3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   If you were on American Idol..... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/77343-if-you-were-american-idol.html)

mistertripps 02-26-2006 03:46 PM

If you were on American Idol.....

I am amazed every year at the song selection during the first round of the final 24 - we hear the judges criticize the songs and tell the contestants they have to bring it. Why do we keep getting "lullabies" from the majority of the constestants?

If you were a contestant on American Idol, what song would you sing and why?

jules1216 02-26-2006 03:49 PM

...if I were on American Idol, Fox could be sued for cruel and unusual punishment by the viewers!

bluedevil 02-26-2006 03:50 PM

My friends and I have had lengthy discussions about what we would use for our AI audition song. My go to song is "Sweet Child of Mine." This is, of course, dependent upon me actually being able to sing (which I can't).

Less of Lena 02-26-2006 04:48 PM

I think if I were auditioning for AI, going a cappella, I think I might choose Material Girl by Madonna. Upbeat, and can be sung fairly well even without the music. It has sharps and flats, so I could show how well I can control my voice. Either that or Mercedes Benz, by Janis Joplin. Funny little tune, meant to be sung a cappella.

Once I made it to the 24 or 12 and could have some back-up and a band, I think I might choose Janis again, Piece of My Heart. Or maybe Somebody to Love, by Jefferson Airplane. Or All Things (Just Keep Getting Better) -- original theme from the Queer Eye series. Yeah, that would be a song you could really perform and get the crowd all riled up!

Fun!

LadyFirelyght 02-26-2006 07:20 PM

I've actually thought about auditioning for AI... I think the song I would sing would probably be "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About" Bonnie Raitt or "The Swan Song" by one of my favorite bands, Within Temptation. I think both of them would really show off my range and colorful singing. Alas, AI has never come within 800 miles of me, and I've never been able to afford to fly where it is.

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 08:02 PM

Jules you can't be any worse than some of the ones who are on there LOL.... I love it! I would get tossed off the stage though. :) Simon would have a heyday with me!!

jillybean720 02-27-2006 08:38 AM

I've considered auditioning as well, but certainly not until I've lost LOTS of weight! I agree, though--I can understand singing a slow song in the initial audition, but once you're in the top 24, you need to really PERFORM...get the crowd going, bring excitement, keep it upbeat! I get so BORED with all the sappy slow songs...why do you think the "rockers" always do so well, even if they don't really actually sing very well (*ahem* Constantine *ahem*)?

I like the idea of "Let's Give 'Em Something to Talk About." I might also go with some standby classics like "Respect." I think my personal first choice would be "I Will Survive."

britomart 02-27-2006 09:14 AM

I'd sing "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by REM. I know I wouldn't have a chance anyway, so why not take the time I have to yell really fast into a mic and have fun? :D

lessthansign3 02-27-2006 11:32 AM

I'd probably sing "Final Distance" by Hikaru Utada because I sang it often during karaoke in Japan and I felt I could sing it well. It's Japanese, but I like it and it's hard for me to find pop songs that fit my voice well!! After so many years singing in choirs, I pretty much can't sing anything except opera and classical without it sounding like crap :( I hate it.

I'm going to be doing a solo in May for our big Variety Show, though, and I've already decided I'm going to sing "Blue Orchid" by the White Stripes. That way I can rock out and show off my soprano-ness.

cinnamonspice 02-27-2006 01:14 PM

Probably Gretchen Wilson's I'm Here for the Party. I think that's a good party song. If only I could sing..........but I can't :P

2CMEAGAIN 02-28-2006 03:33 AM

IT'S MY LIFE by Bon Jovi~what a rockin song!!!!:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

mistertripps 02-28-2006 05:03 PM

Great suggestions so far - too bad we can't talk to the contestants before they decide! I would probably go with something upbeat like Tennesse Plates by John Hiatt or soulful like Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (my favorite song of all time).

Of course, I'm too old (37) to audition, so you won't see me out there unless AI decides to do a take off show called "American Idol - One Last Shot At The Dream" for all of us over 35.....

Hey Simon, you listening out there????

techwife 02-28-2006 06:22 PM

IF I could sing...and really sing...I'd sing Kelly Clarkson - Since You Been Gone. I always threaten my DD that when I go to her school for Activity night, I"m going to the karaoke room and sing it...after I make sure everyone in the room knows I'm her mom. Hey...I'm just making up for the stretch marks she gave me... :lol3:

I also would like to sing that Santana/Michelle Branch song that goes "little bit of this...little bit of that..." The game of love!! That's it...Couldn't think of it for a minute.

jillybean720 02-28-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techwife
IF I could sing...and really sing...I'd sing Kelly Clarkson - Since You Been Gone.

I like that song, too. Unfortunately, Kelly Clarkson (or at least her management team) refuses to allow American Idol to use any of her songs on the show :mad:

GreatBigMonsterMomma 02-28-2006 08:30 PM

I'd do "Ring of Fire". Few people realize it was written by a woman (June Carter Cash, actually), and I don't think it's ever been recorded by a woman, so it'd be different. My voice honestly doesn't lend itself too well to a lot of faster-paced songs.