3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Wedding cake ideas (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/87139-wedding-cake-ideas.html)

liz321 06-18-2006 11:55 AM

Wedding cake ideas

I have to organize the wedding cake for a family wedding in July.....any ideas? Anything nice you saw at a wedding lately? Any ideas I can access on line.

Thanks

L

Ruthxxx 06-18-2006 12:08 PM

Do you want the traditional fruit cake with the hard icing or something more contemporary?

squeaker 06-18-2006 12:14 PM

The last wedding I went to had Strawberry Shortcake for the wedding cake. It was a nice change.

liz321 06-18-2006 12:17 PM

I'm open to contemp or trad......yum sscake!

L

Ellen 06-20-2006 09:41 AM

You can do a search online and find millions of ideas. I used to do a lot of wedding cakes, and my webshots account still gets about 50 hits a month for the wedding cake album. You can do whatever you want these days....I have done chocolate cakes with chocolate icing, cheesecakes, traditional cakes, cakes with rolled fondant icing... Start out with knowing how many servings you need, as that will dictate the size of the cake and how many tiers you will need. Then decide what KIND of cake you want...something normal, or decadent...that will be important for the decorating.... have fun!

telemetrynurse 06-20-2006 01:00 PM

One of the most gorgeous and unusual cakes I've ever seen was decorated with real edible flowers. The background icing had a "lace" appearance

MTHead 06-21-2006 11:37 AM

My husband and I had a sachertorte decorated with chocolate roses. It was divine!

Goodbye Chubby 06-21-2006 03:40 PM

I went to a wedding a couple weeks ago where the theme color was light green, and the cake was decorated with plastic pears that also adorned the table tops; the theme worked very nicely. Here's a picture of the cake as the servers are remvoing the plastic fruit to get ready to serve.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...o/47ebe8f2.jpg

liz321 06-22-2006 12:06 AM

Oh wow! Thanks guys!

L

2frustrated 06-22-2006 05:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some I've found! ;)

We're having a plain iced cake - stacked, so no little pillars, with the middle layer at a 45 degree angle to the rest - then red roses (like in my bouquet) to decorate the tiers.

liz321 06-22-2006 08:34 AM

Oh those are pretty!

What is an approximate price on something like that?

L

2frustrated 06-23-2006 04:08 AM

Over here, it will probably be about £200-500, depending on where you go.

I have no idea about wedding cake costs in the US, sorry! Do you know someone who bakes or know someone who knows someone...?

kaplods 06-23-2006 04:53 AM

Ok, this sounds terrible, but my husband and I got our cake from Walmart. The had many beautiful choices, and although our Walmart wouldn't do fillings (because the cake had to be easy to assemble, since you have to assemble them yourself - and fillings make the layers slide too easily).

We passed on the wedding topper, and chose our own (We found a blown glass heart in a little cake decorating supply shop). We decorated the table under the cake with tulle and flowers matching the bridesmaid dresses.

The funniest part was that everyone RAVED about the cake. How it looked, and how it tasted. It was just white cake, but it was really good. It was so incredibly moist.

kaplods 06-23-2006 04:55 AM

Oh, by the way, you have to order the cake of course, they don't just have them sitting around. If the store has a bakery it will have books of the designs they do.

2frustrated 06-23-2006 05:45 AM

That sounds :cool: If we hadn't have found a friend to do the cake, we would either be making it ourselves or buying the tiers from a shop!