3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   The End of the Honeymoon -- Need Advice (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/76033-end-honeymoon-need-advice.html)

Margarita 02-13-2006 03:08 PM

The End of the Honeymoon -- Need Advice

I've been working out and watching what I eat for a month now, a very successful month. But now that I'm starting to see results, I'm starting to slack off just a bit. It always happens this way. I do well for a month or so, then when I start seeing results, I get distracted with other pressures and slip back into old habits.

Have any of you had this problem? What are some strategies you use to stay on track?

mousie 02-13-2006 03:25 PM

Find yourself--set yourself--another goal. Try a class at the gym 2x a week for a month, or walk 5k 3x a week and try for doing it faster, or pick up a piece of clothing that doesn't *quite* fit and hang it where you can see it.

AquaChick 02-13-2006 04:15 PM

I have to fight the urge daily. It is so hard sometimes. Even though I stuck it out all week, and I did have a 5 pound loss this week.

Basically, my strategy consists of motivators. I keep clothes I desire to fit into close by. I keep a picture of me on the fridge, I think of all the good things about losing weight. I just push and push and push.

If there are any tricks in the book, I think I am constantly using them....lol....

kykaree 02-13-2006 04:44 PM

I constantly need to ask myself, what am I doing this for??

For me, I couldn't be motivated by clothes, or pictures of myself. I have been fat all my adult life, so couldn't really see myself as slimmer at all. Besides if I really cared *that* much about how I looked, I never would have got into this position in the first place.

Ask yourself why. Why lose the weight? Why work for a month to start losing weight only to lose focus?

Only you know the answers, and they may not be obvious ones. Most of the weight loss battle isn't fought at the fridge, it's fought in our heads.

Margarita 02-13-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kykaree
Only you know the answers, and they may not be obvious ones. Most of the weight loss battle isn't fought at the fridge, it's fought in our heads.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Kykaree, you're right that the answers aren't obvious. I'm not even sure I've figured them out for myself yet.

I do have a goal that I'm trying to reach. There's a 7-mile race I want to enter in 82 days. I'm trying to increase my endurance so that I'm ready to enter at whatever weight I happen to be on that day. But it's taking a lot of focus to stay on track this week. And I know that when the race is over, I'm going to have to find another goal. Just watching the numbers on a scale isn't motivating to me. It would be so wonderful if losing weight were a once-for-all sort of achievement. ~sigh~

kykaree 02-14-2006 01:38 AM

I'm doing a 10k race (that's almost the same distance as yours) on June 11. So I know exactly what you mean. I am not at all scale motivated (the scales think I gained 8 pounds last week LOL I know I didn't!!!)

At first I was motivated by my parents being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and a bit of vanity motivation, being able to buy better clothes in "normal shops". then comments started coming from all sorts of people, and that became a source of motivation for a time.

But deep inside it's the fact that my life is easier when I'm lighter. I feel happier when I am in control of what I eat and how I move. And my size not being the first thing people notice about me is a lovely thing.

Perhaps we should start a training log accountability thread in the Exercise forum. there are quite a few of us Fat Chicks launching into the running world this year. Watch out world!!!!!

srmb60 02-14-2006 08:20 AM

The other posters have got excellent ideas. If it's the idea of doing the same thing for another month that bothers you, just change up a little something.
make this orange vegetable month or increased intensity month .... or beginning running month!

Margarita 02-14-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kykaree
Perhaps we should start a training log accountability thread in the Exercise forum. there are quite a few of us Fat Chicks launching into the running world this year. Watch out world!!!!!

A training log for racers would be great! Actually, I'm not running because my knees can't take the impact. My race has a training clinic next month where they're offering to teach race-walking to those entrants who wish to learn. I know race-walking looks kind of silly, but I've always wanted to learn, and now's my chance. :)

kykaree 02-14-2006 10:39 AM

I'm still not sure if I am running it or walking it!!! I have quite severe asthma, so I am a bit wary of running, but we'll see how the training goes.

I don't think my hips wiggle enough for race walking :D

Lafayette 02-17-2006 01:26 PM

I use little rewards like bubble baths and all over body lotion. How about a $15 pedicure at the mall to remind you how cute sandals will look on toned legs? I painted my nails the perfect color to match my new look when I reach goal (hopefully this spring). Doesn't quite fit my late winter wardrobe to have pink nails... neither do my spring clothes but painted nails always feel good!

DeeJae37 02-19-2006 11:27 PM

I understand your situation, about 2 years ago I went on a diet and was well motivated, had my goals set, and ready to go the distance with losing the weight, I did well for 3 1/2 months, I lost 25 pounds and was like 11 pounds from my goal. Then what happened I'll never figure it out. I went off the diet, and re-gained everything back plus 2 additional pounds. I think my problem at the time was I wasn't taking in enough calories, I don't want to even go into details how low the cal's were. But I guess my body was trying to tell me I wasn't eating enough. After I re-gained all the weight back, I was feeling aweful (needless to say). I mean when I had lost the weight I was feeling good, looking better, had more energy, and it did wonders for my health, but I failed, and went back to feeling bad, no energy, etc....but I re-started my diet on Jan. the 1st of this year, and it's been a blast. I have lost 15+ pounds and I'm rearing to go, and I'm ready to stay on track this time, I'm eating better, more calories this time, and plus I take a daily multi-vitamin. So the only advice I know to give is this, remind yourself why you are doing this, remember that it's a life-style change, weigh all the postives....And of course a good support system will never fail...and I have found that on this web-site, who knows maybe if I had found this place 2 years ago, I would be bragging about maintaining rather than defeat. I like to think about it this way, over all of this world someone is going thru the same thing I am, I'm not the only one who is trying to lose the weight, and there are so many people who have done it and have done it for life. If they can do it, so can I....Good Luck, it can be done, find what works for you and stick to it....

DJ