2 friends and his brother and the gifts that his brother brings and that Chinese book.

Michelle I gotta know, is it ever revealed how his addiction came about, you know like the cause of it? No don't tell me, that wouldn't be fair to everybody else reading this, shucks.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #4  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

LOL NOOOOO I'm not telling...too cute you are!

I thought his turning point was the visit/gifts too but I also think it was his befriending Leonard and hearing his "story", the support from someone "like him" without the preachiness.

BRB
Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Yes, I think Leonard definitely had something to do with his turnaround.

And by the way it looks like it's just the two of us left here, so just in case you feel like letting me know about the cause of James's addiction...........................just kidding.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

Hi, if there's anyone out there still interested, we are reading through page 358 for this Monday, November 27. Anyone? Helloooooo?

Have a great weekend.
Closed Thread