General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:34 PM   #1  

Default plus size descrimination?

Hope someone can help me... I have an interview for a retail job next week. The store is all regular sized and their store policy is for the employees to wear the clothes from the store. Is there a chance I might not get the job if I can't wear their clothes from head to toe? I could fit into their T shirts and stuff but I don't think I could fit in the pants. Should I mention this at the interview or wait until I am offered a position? Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #2  

Mattgood: Have they seen you already? I don't know what store it is, but I almost guarantee if it is Abercrombie and Fitch or one of their affiliated stores they will brush you off and you will NOT be considered for a job. They have a long standing "unwritten" policy of hiring "beautiful" people. As for the clothing issue, don't sweat it and don't mention it. They will certainly be able to tell by looking at you if you can wear their clothing. If they don't hire you on your merits alone, then the heck with them, look elsewhere for a job. I know that is easy to say when you may need one badly, but you don't need problems down the road once you are hired if they start harangueing you about having to wear their clothing when you can't ! For goodness sakes, no matter what happens, be proud of who you are right now and don't let them make you feel inferior just because you can't fit into their clothes! You are terrific just the way you are!

**My advice, start on a good weight loss program and exercise if you haven't already and get yourself healthy and fit for yourself not for others. Good luck and I know you will find a job just right for you!**

Faye
Old 03-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #3  
Legend in my own mind

My sister in law is a plus size and works for a plus size ladies clothing store.
she does have to wear the clothing that the store sells. But then she got a job at Ross, and I don't think that is a plus size store at all. she only quit after 6 months because they wanted her to work way to many hours.
now she works for the plus size store again. I really don't know if its discrimination for a store to expect their employees to look a certin way.
They are trying to sell a product and that is the bottom line.
There are lots of places you can work if you don't get this job so don't give up and try not to take it so personal. I mean, would you really be happy working for a store that makes you feel self conches all the time.?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #4  
jet

I think it's the store's right to ask employees to dress in their product if that's their policy (as long as they give their staff a decent discount to buy the stuff) so I don't think it could be classed as discrimination in this case.

I agree with the person who suggested not to take it personally if you didn't get the job, but why bother interviewing if you know that is the policy of the company?
Closed Thread