General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Question Anyone an LPN?

Hi you guys I am starting LPN school next January and was wondering if any of you *experienced* LPNs could offer any good advice for me? My husband feels that the private sector is where more money is paid so I will probably go to work for a private doctor. Out of all of your experiences...where have you enjoyed working the most? My *dream job* for LPN is to work at a elementary school because of all the days off and the kids, of course. BUT...it only pays $21,000 to start. No way can I afford to do that. Right now, I gross $40,500.00 doing home daycare (when I'm at full limit). Do any of you guys know where I can make that as an LPN? I live in Alabama, which is the lowest paying state!!!

Any how, any tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Sandy
Old 01-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #2  

I worked as an LPN for 20 yrs part-time here in Wisconsin. It was an excellent part-time positon that worked well with my family's schedule as my kids were growing up. Between my husband and my grandmother, we didn't have to utilize daycare services at all. But, as the kids grew, the work took it's toll on my body. I worked in nursing homes and pushed a 200 lb med cart around, as well as lifting and running around for patients. I loved the work, but knew I couldn't do it full-time physically. I went back to school for a computer degree and love the work I do. I work in a hospital, so have the medical atmosphere, but get to play with computers all day. Someone in a different area may have a different experience, but the LPN is so limiting. I'd suggest pursuing an RN so you have some choices in the future. Also, the pay I left was marginally higher than what I made as a new IT person entering the field. That's after nearly 20 yrs experience as a nurse!!!
My best to you.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #3  

Hi! I am a LPN who also happen to be a school nurse! I live in North Georgia and work for the smallest elementary school in our district. ( 200 kids) I love it though I wish it paid more. This is my sixth year here and I make right under 16,000 per year. I do however get teacher retirement and paid sick leave. My kids are 11 and 13 now, so it has allowed me to do more with them. They are both in middle school now and as they get older, driving, etc. I will probably get another part time job in the summer or something, but this is what I love, so I'm not leaving. Here in GA if you don't have your RN you are kind of limited in what you can do. Most hospitals and dr. offices prefer the RN. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  

Hi! I'm an LVN (what we call LPN in TX). I've been one for 9 years now and worked in lots of different areas of nursing. I started in the hospital, which I LOVED but it paid horribly (started at <$9/hr) and of course that wasn't in a metro area. When I moved here to the Austin area, my pay has almost tripled in the work I've been doing (which evens out to almost $50K/yr) but that's because I've gone from working the floor in geriatrics, hospitals, etc, to supervisory positions. The other ladies are right-- LPN work is quite limited yes. I'm taking classes now to FINALLY go and get my BSN/RN. I don't want to discourage you. A lot of times because of regulations-- federal and state mandated it seems like you do a lot more paperwork than actual hands on care sometimes! You will have many rewarding times but not as many as one would hope. Just hope the man upstairs counts all that unrewarded care since the medical field never seems to! Anyway-- you were asking about money! I don't know about Alabama, but I would think, like here in TX that the metro areas will pay a lot more no matter if you're in a clinic/ hospital/ nursing home or whatever. You can probably make close to what you are now in all reality.

But of course, that pay won't be right away-- with experience!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #5  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I'm an LPN
My advice would be to find your 'niche' and it sounds like you have! I work for a private practice doctor but have worked in a hospital and nursing home setting as well. Where I work now is by far the best for me. I LOVE the one on one contact and getting to know each patient

Good luck in school and have a blast!!

Lacey
Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Thanks, You Guys!! I would LOVE to be an RN BUT....they only offer the program during the day so that's out since I make my living during that time. The only cnace I have of nursing is LPN, which I am totally fine with. I like one-on-one patient care. I used to work as a Physician Assistant about 10 yrs. ago and LOVED it!! I wasn't trained so I had to teach myslef, which was sooooooo hard with not having any previous experience!!

I like the idea od surgery but I fainted once during an interview at a vet's office when they were pulling a dog's tooth!! How embarrassing!!! So I'm not sure how I would handle that now. Blood usuallt doesn't bother me and I love gorey stuff.

Anyhow, I would love to hear from more of you guys.

-Sandy
Closed Thread