General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

Default Ectopic Pregnancy - has anyone else been through this?

HI Everyone,
Well I am back after a 6 week forced sabbatical.
July 6 - I was rushed to the emergency room with a pain I had never felt before in my abdomen (and pray that I never feel again) apparently I was seven and half weeks pregnant (I had no idea) and it had attached to my fallopian tube and ruptured it. I ended up hemorrhaging and have surgery and a blood transfusion they removed the pregnancy and my tube- 5 days later I was released from the hospital. I am glad to say that today my mental state is much better but my body- not so much. I am now back at work and this has brought me and my DH much much closer together (he was amazing during my recovery and still is) it had out me and my Goal further apart.
My question is has anyone ever gone through this and what did they find helped during those first few months back exercising?? As a side note i have been trying to "walk" in the pool.
Thanks everyone!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #2  

I havent been through this..But I have seen some cases of EP. EP can be a life threatning emergency and I am glad you had yoursurgery done soon and that you are doing great now!

It does take some time to recover fully and aquatic walking is just great for this reason. You can also do some cycling exercise of your legs in air while lying down and straight leg raises. That will help your lower back, spine and in developing your abdominal strength back. dont do anything which causes pain. stop when you get uncomfortable. Drink loads of water and do not go on any diet for a while.

Yoga is great in any post suegery condition for physical and mental recovery. (under an instructor ofcourse)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

**WARNING: a little graphic

My former husband and I tried to conceive for many years. We did the whole infertility thing, including using Perganol injections. When I FINALLY got pregnant, we were thrilled. But within three weeks, our hopes were dashed. An ultrasound did not show a baby developing in my uterus, although my HCG was increasing every day. The doctor said it looks like an ectopic pregnancy, and he will have to operate that day to remove the baby, or else I could die from a ruptured fallopian tube.

A few hours later I had a laproscopy. When I awakened, the doctor let me know that they could not find evidence of a pregnancy in my fallopian tubes. He believed the baby was forming in a well hidden place--the muscle that connects the uterus and the fallopian tube.

Since the pregnancy was not surgically removed, I was given two injections of metheltrexate, which is a chemical used in treating cancer. This drug caused the fetus to absorb back into my body. A few days later, I had the worst pain ever, with lots of blood. I was on the toilet, and felt something pass through me. It was the sac that once contained the baby.

It was all so surreal. I mourned and grieved for years, and to this day have not been able to get pregnant again. Part of me wishes I could, but at 41 and obese, I'm not sure that is a good idea.

Gosh, sorry I babbled on.....Crownshape, I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you are okay.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #4  
Fat-be-gone

Jen....I'm so sorry. I went through this exact same thing earlier this year. I didn't even know I was pregnant. I just had the worst cramping of my life and I was spotting (at first, I thought it was my period...but I have never had cramps like that so I went to see my Gyno). We thought I had miscarried, but like you, my HCG levels were still going up and the ultrasound showed nothing in my uterus. So I was also given the metheltrexate. And a couple of days later, also had that excruciating pain. And bleeding.

The thing that I am scared of is that I have read that once you've had an ectopic pregnancy, you may not be able to get pregnant again. I pray to god that that isn't the case for everybody.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have not been through this but it makes me cry reading what happend to you girls. So sorry and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Jen I just wanted to say that my mom had my sister at 36 almot 37 and is obsee as well and everything turned out just fine.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

Well, I've never had an EP, but I did have a miscarriage before I even knew I was pregnant. This was before I had any kids...and my period was really early the time before I skipped a whole month so I never thought anything of it, skipping my period. I figured I was just going through a time where my period was off kilter.

Anyhow...I finally got my period a month late and had excruciating pain with it. To give you a little on me...all through my teenage years, every month I'd be sent home with cramps, I'd vomit, get shakes, cold sweats, blue lips and the cramps were off the chart painful. It was hellish. So, when I tell you these cramps were worse than usual...I'm here to tell you, they were labor pains. I was about to have my mom take me to the hospital when I went to the bathroom and passed a sac like Jen described and then I was jsut exhausted. I called the ob/gyn and he said it sounded like a miscarriage. I agreed...it was not a normal period by any means.

