3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Anyone shop at trader joes? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/95238-anyone-shop-trader-joes.html)

SarahMahfoud 10-03-2006 04:59 PM

Anyone shop at trader joes?

What kind of foods have you found there that help you.

Tara D 10-03-2006 05:11 PM

I just started going there recently. I found this product called Curry Simmer Sauce. It's in the section with marinades/dressings. It's great! I just take 1/3 cup and mix it with almost as much water. I've put the sauce on the stove and added 6oz of chicken breast and a cup of frozen veggies and simmered until cooked. Then I put this over rice. Yum, yum, yum! Healthy Indian food at home! 1/3 cup of the sauce is just 70 calories, so you can easily make this meal around 400 calories (give or take a bit depending on the amount of chicken and rice).

They have a bunch of different simmer sauces. Basically, it's a dinner that tastes like it took a couple hours to cook, but it's done in about 15 minutes! The curry sauce I buy has tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, canola oil, salt, coriander, cumin, tumeric...and a number of other delicious seasonings. Saves a lot of chopping, grinding, and mixing! Great time saver!

chick_in_the_hat 10-03-2006 05:16 PM

My top 4 (ish) favorites:
Salmon burgers in the freezer section
Chocolate mini merengue cookies
Bagged salad is hecka cheap! I especially like mixed baby greens and the herb salad.
Lots of choices of whole grain breads...not white bread dyed brown.. :lol:

sarahyu 10-03-2006 05:18 PM

I tend to 1-2 x a month so I don't buy too much. I tend to go overboard when I shop there.

I love their selection of low fat cheeeses. The price is good and taste really good also. Plus they have a shredded soy cheese that melts and taste like cheese on food, straight out of the bag it still taste like soy.

The natural peanut butter is a great price and tasty.

I could go on but shouldn't

sarah

babymomma 10-03-2006 05:25 PM

love trader joe's...their frozen section is great, I find tons there that I can't find elsewhere like quality frozen fish, all types of international foods, etc

LindaT 10-03-2006 05:26 PM

I go every week. :D It's right on my way home from work so it works out well. I find the produce is cheaper AND of better quality that traditional grocery stores.

I have been getting watermelon, fresh figs, light string cheese, every veggie known to mankind , tilapia, wild salmon, La tortillas, egg whites, blueberries all summer long, unsweented soy milk, red pepper/eggplant spread.. yum, canola and olive oil cooking sprays, dried spices, chicken and vegetable stocks, fat free feta cheese and scads of other items. I've had very little bad luck there and according to the sign on the wall at my location, if you don't like something.. they'll refund your money!!

RockerGirl 10-03-2006 05:40 PM

I go once a week during my lunch hour. I love the cheese selection, the cereal selection, the nuts section, the frozen fish, the veggie burger with garlic is good as are the breakfast patties (they taste like sausage but the don't have any meat), the selection of frozen veggies is great also. The also have a lot of different flavors of hummus

Rosario 10-03-2006 05:49 PM

I want a Trader Joe's in GA!!!:cry:

it's not fair

Anonymouse 10-03-2006 06:11 PM

I love shopping there, as well. I wish the ones here on the East Coast were as big as the ones I've seen in San Franscisco. I have friends that live out there, and they are SO LUCKY!!! They've got all kinds of stuff we don't have here, like way more (and better) unrefrigerated fresh produce.
But...
The cheese is fantastic... I wish they had more low-fat varieties, but the ones they do have are good.
Ground beef patties (90% or better)
Pita bread
Tortillas (they had, for a very short time, awesome low-carb ones!)
Cereal (the oatmeal!)
Protein shakes and stuff to make them (again, I miss the coffee flavored low-carb ones they had which were like a Starbucks Frap in a bottle)
Snacks
Frozen: I love the shrimp! I eat shrimp a lot for lunch, and this makes it so easy, because Ijust throw the frozen shrimp in a bag and its thawed by lunch.
:mouse:

alinnell 10-03-2006 06:25 PM

The prices at Trader Joe's are so much better than any regular grocery store! I love all the fresh veggies (packaged salad greens, ready to steam veggies, etc.) They have pomegranate arils that are wonderful. I love the fresh brushetta sauce (great for a "lite" pizza sauce) on their "almost 100%" whole wheat pizza dough. Turkey "mignon". Fresh and frozen fish. Great variety of cheeses. Healthy cereals. Oh, and these great flavored nuts like cinnamon pecans. As you can tell, the list could go on and on!

NotTheCheat 10-03-2006 09:01 PM

I love Trader Joe's. I always feel like I got my money's worth, while at regular grocery stores I always feel like I paid too much.

Here are things I always buy there:

Luna bars (cheapest I have found unless I buy them boxed)
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup (my favorite!)
Frozen brown rice
All sorts of frozen veggies
Almond Breeze
Steel cut oatmeal
Freeze dried strawberries and pineapple

Last time we got dried dragon fruit - I had never had it before and it was so good!

There are many more things - like others I could go on and on.

Mel 10-03-2006 09:11 PM

ok, you probably don't want to hear this, but they also have the best selection of dark chocolate I've ever seen!

Mel

chick_in_the_hat 10-03-2006 11:32 PM

*fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalalalalala

love1384 10-03-2006 11:35 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!! there rosemary chicken is to die for

nelie 10-04-2006 10:29 AM

I love trader joe's

Some items I get from them:

Dark chocolate (cheap and good! used in moderation of course)
Unsweetened Soy Milk
Nonfat plain yogurt
Whole Wheat pasta
Whole grain cereals
frozen veggies
frozen fruit
whole wheat pizza dough
white meat ground turkey
herbal tea
peanut butter
fresh veggies
frozen wild salmon