3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Rudeness! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/77123-rudeness.html)

hoodj0080 02-23-2006 09:53 PM

Rudeness!

I'm so irritated! Earlier today I posted a question on a teacher chat room. I'm graduating as a special ed. teacher soon (and I'm thrilled about it, I gave up good money to do something I love!), and I wanted to get other teachers' opinions on something. I have heard of new teachers who register at stores for educational supplies. Stocking a new classroom can take hundreds of dollars. I thought the idea sounded kind of tacky, like sticking where you're registered on a wedding invitation, but I thought maybe I'm wrong and it's popular. So I asked what they thought about it, and I got some of the rudest replies.
People said things like :
* Just suck it up and buy it yourself.
*We had to do it, so get over it.
*I guess some teachers are just in the field for the money

Can you believe it! Don't get me wrong, I kind of expected them to say it was tacky, bacause that was the hunch I had myself. But am I wrong in thinking they were a little...rude? I was very polite in my reply to them. I said "Thanks for the replies. I am a little surprised by the vehemence in some of them. I didn't know asking a question was so offensive."
I then asked if all veteran teachers were this huffy when giving advice. I know they're not, I just wanted to make a point. So any teachers who read thsi, know that's not how I really feel. All the teachers I work with are very sweet, gracious people who want to genuinely help. I can't believe someone actually said i was in thsi for the money! You don't teach special ed. pre-school for the wads of money they throw at you. You do it because you enjoy children and want to help them succeed.

I'm not going back to that chat room ever!

hoodj0080 02-23-2006 09:54 PM

Good Lord, could I have had anymore typing errors? Sorry, chickies!

LadyFirelyght 02-23-2006 10:06 PM

Some people are just hostile when they think that someone is trying to "take advantage" of others. Obviously a person doesn't teach Special Ed. in order to make tons of money. It takes a very special person to handle that. I applaud you and all other SE teachers, because it's people like you that have helped my youngest nephew (7, who has autism) see how bright he really is, despite his disability.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with posting where you're registered at. You're not making tons and tons of money, so any help will no doubt be greatly appreciated. Good luck with it.

hoodj0080 02-23-2006 10:09 PM

Thank you Lady! I'm so glad atleast one person didn't think I'm horrible:)

Less of Lena 02-23-2006 10:09 PM

The anonymous nature of internet posting seems to bring out the best in some folks and the absolute worst in others. Seems like you ran into some of the worst :( .

What makes it really sad is these are the same people charged with caring for and educating our children. If those particular teachers can't even show a bit of civility in a post, I worry about what they are displaying in the classroom.

I really wish teachers didn't have to dig into their own pockets to supply the classroom. But, from what I've been told, that's the norm. Teachers are to be commended; you are, without a doubt, very special people.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be graduation!

hoodj0080 02-23-2006 10:17 PM

Thanks Lena! I graduate in Dec. 2006. I'm in student teaching for the next year. Texas is gung ho about education and it's a long road to become a teacher. I replied on your pedometer post, btw!

mom2cole 02-23-2006 10:18 PM

I am not a teacher, but I don't think you are wrong for trying to find ways to help stock your class room. I work in retail and when school shopping time comes around, it is amazing what is on school supply lists today. Most lists have kids buy several boxes of pencils for a classroom supply, same with tissues, paper and anything else they may need. Instead of each kid having their own, it seems like the teachers are having the parents buy enough to last for a while and all of the kids share it. Heck one list even had the parents buy a roll of film to use in the class room. I know some parents can't afford it, but when I did help out in a class room, the teacher asked the parents to buy one small package of something for a project and she had so much stuff sent in that she had to send some of it back home. I do remember when I was doing my taxes that if you bought supplies for your class room they were a tax right off so save your reciepts. I am a parent of two little boys and I would gladly help out with my kids class room, so maybe drop a note to parents to help out with certain supplies if they can. Good luck.

hoodj0080 02-23-2006 10:23 PM

Thanks mom2cole! I appreciate your help. You're right, school supply lists are horrendous! I'm really concerned with the big stuff- bookshelves, pocket charts, anywhere from 100-300 children's books taht are rotated through out the year, play food, blocks, manipulatives, etc. I know I'll figure it out:)
Your sons and their teachers are blessed to have such a caring mommy!

pixiefalls 02-23-2006 10:26 PM

I'm a senior in highschool preparing to graduate but I just had to say that what they said was very rude and un-called for. I appreciate what my teachers try to do for me and I think it's sad that some people are like that. Don't let that bother you. You are doing a great thing:)!

