American Idol returns - Was anyone else bothered?

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: Everyone who goes on that show knows they may be rejected. Some of them know they will be rejected, but want their 10 seconds of fame. They all know that Simon will likely insult them unless they're something spectacular, which 99.9% of them are not. Yet they go anyway. It's all part of the show. It's like watching an episode of Jerry Springer without having any clothes ripped off. Yet people go on Springer too...knowing they're going to be insulted. Knowing they're making a spectacle of themselves. I figure if they don't mind it enough to put themselves on such display, I don't mind watching them make a fool of themself.
    Yeah, but the people on Springer get paid to be on the show. These people volunteer to be spectacles
  • OKay, I have to say I only watch American Idol the first 2 weeks. I, personally, loved the little cowboy. He was the sweetest and you could hear he had talent, but he didn't have training. He had charisma, he made me want to smile anyway. I would love to see him win it, but there is the fact that he has never had a very public life. I think that might make him uncomfortable and keep him from being a fantastic singer.

Then again, I liked the red haired boy who sang the old school songs.
  • i love that show,and to me they didn't seem any different then other years,i love it.i wish i could sing real good,i would love to be on that show.
  • Quote: Yeah, but the people on Springer get paid to be on the show. These people volunteer to be spectacles
    Think it has anything to do with the nudity bit? Maybe AI participants should start taking off some clothes.
  • I haven't watched this seasons show yet. I usually watch the beginning of the shows and then stop when they pick them and go to hollywood.

They probably are being meaner than the other seasons because that's why a lot of people tune into it. Especially after what, 4 years of the show it gets stale. They have to try to do something to keep the audience coming back!
  • I honestly don't think they're being any meaner this season than in the previous seasons. I think it just always seems worst in these first audition episodes because you see SO MANY bad performances whereas for the rest of the season, you only see people who at least have a shred of talent. It's not like the judges have ever really been "nice" in the past.

Simon's comment about the larger woman ("do we have a bigger stage this year?") was actually the only "fat" comment he made, and he didn't even do it to upset her since she was leaving and didn't hear. That's MUCH nicer than he's been in the past--remember the blonde twins last season? He called them fat right to their faces and told them to lose weight even though they were maybe 150-160 pounds and rather tall.
  • no they shure haven't been nicer in the past,but i love simon,i think he is soo cute!!!
  • I have watched American Idol since the start. Each season has become more rehearsed ~ edited ~ and boring....we wade through all the idiotic " I NEED attention" stiffs to see the few unscripted naturally funny ones. If we didn't watch, they wouldn't show them. The ratings are higher than ever.

The he/she IT got EXACTLY what it wanted! The freak will be able to tell the story EVERY FREAKIN' DAY for the rest of it's life ~~ and IT will! Crying "why can't they accept me for who I am?" when their entire lives they scream out "look at me EVERYBODY I am differen't!"

Rehearsed ~ Edited ~ Predictable ~

Watching every minute of it
  • the super tan plastic girl made me giggle. reminded me so much of paris hilton it was disgusting.
  • Quote: the super tan plastic girl made me giggle. reminded me so much of paris hilton it was disgusting.
    Yeah, and that she auditioned TWICE--they showed clips of her in 2 different outfits. She reminded me a LOT of Ashlee Simpson
  • Quote: Yeah, and that she auditioned TWICE--they showed clips of her in 2 different outfits. She reminded me a LOT of Ashlee Simpson
    I saw that too! I thought I was imagining things
  • Paris Hilton was the first thing came to my mind when I saw that freak show! I wouldn't have such a problem with the tan thing IF she didn't have such an ATTITUDE! I like how Simon goes "Tell us about the tan" and she responds about who she is, so he again says "Tell us about the tan" and she starts talking about what she's going to sing, so he sighs and again says "Tell us about the tan", and Miss Tude goes "That doesn't have anything to do with the audition". Uh oh! You do NOT tell the judges that your appearance, personality, OR voice have nothing to do with an audition for an IDOL. This isn't JUST a singing contest. You can be the best singer in the world, but if your tude sucks, who's gonna be interested in listening to you?
  • I haven't got a problem with the judges criticising their singing ability ... if they're crap, they're crap, and need to be told. And if they are obvious time wasters, I say get rid of them before they open their mouth. But I do feel that the comments Simon made to the young 17 year old girl wearing her prom dress were totally outrageous ... I felt so sorry for her I could have cried! His comments to her were totally unecessary, she must have been crushed poor kid.

However, no matter how much some of the comments make me cringe, I am addicted to watching the whole show from start to finish!
  • Quote: I haven't got a problem with the judges criticising their singing ability ... if they're crap, they're crap, and need to be told. And if they are obvious time wasters, I say get rid of them before they open their mouth. But I do feel that the comments Simon made to the young 17 year old girl wearing her prom dress were totally outrageous ... I felt so sorry for her I could have cried! His comments to her were totally unecessary, she must have been crushed poor kid.
    The only problem with it though is they are there to be judged on how well they can be an "idol", not just a singer. And Simon's comments on the dress were hitting on the problem with that one. Idols don't wear prom dresses on stage. They have individuality, but they also have flare and style. A prom dress just isn't an idol type style. They're looking for those that have the voice, and can dress the part, act the part, have the winning personality and all.
  • Quote: She reminded me a LOT of Ashlee Simpson
    ...now that you mention it.

LOL