General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default I want a puppy - what should I get?

I want a small dog. I like bigger dogs more but a small dog will fit my lifestyle a little more cuz I want it to be able to sit on my lap and all that.

I have been looking around. I like the yorkshire terrier. My gramma has a boston terrier witch I love, but they hair is shorter and more rough and I don't find them that cuddly - but they are super cute! Anyway, just want to know what type of small dogs you guys like. I would like one that doesn't bark too much but I think all small dogs do that.

I have had dogs in the past, but never had my own (just family) and they have always been large dogs. Springer Spanial, Yellow Lab, Boxer/Lab - I had a little cocker spanial once but she was spastic and we had to give her away.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #2  

Talking

I have a rat terrier. I am not a dog person at all and this little thing has wormed her way into my heart. They are so sweet, and don't bark too much - not yippie at all and don't need groomed all the time. They have a lot of cat qualities....I know hard to explain! Check them out at this webpage: http://www.rat-terrier.com/rt/default.aspx
Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #3  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Take this quiz and see what breed is right for you and let us know!!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

I did that just before I posted here and found TONS I just did it again and narrowed it done some more and still found lots.

One that stood out to me is the Bugg - I finally found a pic! I have heard of them before, they are the boston bull and pug mixed, I would like one of those! haha
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #5  
it's always something

How about a pound puppy! Many are mixed small breeds and would love to make their home in your lap It's hard to tell how much a dog will bark. I have a chihuahua that hasn't made a sound (literally) in more than 5 years. Sister Jennifer has two chihuahuas and they are barkers. The one she adopted from a breeder barks a LOT. But the one that she adopted from the chihuahua rescue league is much quieter. That's another thought - animal rescue leagues. If you are looking for a specific breed, there are probably rescue leagues in your area that can help. Also, an older dog that has been spayed or neutered may tend to be quieter, is already housebroken, and full of love and affection for their new mommy

When you choose your new dog, please share pictures
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9

Pound puppy, definately!! Mixed breeds are the best kind!!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have a Pomeranian/Japanese Spitz mix and he's WONDERFUL!! Never barks... just hangs out... is great with my 2 year old . If we get another dog I'm going to try and find one the same.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Oh yes, I am all for the mixed dogs! I keep checking the local SPCA online daily. And checking other ones in the area, unfortunaly no small dogs. I live in a small(er) town and the SPCA doesn't have many. But I am going to have to start looking really hard. We are moving in two weeks and then I can have one. I know older dogs need homes too, but I REALLY want a puppy. I am ready to train in and the new house has NO CARPET at it, so accidents will be easy to clean up
Old 06-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

I just found the puppy of my dreams, at a pound in texas... how the heck do I get him to Canada
Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 224/144/140

My mom has a maltese and poodle, and I ended up with a "malti-poo". If you want to know what she looks like, basically google a picture of Jessica Simpson's dog.

I am not a small dog person either, and it took me a long time to be able to admit I even own this dog! But, she was free and my son had been desperately wanting a dog, so she is now a member of the family.

And....I absolutely ADORE her!! I think because of the poodle in her she is very, very smart, but her hair is soft and straight like a malteese. She is so cuddly and she loves me unconditionally, no questions asked. At night she lays with my son in his bed until he falls asleep, and then quietly jumps down and comes into my room with this look that says "It's okay mom, I put the boy to sleep." I love it. Then she sleeps in my bed for the night. She has never bitten or growled at my kids, ever, no matter how rough my toddler has gotten with her. And even though she isn't very tough, she thinks she is and she will work hard at defending her family when needed, even though it is basically worthless.

Okay, I am done with my rant. I guess my point was that I used to actually hate small dogs and call them ankle biters, but they are actually wonderful pets.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #11  
Determined

I would definitely recommend either the pound or a rescue if you find a specific breed you want. Some breed specific rescues will ship. There is a large Cairn Terrier organizatiojn that does. I love pugs. If you can financially be ready for any possible health issues due to their shortened snout (like a bostons) they are awesome dogs. There are tons of great pug rescues. Good luck!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Ive been sitting here all afternoon looking at dogs. I seached like ALL of canada and I see keep going back to this guy http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6447814 I don't know what to do. He is in Texas but I am at the point now that I will do whatever it takes to get little guy, he has stolen my heart They say they ship to Vancouver (Close to me) - does anyone know how much it is to ship a dog?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #13  
Mel

He's really cute Courtnie!

I'm a big dog person, but several of my neighbors have shitzu-poodle mixes and cocker spaniel-poodle mixes (busy guy, that poodle!) They are all wonderful, smart, QUIET dogs who don't shed. Excellent qualities in a pet.

Mel
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #14  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
Ive been sitting here all afternoon looking at dogs. I seached like ALL of canada and I see keep going back to this guy http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6447814 I don't know what to do. He is in Texas but I am at the point now that I will do whatever it takes to get little guy, he has stolen my heart They say they ship to Vancouver (Close to me) - does anyone know how much it is to ship a dog?

OMG he is soooo cute..I would want him too!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #15  

I have a three pound yorkshire terrior that is 10 years old....he is no work and I love him dearly........he does bark but that is less and less the older he gets. I keep him cut up short and so grooming is not an issue. There is no sign of dog hair, no smell, and he eats and poops very little.

L
Closed Thread