My point is that I can relate to losing a pregnancy before knowing you're PG. It made me think...WOW...I could have had a BABY? I was in no situation to have one at the time. So, in hindsight, it was a good thing, but it made me sad and feel a loss at the same time. It still makes me think about what little person might have been in my life right now if I'd have not miscarried. I wound up having my daughter about a year later, so I probably woudn't have had her in my life, but someone else! Weird to think about.

Jen... I'm so sorry you went through that.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #7  
Addicted to potato salad!

Jen: I also wanted to tell you a story about a woman I know. It's actually kind of funny. I used to be a hairdresser and this woman was one of the older ladies that gets her hair set on rollers every week. I don't know how old she was at the time, but she was old enough to be a wash-n-set customer. Anyhow...she's telling her hairdresser about her daughter's graduation party. I'm thinking, she must have gone to college later on in life or just finishing up medical or law school. BUT, she was graduation from HIGH SCHOOL!. I just had to sit down and ask her her story. Apparently, this lady was putting her youngest child through college, she and her husband were planning their retirement, getting the last one out of the nest. She skipped a period or two and went to the doctor, thinking he'd be giving her hormones for menopause because she was feeling really tired. He says, "Well, you don't need hormones, you need prenatal vitamins!" She nearly fainted and said, "I'm...I'm...WHAT?!? I'm having a WHAT?!?!?!" So, she had to pack up the retirement plans and buy a crib. I don't remember how old she said she was when she had her daughter, but she was REALLY old to be having a baby. She was healthy and no problems...except that MOM had a bit of an attitude, having to wait another 18+ years to retire now. I thought it made for a great story...and an inspiration to YOU that you NEVER KNOW what God has up his sleeve for you. And you better be ready for the unexpected because sometimes God backhands you his little suprises. So, never say never and don't give up hope. That cute brit SO of yours and you...hey...ya never know!!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Techwife, you crack me up!

My best friend in high school was about six weeks younger than me. Her mom was 45 when she had her, and didn't even know she was pregnant until about six weeks before my friend was born when she went to the doctor for some weight loss advice. "Oh you'll lose some weight in about six weeks, when your baby is born!!" Can you IMAGINE?

I seriously doubt I can even get pregnant--I mean, it's not like we don't "practice" alot! I would have thought I would have been pregnant by now if I could. Man, it would REALLY change our lives! I'm 41 and he is almost 50!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

My uncle just had his second kid at 50-51!!! His other daughter just turn 20! There is like 18-19 years between the two. Different moms tho, I figured she is in her 40's somewhere. She got pregnant again, earlier this year, so the baby would of been born when he was like 53, but she miscarried.

I would love to have a baby, but I still got a long time before that happens. Plus a puppy is hard work... a baby would be even harder!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

I have had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 20. I know exactly how it felt to be in such pain as you discribe. I don't know how far along I was but the fetus was about the size of a small grapefruit they say and was in my left tube. They did a laproscopy before the operation to see how bad it was.After they said if I had waited another 8 hours to go in I probably wouldn't have made it.They managed to save the tube but I was told it was useless.

As for exercise, I started with walking, then went on to dancing, which is great exercise and not to demanding, and slowly managed to get some crunches and what not in about 2 months after the whole deal, by then my incision was completely healed and unpainful.

I'm happy to say that it didn't affect my ability to have children, I now have a wonderful little boy who will be 3 in October!!

All the best to you, and if you'd like to chat more, just PM me and I'll be here for you!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #11  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario View Post
The thing that I am scared of is that I have read that once you've had an ectopic pregnancy, you may not be able to get pregnant again. I pray to god that that isn't the case for everybody.
It definitely is not the case. My mom had a friend who had an ectopic pregnancy about 3 years ago. She got pregnant again within 6 months and now has a happy, healthy baby girl.

To crownshape: I'm sorry you had to go through this and I hope you make a quick and relatively painless recovery!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

Default thank you

ladies, thank you so much for sharing your stories and thoughts. where that i hate that this happened to anyone it is good to know you are not alone. i think thats been the hardest thinking you are alone.. so thank you all for being supportive. it's been a rough week but reading your posts have really helped..
ps i was able to walk a mile yesterday without it being too bad so i am on my way back
Closed Thread