General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default UV damage/sun beds/sun/tans etc

What is everyones take on the damage from uv rays.
I am considering going to get a tan from a uv tanning place as I thought it would be a big help in clearing up acne that I get on my butt(cringe) but just make my skin appear better and too see a reall effect as Im losing weight, but Im really into biology and how these things are damaging, my bf said just get a mysti(sp) tan which I think they have something simular here but its very tempory, expensive and wont clear up my skin.

and Then it go me thinking about if I should sunbath to get a tan in the summer because wont I still be just getting skin damage.
I also think I look gd as pale as I am, but I dont want to burn in fl like so many other times and I want to clear up skin.

What is everyones take on this, and what do you think I should do?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

hmm. I'm blonde and white, white, white. I don't know if this helps skin, but i use neutragena sunless tanning foam. Works great, and makes my legs look skinnier. it also bypasses the whole uv ray dilemna. I don't think I helped much, and I'm sorry!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #3  

Lightbulb

Well... it's not good for you in the long run.

Personally, yes... laugh away...., but I would rather try baby cream like Balmex or Desitin instead of attempting to tan them away.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #4  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

its cool, I was thinking of using some of that(kinda stuff) as I tan on hol,
is it water proof, how long does it last?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #5  

I would say that those creams, since they are nice and thick, are mostly water proof and have to be re-applied after each shower.

I don't think I would wear it into a tanning booth or bed though. You never know how your skin might react, plus I thik they are very picky about what creams and lotions you can or cannot use in a bed or booth because it does something to the plastic peice that rests on the bulbs.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #6  
Aleecia

I think I'm on the fence on this one. I love to be tan, but who doesn't. It always make you feel a lot better and thinner. About 3 years ago I used to be the tanning bed queen, but in recent years, like you said you just hear all the bad affects of the UV rays. It kinda freaks me out now.
I will tell you that I have had the mystic tan. It did look really good, but it is expensive and it only lasted about a week. I had it done for a weddding that I went to and then again for a formal party.
This may be one of those things you set for your goals. Say you lose an X amount of weight then you can treat yourself to a mystic tan.
Just a suggestion.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #7  

For acne you should ask your doc for Erythromycin Topical Gel this stuff really works my dd had acne really bad 1 week later ALL GONE !!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #8  
Marathon Goddess

Its just to dangerous to risk, a tan looks good, but its temporary, and if you have seen the damage that skin cancer does, well its not, and it can destroy your body, and if you dont catch it fast enough, your face or wherever they have to carve it out, will never be the same, not to mention skin cancer kills. There is a higher risk in tanning beds, ask any dermatologist.

Its hard I know I love a tan as well. I use the jergins glow, I use the dark for my legs, light for my upper body, and love it, its easy to put on, it gets dark slowly and it looks like a real tan. I got tons of compliments, and questions on where I had vacationed last year.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #9  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

i am pro tan,i am a avid tanner,i belive in tanning all the way,i belong to an tanning board on the net here that has wondeful wonderful advice and tips and suggestions on tanning the safe and right way,tanning can be very safe if done properly and tanning beds are a whole lot safer then laying in the sun because its a controlled envorment,less uv rays,and required timing on how long you can lay.please if anyone is interested in tanning please go read the tanning site i have on my public gallery or pm me and i will give you the site name or help in anyway i can.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #10  

I go tanning occasionally. Personally the way I see it is it's not an everyday thing. I'm not in there for that long, and it makes me feel good and helps beat the February Blahs! I can see it being dangerous if you went constantly for a long period of time. It goes both ways I guess. Do what makes you feel comfortable!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #11  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I've always been very anti-tan because I know that if I keep my skin pale, when I'm 60 or 70 I'll look a lot younger. My grandma on my mom's side never tanned, but my grandma on my dad's side worshipped the sun, and although she's younger my other grandma looks like she's the younger one.

Does anyone know where to buy a good sunless tanning lotion? I'm interested in using that stuff for pageants (my pale skin probably blinded the judges last time!!) but I can't find any in stores around here. Do you look with the lotions or somewhere else?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #12  
charliekay

well i say i only live once so i might as well live like i want to instead of being scared of everything.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I am pro tanning for several reasons. It makes me feel happier, look better, and it's relaxing. I am not a fair skinned person genetically, but I do take care of my skin and don't overdo it. As overweight people or formerly overweight people we should all know that moderation is the key. If you would like more info on indoor tanning pm my girl charliekay or myself and we can give you some info on indoor tanning, and self tanners.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #14  
charliekay

thanks so much beatlesfan.i appreciate the good words.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #15  

Most of the people I know that were tanning-bed addicts in their twenties look like dried up leather now and they get mistaken for being much older than they really are. I tried tanning beds for a while, before I went on a couple vacations, because I didn't want to burn, either, and I also was hoping it would clear up my skin. It accomplished neither. The only thing I'd give it credit for is making me look less vein-y in shorts! hehehe

When I feel the need to look more tan for a particular event or occasion, I do the mystic tan thing. I really like the results, but I agree it isn't cheap. My grandfather had skin cancer from too many sunburns on his face, and it was NOT a pretty sight...so I've got some serious issues with too much UV exposure.

I chuckle when I hear people talk about how safe tanning beds are. I remember the first time I dragged a friend to the tanning booths with me and the manager gave us this big shpeel about how careful and monitored everything is and how its "impossible" to get burned. Well, after ONE session for a short amount of time that THEY recommended, my friend had a burn all over and it peeled. Yuck. Luckily, I never had this happen to me.
Closed Thread