General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Default A question for the long hairs

How often do you get your hair trimmed?

I'm trying to grow mine long, and haven't had even a trim since May. Right now, it's almost to my bra strap.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #2  
Opulent

I trim it maybe once a year.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #3  

I have hair upto my mid back. I get split ends and my hair grows really slow. but I want to grow it longer... They say I should trim it every 6-8 weeks but I dont like the idea coz it grows back to the previous length and gets split ends. I havent cut my hair for about 6 months now.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I go in every three months.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

My hair is 3/4 the way down my back and chemically treated (colored). I trim about every 3-6 months, or whenever I start to notice split ends.

I'd advise getting it trimmed somewhat regularly. The first few times it seems like they're cutting what you've grown (or more). As the hair gets healthier, it splits less and requires less to be cut off, then you will start to notice it growing.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #6  
Bikini Season :)

i dye it every 8 weeks and get a cut whenever it gets dyed.

im a salon freak though - manicures and pedicures every week, full body massage every 2 weeks, facials once a month, waxing as needed...

so i probably go more often than it totally nessessary.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #7  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

About every 8-12 weeks. I always mean it to be 6-8 weeks but never seem to manage it. I just think there's nothing less attractive than long hair that's all uneven and split and flyaway at the ends. You know, the kind of long hair that looks like you can't be bothered with it rather than the long hair that actually looks like a style?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 AM   #8  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Oooh, I just re-read what I wrote and thought it might sound a bit snotty. I wasn't meaning anyone here. I'm just talking from experience with my own hair, which is just about to my bra strap now.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #9  
resident lactivist

I don't. My experience with professionals is that they always cut off far more than I want them to. But I tend not to do anything damaging to my hair, either, nor do I overwash it.

My hair is down to my waist, if not a bit more. Pregnancy's good for my hair; it grew from the bottom of my bra straps down to just above my waist during my last pregnancy.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #10  

I get mine trimmed, maybe 1/2 inch at most off - about twice a year.

I've been letting it grow for almost 4 years now, it's halfway between my bra-strap line & the top of my butt now.

I like it long, I don't look good with short hair.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

I am trying to grow mine as well. I left it for 6 months and believe that it was too long. The longer you wait the worse your split ends get. My sister was trying to grow hers and she didnt cut it for a year, by the time she got the salon she had to get 5 inches cut off to make it look healthy... so much for growing her hair.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for your responses! I don't have many split ends, so I can wait awhile, I think.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #13  
hara hachi bu

It probably also depends on what type of hair you have. I have fine hair, so it breaks more frequently and easily (hence the need for more trims). My friend who is Native American never ever has her hair trimmed and she also never has split ends, but her hair is thick and coarse.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
Thanks for your responses! I don't have many split ends, so I can wait awhile, I think.
Just because you cant see the split ends doesnt mean they are not there - I wouldnt leave it too long before getting a litlte trim and when you go, just ask them to cut the very ends, you wont even notice a difference except your hair will look healthier.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #15  

My hair is down to my waist - at least you can tell it is long in my avatar.
I have not had my hair trimmed in 3 years.
The last time I did have my trimmed was a week before my wedding in Sept. 2003 (5 months after the pic in my avatar was taken). Before then I had not had my hair trimmed in 3 years.
I grew my hair out in high school (95-99); I started with a chin length bob and ended at my waist. It took the whole 4 years to get that long, and I did have my hair trimmed a few times a year at that point.
Closed Thread