General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Anyone see that show on FX, "Starved"?

There is this new show on FX at 10 and again at 11 on Thursday night called "Starved"...it is not a reality show (which may have been interesting). It is a scripted comedy about three main people with eating disorders in NYC and two of them are guys! One of these guys would not go out with a woman he found on the internet because she was 5'9" tall and 140 pounds and he thought she would be too fat. To me, that would be on the thin side but like I said, it's not a reality show! This guy also had a scale obsession. They also had this bullimic cop who stopped a Chinese delivery guy on his bike to give him a citation but said he would let him go if he gave him his food, which he did, and then the cop threw it up on what looked like a pile of clothes but turned out to be a homeless guy! I don't know. Just wondering what you thought of this if you saw it. I will probably watch it again. It was kind of funny in a weird way. They also go to this strange support group where they introduce themselves and say they are bullimic or whatever and the response is, "it's not o.k.!" What did you think of it, if you saw it?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #2  

I did not see it (I don't have cable), but I did read about it on a news page and it sounded like it might be worth watching. I mean, it is a pretty dark subject to make a comedy out of, but when you think about the way we are so neurotic about our eating in this country (not just people with eating disorders, but practically ALL of us) it is kind of like that elephant in the living room.

But puking on a homeless person? That's kind of tasteless.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #3  
resident weirdo

I, having struggled with an eating disorder for 2 years now, am not fond of the idea of a comedy show being made out of my and many close friends life. I think it will breed even more disrespect and misunderstanding about what eating disorders really are, and what they can do to people.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #4  

How disgusting. They are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel when they try to make a comedy out of an eating disorder. I hope no one watches so it will go away soon.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #5  

If there is a disorder - someone will make fun of it - it's the american way. Not saying it's right, it's just how it is.....
Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #6  
Haley

I agree with you, Star, now a days ANYTHING is to be made fun of. I'm so tired of this "reality" tv phase going on now and even though this isn't a reality show it sounds like it is as poor in taste as the reality shows. Shame on FX.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #7  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I kind of want to see it, but I appreciate dark humor. I'll try to dvr it and post back with my thoughts.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #8  

I love this show so far. Then again there's only been one episode. It is very fun and is a dark comedy. These guys seem more normal than me but have more severe eating disorders than I have dealt with. I give it a a thumbs up. In truth it kinda reminds me of a sex in the city show mixed in with an eating disorder show (one that has a Monk feel to it). Since I like Monk and am cool with the City but thought man these girls sometimes whine too much...this new show is the better of both worlds.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 306/294/170

I actually wonder if this show will help some people who have never had "eating issues" gain some insight into the compulsion of an eating disorder.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

I appreciate all your thoughts because I really didn't know what to make of it as to many of us, this is not a subject to make fun of. On the other hand, it may make one think about how obsessive we are about food and weight. I have struggled with this issue of food and weight for decades (I know, enough already) so I try to look at everything on the subject and will probably see it again out of curiousity. From the scenes for this week, I believe they may focus in on the woman this episode.
Closed Thread