General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #1  

Default Anyone interested in a clothing swap type marketplace?

Hey All,

I have a HUGE pile of Goodwill clothes and some of them are in really good shape. I am also realizing that none of my pants fit (too lose) so I thought of an idea (I am new here so let me know if this has already been done). I was thinking we could have a forum where we can sell or swap clothes that no longer fit. I know that during weight loss, you may be a size 18 for a month or 2, meanwhile you have to wear something! Anyway, if anyone is interested, I have size 18 clothing that is still nice, one pair of jeans I wore just twice. Let me know if anyone is interested. Also, if anyone is trying to get rid of size 16 dress pants, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #2  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

I would LOVE to do a swap but unfortunately my clothes are too worn out -- I'd be embarrassed to give them to anyone! I haven't had the money to buy new clothes in over a year (except for an interview outfit). It always seems like something comes up that takes the money I would budget to clothes (this time around it was a busted transmission that I'm still paying off). I know I NEED to get some clothes soon, as I'm down from a 22/24 to about an 18, and I'm still wearing the 22's (it's starting to get obvious that my stuff just doesn't fit anymore, it's all billowy and it's not supposed to be).

Anyway, great idea, and I hope others chime in with some items to swap for you!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Don't know where you live, but you might give craigslist.org a try...maybe you can find someone in your local area to swap with.

If you have really nice clothes - job-interview type of apparel especially, and don't want to go the Goodwill route, a VERY worthy organization is www.dressforsuccess.org - they can always use the help and they ESPECIALLY need large-size (size 12 and up) clothes.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Dress for Success is a great option, but in the event you need cash...I sold my smaller clothes before trying to lose weight on eBay for $80!! The buyer pays for the shipping and I sold my clothes to a woman in Austrailia! She paid over $80, additionally, in shipping to get them there, but that's her choice. I did it specifically so I'd kick start Murphy's Law into action and I'd lose weight and need them again. It sort of worked as I went from an 18 to a 14. Not the size 10 that was the size of the clothes I sold, but I'm working on it.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

PS...Mrs. Jim: You look FABULOUS in that bathing suit!! I'm so proud of you.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

There is also http://www.freecycle.org/ where you might find someone locally that is interested in your old clothes...or old anything.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I wanted to try this a couple times too, I DO NOT like the freecycle group in my area, etc. etc. I tried to have a yahoo group one time called 'clothing swap' or something like that but none of the members ever wanted to swap. If you start something similar I would be VERY interested!

Lacey
Old 03-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #8  

I would be in if you were in my area.
Great idea though...its hard to figure out what to do with clothes that don't fit. I have a hard time parting with them...but I know its the best thing.
-Christine
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #9  

I've got rid of all of mine to my local charity shop (um 4 huge bags of them!!!) which is only fair, as I have replenished my supplies of slimmer clothes there as well!!!

I've kept my biggest jeans, and I have shown them to everyone!!! No one can believe I used to wear them!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

I sure would be interested too except I am so hard to fit. I used to sell everything on eBay but the fees have increased so much and there are now so many stores and sniper bidders that I have found the small amount I get out of stuff is just not worth it... even stuff that is new with tags just doesn't bring enough $$$ to make it worth it. BUT one thing.. if you sell in batches people DO bid better and pay higher. I also had great success selling to someone in another country where you can't BUY large size clothes she said... so she was willing to pay a good price and hefty shipping.

Actually I have a BRAND NEW black sleeveless top thing... Maggie Barnes... that I am looking for a "home" for. It had a glittery net V top over it barely attached at the shoulders, which I took off to use on the cruise; but the attached top did not fit. I do have a nice thrift store that I give things to and they use the money for Christian charity -- but still I would like someone to have it who needs it.

I just bought 4 pair of pants a month or so ago... I was desperate for some... and they are already getting too big... so even though my older stuff is getting pretty worn, transitional clothes might be very helpful for someone.

I might be interested in some of your 18s if you are tall... BUT we need to make sure there is no rule against this type of thing on 3FC... selling stuff, etc.!!! Don't want to break any rules here!!!! Perhaps you could check with the management????

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-12-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #11  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I have a boat load of very nice size 18, 16 & 14 clothes to get rid of. I agree, the ebay fees are killers, and taking the pictures takes forever too. If anyone ever gets a forum or a group started to do this, please let me know as hopefully soon I'll be out of the 12's too

Lacey
Old 03-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #12  

Hi Lacey... well I am planning on going INTO a lot of the other ones you are going out of LOL. It sure would be neat if someone started a group to do this!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I've got rid of all of mine to my local charity shop (um 4 huge bags of them!!!) which is only fair, as I have replenished my supplies of slimmer clothes there as well!!!

I've kept my biggest jeans, and I have shown them to everyone!!! No one can believe I used to wear them!
I gave all mine to Goodwill each time I dropped a couple sizes. I still have a bit to lose post-preg, but refused to buy new pants. I decided to get ONE pair of jeans finally. Though I can fit into a couple of my larger pants from before now. But I just got tired of the maternity wear.

I didn't think about keeping anything from when I was losing, until my last run of clothes I was tossing and I found one of my old size 24 sweaters. Hubby mentioned I should keep it. So I don't have any of the pants, but have that one sweater, that's like a sack on me.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I sold all my size 20's in a lot for like $60 on ebay. Some of the things were new because they went from too small to too big, others were WELL worn. That's why I just put everything together. The $60 was nice because it bought me 3 pairs of jeans that I'm wearing right now.

I'd be interested in size 12 and/or 14's soon. I'm in a 16 right now which I'll hopefully be out of in the next month or so. So I will then have 4 pair of Old Navy jeans and possibly some t-shirts, depending on how they are fitting/looking.

I posted a similar thread in the video section and was told they'd tried in the past but there were bad dealing so it has to be done privately now. I'm not sure if pm's count? Or just emails? I would be interested though.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #15  

Video section? There is a video section???

I am not surprised it needs to be done privately. As an experienced eBay seller myself, I can understand why they don't want that going on here at 3FC because of potential problems.
Closed Thread