General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Default This place is a Ghost town!

Hey guys I joined back in 2012 and made it to my goal....

Since then I have been back and forth a few times as I never seem to be able to maintain my weight. But part of the reason for me not staying is that I have noticed that this place has been a ghost town! I don't know if there's less people or they just started using other apps, but I always liked having a community to go to for support and to give support........

Anybody else notice the tumbleweeds?
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Yes! What happened?

Yes, I joined 3FC many years ago. I lurked more than I posted but I really loved the advice, the support and the camaraderie that I found on this site. I stayed away for a couple of years (just life/work stuff) and when I came back about 6 months ago I noticed a big change. None of the regular posters that I enjoyed reading are around and I see a lot of 'one and done' posts. Where is everyone? I am guessing they moved on to other sites, I wish I knew where! It's too bad, I really enjoyed this site years ago. It has a different feel to it now.
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #3  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

True
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I have been posting here on and off since waaaay back in the beginning (under another user name, the email attached to it has long since been forgotten) and I've noticed a steep decline. I'm not sure when it happened but this used to be a really REALLY busy forum. But then, all the forums I used to visit regularly are all but dead.

Have people just moved to social media?
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I've noticed this also. The "general chatter" section used to be SO active. Now I pretty much just check the site once a day for new posts across the board. I don't know where everyone went. I joined SparkPeople but I don't like the format as much. There's some good stuff on social media but it's still not the same as a forum. Maybe I'm just old fashioned with liking forums?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

It has to be social media based on I guess the growth of apps and what not. I do prefer the old fashioned forums though too. I guess I am not one to go on Facebook for example and post my workouts or ups and downs..personally that annoys me when other people do it constantly. Or perhaps I just don't want my old friends to know I have a deep personal struggle with my weight. As for apps I have a few, but nothing community wise. I did seek out other forums a few years ago but noticed they were pretty inactive too. I feel that the more people post here the more I come back and then in turn helps a bit with my accountability. But ultimately I think everyone probably comes and goes from here due to not dieting or done dieting or redieting (like me) and so forth. Hopefully the more we post the more it will encourage others to engage!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

*Nod* I use social media to rant about politics and post about critters (cute cats, etc). That's about it. I don't actually put much personal info out there. I think I've posted about my weight loss and fitness struggles exactly twice on social media. I feel safer here, because we're all in this together.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

I'm not one for social media, I don't even have a Facebook account. And, yes, I like coming here because everyone is going through or has gone through the struggle of losing weight and everything that goes along with it.
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Another on-and-off old-timer here (and also had a different account before that).

I also noticed that the traffic is reduced. I've speculated that it might be due to "polarization" where folks get drawn to other sites that are devoted to their specific approach for weight loss. As with other forms of social polarization, I think this is a loss because I believe the cross-fertilization of ideas is a good thing and exposure to other points of view helps keep people open-minded. Additionally, I think the single-focus sites end up strengthening the belief of the adherents, with cherry-picked information and mutual reinforcement.

I like the 3FC model, with different subforums for different approaches, but everyone can easily get to any forum and there are common areas. My own personal WOE incorporates aspects of several different approaches that I've been exposed to over time. And I keep tweaking.

Last edited by yoyoma; 07-13-2017 at 12:27 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

I'm guilty of leaving when things in the weight loss window diminished over the winter months for me.

I know from other forum experience, that they dwindle when people choose to form a "secret" Facebook section and hope others will follow suite. I too am not on fB - due to others wanting to know my business when I don't want them to and here I have found a like minded and kind group. I have done some other sites for this same topic but found them to not be as polite to the ones here or at least willing to give good input not just an overall rant that you are here because you are fat and they'll remind you you are fat and just shut up and diet (yes, I removed myself from that site, who needs to be chastised). No thank you, I came here to find help in the struggle to take this off with likeminded people who too are looking for a cheering section because sometimes it can be a darn hard journey and maybe they have learned something that you haven't tried yet.

So thank you for keeping active w/posting - you encourage me to keep trying!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #11  
Halo Top Lover.

S/C/G: 265/149/125

Height: 5'8"

I also joined in 2012 and have found my old account..
It's sad that this place is pretty much abandoned.
AshleyFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/170/130

Height: 4'11"

I'm brand new here. It sounds like things used to be EXTREMELY active here before, because so far things are a bit more active on this forum than I expected when I first joined yesterday or so lol
SlytherinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:58 AM   #13  
Here to Learn

There did used to be more threads per day. I don't know where some of the people went but the other places I've found for people trying to lose weight seem even less busy so I'm not sure. This is still my favorite website for getting good weight loss info and sharing stories, asking advice, etc.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #14  

Long time user here for the same reasons stated.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #15  

Hi,

I'm new here (just a couple of days). I got into this forum because based on Google search, this was the largest weight loss forum. I've been reading the discussions, and noticed how warm and helpful the people are. It must have been pretty awesome before, huh. Wish I'd gotten here then!

Lose the Excuses, Lose the Weight
womens-weight-loss.com
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote