General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #46  
Addicted to potato salad!

I was so happy for the cowboy dude. I may be seeing things, but he reminded me of a very young, geeky Chris Isaac. I think he has the potential and Simon saw it. I get really mad at Simon, but I think sometimes he's only saying what most people are thinking, but are too afraid to say so. My predictions are that the girl that was there with her famous Aunt that Randy knew will go very far. She was from NC. She was AWESOME. So was the blond girl with the pink top that was brought up by her grandfather because she was ditched by both parents...at least ditched by her mom...I can't remember what happened to dad. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the cowboy kid, though, once they clean him up. And I also liked the girl with the red flowered dress that sang the Bjork song. She had a lot of confidence in herself and that is really awesome.

okay..let's see what horrors tonight brings us! I dont' even want to talk about the crappy ones because..well..Simon has said enough for all of us, I think.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #47  

I've only watched one or two shows recently. And yeah, I must agree that people deserve the criticism. Someone's gotta tell them they can't sing or hold a note... or for some to not hold the note for so long! But i don't agree with the judges criticising how one looked or dressed or what not. That was just plain rude, it's nto constructive critasism, no matter what anyone says.

*for some odd reason, i can't spell critasism correct*
Old 02-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #48  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atamata
But i don't agree with the judges criticising how one looked or dressed or what not. That was just plain rude, it's nto constructive critasism, no matter what anyone says.
I do think it is necessary to comment on clothing or overall "look" or appearance. I mean, they're not looking for just a singer--they need someone they can sell, and it's a package deal: talent AND visual appeal. I know I can sing, but I know that at 280-something pounds, I would never be the next American Idol Also, if these people really plan on making it in the entertainment industry, physical appearance will be a major factor at ANY audition, screening, interview, etc., so they need to be told if that appearance is hurting their odds.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #49  

I agree that people need to be told that they don't have the correct look for the business, but Simon is so rude. I mean, sure, telling someone honestly that their size is a deterrant for their success in the field is being honest, or to tell someone that they need to ditch wierd clothes or maybe tell them to calm down a bit on the high notes or to flat-out say they cannot sing is fine. But, when a large man is trying his best and Simon says, as he's leaving, 'is there any food left at the buffet?' or something to that effect was soooo uncalled for. I know he said something about lunch.

And, I'm also mad at some of these people's friends. I mean, that guy with the American Flags shirt was so genuine in thinking he'd go somewhere and he seemed to have a small posse of friends waiting for him. I was shattered at his results and felt so sorry for him. His friends needed to be more honest with him in telling him he really shouldn't humiliate himself by singing in front of Simon Cowell. BUT, I also wonder at some of these people's genuineness and sadness being a little bit show and played-up drama...I mean, they HAVE to know, at the end of the day, that they just don't have it going on...you know?

And then, when I WISH they'd shown Simon's reaction, they don't...Like when that girl came out in those painted-on jeans singing "I like big butts and I cannot lie" and spanking her fanny, etc. Now, THAT is a reation I would have liked to have seen from Simon.

And what was up with Paula not liking the girl that sang "Redneck Woman"? I thought she was great!!

Any other comments on last night's show?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #50  

OH...and what about that guy with the goth/evil voice? He sounded like Satan barfing!! Holy Toledo!!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #51  

I LOVE AI!!!! Simon is to die for~such a hoot!I did hate the bigger stage comment because that girl & her friends & family would have seen it & how embarrassing for her!!!!
I thought some good singers didn't go through & couldn't believe it!!!!
I too think Clay should have won & Fantasia not~that voice gets on my nerves!!!! She seems like a nice girl though.Carrie definitely should have won!!!!She's the whole package!!!
This year should be interesting!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #52  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I do think it is necessary to comment on clothing or overall "look" or appearance. I mean, they're not looking for just a singer--they need someone they can sell, and it's a package deal: talent AND visual appeal. I know I can sing, but I know that at 280-something pounds, I would never be the next American Idol Also, if these people really plan on making it in the entertainment industry, physical appearance will be a major factor at ANY audition, screening, interview, etc., so they need to be told if that appearance is hurting their odds.
Exactly. If it were JUST based on singing, there would not be an age requirement. Why? Because no one wants grandma as the next American Idol. What teenager would go to see her sing? Even if she had the best voice around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
[I agree that people need to be told that they don't have the correct look for the business, but Simon is so rude.
Which is another reason these people would never make it. They would get much ruder comments than that, and publicly posted in magazines and papers around the world, if they did manage to become successful. The world's a cruel place. If they can't hack it at the first audition, they'll never be able to hack being an idol anyway. I believe Simon has even mentioned this before when his rudeness has been commented on. But Simon is one of the guys who hires people like that. He's the one you have to impress. So when they tell him he's rude, they're not impressing him and he's not going to want to hire them.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Which is another reason these people would never make it. They would get much ruder comments than that, and publicly posted in magazines and papers around the world, if they did manage to become successful. The world's a cruel place. If they can't hack it at the first audition, they'll never be able to hack being an idol anyway. I believe Simon has even mentioned this before when his rudeness has been commented on. But Simon is one of the guys who hires people like that. He's the one you have to impress. So when they tell him he's rude, they're not impressing him and he's not going to want to hire them.
I never thought of that. but that is a good point.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 272/234/170

I too think Clay should have won & Fantasia not~that voice gets on my nerves!!!!

Wasn't Clay in competition with Ruben, and Fantasia on the season after them?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #55  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakynsmom
Wasn't Clay in competition with Ruben, and Fantasia on the season after them?
Yup. I don't recall the runner ups with Fantasia, but with Ruben, both runner ups (Clay Aiken and Kimberly Locke) have made it bigger than Ruben ever will.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #56  

Was anyone else as torked off as me about the sack of potatoes comment by Simon? Gawd...what a jerk!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #57  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I don't think Simon is so rude, just telling it like it is because no one else will. As far as telling someone they are useless, yes, but the comments about the clothes, etc. no. American Idol is not just about the singing, but also about an image. Of course you wouldn't know that by the people picking Fantasia! What were they thinking?!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

I kinda felt like crying for some of those contestants, but you know the way some of them were singing or atleast claimed to be doing, what more can you expect.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #59  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieM35
I kinda felt like crying for some of those contestants, but you know the way some of them were singing or atleast claimed to be doing, what more can you expect.
That they never try that again in public?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #60  

I watched it last year for the first time, and I don't remember the comments being as malicious as they are this year. I do think the judges ought to try and maintain some semblance of respect for the people trying out, no matter how ridiculous they are. It's just wrong for them to be laughing at them. Even if they wait until the contestant is gone, that person will see the laughter and hear the comments when s/he watches the show on TV.

Re the cowboy, I think they were right to let him go to Hollywood. I think the decision was partially because they wanted him to have the experience, but his voice is good enough to at least let him go one more round, even if he isn't likely to be a finalist.

I wish they'd show all the contestants.
Closed Thread