General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #16  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Default Pet Peeves

I have to agree with the person who said "people who don't do what they say they will do." At least a phone call, please?? That just drives me crazy!

Also, people who send their kids to my house without calling to see if it's okay, and then leaving them for hours without calling to check on them.

I also can't stand to see someone let their young children wander around in public places (saw this recently at a bowling ally).

It does bother me when people use the wrong word in sentences also - like "lose weight" as mentioned above, or how's the whether? But those innocent mistakes don't bug me nearly as much as the other ones I listed above.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 AM   #17  
Michigan Old-Timer

Just had to stop by and put my two cents worth in because this was such an interesting thread .

I agree with most all of the peeves that have been previously mentioned. GREAT list! I wouldn't even know which one to put at the TOP of mine. There are a bunch that really get to me.

One of my peeves that was not mentioned yet is the shortcuts people take when writing. I think it may be blamed somewhat on the text messaging from cell phones, but regardless it's annoying.

I can't stand when people are too lazy to capitalize and punctuate sentences. Maybe it comes from my Catholic school education where we learned how to diagram sentences with a ruler and a red pen or maybe my annoyance comes from the nuns who would not tolerate sloppy grammar. Regardless, it really bugs me!

I also really hate some of the less well known acronyms that people use on message boards that leave others and myself scratching their heads.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #18  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I've prolly (oops guilty here, too) done the its vs. it's one...but I'm with you on the rest of it. I know I'm guilty of lazy typing...I made a serious effort to go my whole life without ever having to type after a class in the eighth grade (pre-computers). I managed to last until 1997....I've gotten thoroughly into the computer thing...but never really got around to making myself relearn how to type properly.

Boy howdy flipafart...ya got us all going with this one.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
Boy howdy flipafart...ya got us all going with this one.
Howdy back at you. I just feel that we all encounter "situations" sometimes on a daily basis that drives us bonkers and it just feels so darn good to get it off your chest.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #20  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

One more.

Ticks.

Deer Ticks, American Dog Ticks, Lone Star Ticks, Western Black-Legged Ticks, Pacific Coast Ticks...

WHY ARE THEY HERE?? WHAT PURPOSE DO THEY SERVE??

I burn 'em with a match and then flush 'em.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #21  

Monet I LOVE your tracker. Where did you get it?

I too hate the people who won't merge when they should! Get over like the rest of us.

How about people who talk on their cell phones so loudly that now you have heard all their embarrassing moments.

Follow the weight loss plan to the letter and Plateau

Kashi gives me gas
Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #22  
hara hachi bu

Obvious grammar mistakes used to be a pet peeve of mine, but then I realized that as a mathematician I don't discriminate against people who aren't good with basic algebra or geometry. It seems socially acceptable to say "I'm not a math person" but somehow it's completely unacceptable for a person to not know seventh-grade grammar. Is it right? No, but illiteracy should be no more acceptable than inumeracy. I know some extremely talented writers who can't do math, and I also know some brilliant mathematicians who can't spell their way out of a paper bag.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #23  
Movin on down the scale

whistling inside/indoors that drives me CRAZY!!!
chewing with your mouth open...ewwww
Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

I have to agree with Loves Bassetts - ticks! They are awful!

Also - people that litter and static cling. It makes me insane!

Lynn
Old 11-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

LovesBassets, you couldn't have painted a better picture with that driving thing! Being from southern California traffic is horrible here too. Another one is if two lanes at an intersection turn the same way they get in whichever is shorter than just cut straight in front of you. That has to be my number one.

Number two is rude salespeople. We do a lot with dirbikes and cars and so we do a lot of buying of parts, etc. Everytime I go in to buy something, they treat me like an idiot! I don't know if they do that to everyone, or just girls, or what but I hate it.

Number three is people who talk and ask questions just for the sake of hearing themselves talk. My mother-in-law is like that. She'll ask and answer her own questions and announces everything she does.

Number four (last one I promise) is people who always have to out-do you. You buy a 20K car, they buy a 30K car, you buy a 32" tv, they buy a 37", etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #26  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Had to throw in my 2cents...

1. Bad/rude drivers
2. Parents who don't control their kids, or watch them.
3. Barking dogs! I'm not talking about a dog that barks a little, but ones that bark constantly day and night!
4. Rude people in general.

I think those are my top ones. A lot that were mentioned definitely do bother me also but those are the worst!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #27  
hara hachi bu

Oh - bad customer service is right up there for me, too.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #28  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Oh - bad customer service is right up there for me, too.
I have to agree there is nothing worse then going into a store and getting a rude clerk. I have to say I quit my job in August after working in the same convenience store for 5 1/2 years. But I have to say in response to bad customer service. For a clerk there's nothing worse then having a very rude customer when you have been nothing but nice to them.

Example: I had a customer ask me to get more cream for his coffee. I took out the old bag for him to use so he wouldn't have to wait long and he could get his coffee faster. He said thank you. I reloaded the machine and went up to the counter and the other woman waited on him. In return(in front of the whole store), he looked at me and started yelling. He called me a skank. A f-fill in the blank- skank. I didn't do anything.

I love customer service and giving the best possible treatment to all my customers, but it is really hard to stay in a job like that when you get treated like crap for being helpful. Granted there are some really bad clerks out there, but some of us really do take pride in treating our customers like gold.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #29  

Quote:
He called me a skank. A f-fill in the blank- skank. I didn't do anything.
That doesn't sound like rudeness, it sounds more like complete mental instability.

Here's some of mine for the smokers out there:
1. People who think that throwing a cig out the window or tossing it to the ground doesn't qualify as littering.
2. People who think that it's fine to smoke in the car with a non smoker just because it's their car. I don't mind someone lighting up around me when I'm not a captive audience, but I find it incredibly rude when I literally can't get away from it. I once almost broke up with a boyfriend over this. I had awful allergies and was hacking and sneezing while he blissfully puffed away. When I very sweetly mentioned that the smoke was bothering me he said he would try to "smoke it faster" - guess I should have been mean about it
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #30  
it's always something

The use of the word "thingy". It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Closed Thread