Jeep Girl 02-23-2006 11:01 PM

Check to see if the school district has storage. I drive a SE school bus (and I love my kids) however in the summer I work on the summer crew. Our crew moves SE class rooms from building to building and anything extra we put in storage. Maybe you can find some of the things you need like book shelves, filing cabinets etc, I know things can get expensive for the teachers. I try to help out when I can, at the beginning of the school year when all of the school supplies are on sale I stock up on notebooks, pencils, tissue, & more. If one of my kids forgot something or need a pencil or didn't bring the box of tissue they was supposed to bring for the class room I gladly give up what I have and enjoy the smile it puts on their face.

Lynn

bnbsmommy1 02-23-2006 11:52 PM

it does seem like the world is getting a little more hostile each day.

I've never heard of a teacher registering but it's an AWESOME idea, and I'd definitely help out if any of the teachers around here did it!!

Lacey

Linds81 02-24-2006 12:14 AM

Hang in there!

I replied to your questions for the Spec Ed Teachers... I'm an Educational Teaching Assistant... Lol like i said, I'm not a teacher, but I do work on one one with students who require assistance. I love my job, and find it quite costly because we make way way way less than a teacher, and get no funding for anything. SOmething that's helped me get materials is some of the teachers stores here in Canada... Scholars Choice is one of them I believe that has a program that for every dollar you spend you get "scholar dollars" back... so that is kind of good, because as you konw all of the supplies do accumulate! My favourite tool of all are file folder games. I don't know if you've ever heard of them... but they are amazing. It's a lot of work to set up (colouring, mounting, laminating, cutting) but once you have them done, they last. During the summer some of my colouring loving friends would come over and we'd break out the wine and colour for hours... trying to get these things done. Anyways, my kids love them. They might be something to look into.

Anyways, just ignore the rude people! I find some teachers that have been in the workplace for a while have become very jagged. And that's not saying that all older teachers are like that... but some are. Some of them, I'm not even really sure they like children at all which I think is very sad. Anyways... lol enough rambling for now... good luck!

GreatBigMonsterMomma 02-24-2006 01:33 AM

They're probably just mad this sort of thing wasn't around when they started out. ;) I do find it a bit tacky, to be honest, but it does make me further question the spending priorities of our educational system. Be aware that there are a lot of places you can sign up for a discount. Barnes & Noble is one of them, I know. I believe a lot of bookstores offer teachers' discounts.

DemoDiva 02-24-2006 04:35 AM

Hi, I'm not a teacher but I think that was rude. There are many ways to answer questions with out being rude. I hope the people that answered you teach their class about rudeness and listen them selves and apply i t. I have a granddaughter who is doing her student teaching,and I also have a granddaughter who is working with autistic children. Good for you for wanting to teach these kids.
Demo Diva

Kim R 02-24-2006 07:11 AM

My husband and sister are teachers and they spend hundreds of dollars for school supplies, when starting out or when switching grades, and regularly spend out of pocket throughout the year. While I've never heard of registering, there is no excuse for the responses you received from the teacher site.

My question is who are the people you think might give you graduation gifts? Graduation gifts are usually limited to immediate family members. Even then, there is never the expectation of receiving a gift. Now, if someone asks what you would like as a graduation gift, it's OK to indicate that you want classroom supplies - and even point to the registry. I see the worse case scenario is that you register and no one asks. Then you still have your personal "wish list."