General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #16  
Marathon Goddess

As someone who had a belly button ring, in my opinion, she is way to young. I had one at 19 in college, and even then it was a chore to keep from getting infected. I have a very high pain tolerance, and it was painful for me, I still say Ive never had anything that painful, Im 29 now, and I was in a car accident that I had my face sewn up, my friend who had it at the same time passed out, and we both have tattoos, and mutliple ear piercings. My dog jumped on me one day grabbed it and ripped it out, so that was the end of that. And let me tell you that didnt hurt as bad, as it did going in. Let her make this decision when she is 18, so you are not to blame.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #17  

It's too young. Belly button piercings are meant to be shown off, otherwise why get one? 11 years old is way too young for a piercing down there.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #18  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I think it's absolutely too young and I personally would not allow it.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #19  
9.95 + S & H

11 1/2? **** yeah that's too young!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #20  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

way way too young, my husband and I are fairly conservative but i wouldnt object to a nose piercing or ears, they are not overtly sexual, I think that doing it is going to call attention to the childs body, belly button piercing is a more adult piercing and may warrant un needed and un wanted attention at such a young age...not until they are 18 or older...
Old 01-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #21  

Way, way too young. I agree with Safiyah. That piercing is about drawing attention to that part of the body, and is generally worn with middriff/low rider jeans and/or bared stomachs so that it can be displayed. You REALLY don't want to go there so young.

I have piercings--I had a lot of piercings at one time (now I'm down to 6 counting 1 in each ear)--and they're a visceral, body-centric thing. They force you to think about and focus your attention on that part of your body, and other peoples' attention focuses there as well. You really don't want your 11 year old facing that sort of thing so young.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #22  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

IT's true--whether she just wants it to be "cool" or whatever her own personal reasonings are (not that I'm sure it's very well thought-out at 11 years old), that type of piercing sends a message. When I was 19 years old, I got my tongue pierced. I did it because I wanted to do something no one would expect me to do. I liked having it to play with and change colors (and wear glow-in-the-dark ones at parties with blacklights!), but a lot of people were like, "WHY?!" and assumed it was for very, ahem, adult reasons. FYI--that had nothing to do with it, as I was a virgin in every possible way until I was 21 But it shows that certain piercings send a certain message, and I certainly wouldn't want my 11-year old (if I had one) sending any sort of similar type of message.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #23  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thumbs down

I don't think it's at all about sending a message...11 is way too young for a piercing period! Can't believe you even have to think about that one. That's about like kids with cell phones, I will never understand why a kid in elementary, or middle school needs one, yet I see them with them all the time. And wearing make-up, dying their hair, etc. trying to be so grown up. High School yes, especially if they work and drive. They have all the time in the world to experience these things.

I didn't even think anyone would do piercings on an 11 year-old! Here for tattoos/piercings it's 16 with consent from a parent.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #24  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi04
I don't think it's at all about sending a message...11 is way too young for a piercing period!
I would tend to agree with the exception of ear piercing, which is so commonly accepted that even infants often have it done before they can walk or talk Also, if I had a child, I think I would be slightly less upset (still furious, mind you, but less worried about their intentions) if they came home with an eyebrow or nose piercing as opposed to belly button, tongue, or (God forbid) nipples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi04
I didn't even think anyone would do piercings on an 11 year-old! Here for tattoos/piercings it's 16 with consent from a parent.
It must be different by state. I had a friend in high school in CT who had a tattoo done (we with her mother and they each got one) when she was only 11 or 12. She got a butterfly on her shoulder, and by the time we were in high school, it was slightly misshapen from having grown so much in those years. I would be afraid the same might happen to a belly button ring--as she grows taller, I'm sure the skin around even her belly button will stretch some, making things even more complicated (or more funny-looking in the future if she decides to take it out!).
Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 219/167/159

Height: 5' 9"

What is the purpose of such a young girl having her belly button pierced? Aren't kids sexualized enough at too young an age? I would say no way....she can do it when she is on her own and can pay for it. By then maybe she won't want to anymore.

An 11 year old is not mature enough to make that decision and has no idea what the possible side effects could be...infection, scarring, etc. This is where a parent should protect a child, even if the child hates you for it!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #26  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

right on leslie and Jilly
Closed Thread