General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default need recommendations for a trip to New Zealand

I can't wait to go to NZ, but I also can't figure out where to go and what to do... Since I've never been there, and don't know much about NZ overall, all and any recommendations, hints, ideas are welcome.

I'm thinking of going for 2-3 weeks, and I'll be flying from Melbourne, but have no idea where to land and where to go... Which airlines besides Qantas and Air NZ fly there from Australia? What's there to see in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch? Which destination is better, the southern or the northern island?

I'm thinking of renting a car for 2-3 weeks, and going from one place to another. Would anyone know the range of accomodation prices (B&B mostly)? Any driving/ road rules I need to be aware of? I've been driving in Australia, so the "wrong side of the road" is ok. I'd like to avoid highways if possible (or what is called highways in the US!) There will be 2 of us, but only one driver, and not a very experienced one at that, so the daily distances have to be manageable... Also, will there be any issues or additional cost involved when a 24-year old and a relatively new driver wants to hire a car? I've had a full licence for 2 or 3 years, just haven't been driving.

What are the "must sees"? I'm not into extreme sports that much, bungee jumping is a no-no, no need for recommendations here. Whitewater rafting might be ok. I'm interested in national parks, mountains, Maori cultural sites. I'd like to go to at least one LOTR filming sites as well, but I hear there are about 150 of them, so recommendations are needed her as well.

Any suggestions welcome
Old 12-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #2  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

Sushi, my parents did a terrific train journey in NZ a couple of years ago. It gets rave reviews, includes travel, some meals and accomodation. Do a search for it.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #3  
Vegan in Training

If I were in New Zealand, there are two things I'd be interested in....

Seeing the sights of the movie of Lord of the Rings... and finding out about the Mauris, the indigenous tribes of NZ... which I read about in school.

And I hear it's nice this time of year, as it's summer there, right?
Closed Thread