General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Money dilemma

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about this. But I've ended up with an extra $100 this month. We are not well off at the moment due to the economy. I have a few things in mind for this money and can't decide where it would be best spent. It won't pay any of these things in full but it would help. I could........

#1. Put it towards a dentist visit for myself. My teeth sometimes hurt and I know I have more than one cavity.

#2. Put it towards a vet visit for our dog. He's over due for his exam, bordetella and distemper vaccines and he has a lump (not a fat one) that I think needs to be looked at. He turned 7 this winter.

#3. Give it to my mom to pay back some of the money we borrowed from her. She's fine financially and has not and would never ask for the money. She'd also be fine if we never paid her back but I want to.

#4. Put it towards one of our bills (boring adulting responsible but still a good thing to do). We have payment arrangements with most of the utilities and what not right now so this would be extra.

#5. Have a little fun for myself. I have an up coming thing with my mom and sister. Having a bit more money would make it more fun. I work full time, husband only works part time at best and that's really getting on my nerves (it's been like this for years now, the economy is part of our problem but he's a big part of it too). I deserve a bit of fun now and then.

What do you guys think? Nothing mean please, I'm already depressed enough. I thought I'd add that my husband doesn't know about this money (money he does know about ends up spent usually) it's not a bad thing, just money that I secretly socked away bit by bit.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 04-28-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

If it were me, I'd split it between the dentist and the vet. You can still have fun with your family if you research free or cheap things to do, but it's really the company that matters. Take care of your health!

Last edited by WebWoman; 04-28-2017 at 03:00 PM.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

If it were me, one thing I'd consider is saving it for a rainy day. If you would have done one of the above options anyway, then by all means use it for that. But having extra money doesn't mean it has to be spent. I read an article the other day that the average American doesn't have enough money in savings to cover a $400 emergency without borrowing or selling something.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #4  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi AJ,

I'm a veterinarian with terrible teeth, so you can likely guess which two choices I am leaning toward. However, if your dog is 7 and (I assume) has received prior distemper/combo shots, that is not a top priority. Bordetella is never a priority unless you need it for upcoming boarding, dog daycare etc. Otherwise, it doesn't last long enough to justify doing routinely IMO.

The hard part is the exam and the lump. Of course I'm in favor of routine exams, but I'm worried about your teeth too. Describe the lump on your dog: where? how big? what does it look like (normal fur/skin on top; hairless; reddened, rough - or just take a picture and post it)? How long has it been there and is it getting bigger?

JZ
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:32 AM   #5  
Gotta run!

The thing I have coming up with my family is an annual shopping trip so a little more cash would be nice. I don't think $100 is enough to split and use for 2 things. Another thing I could really use is new glasses. Like I needed one more thing to think about.

Our dog has had regular shots in the past. He's never had any health issues and is very active. We get the bordetella vaccine because we visit dog parks and do agility competitions and training. He's a healthy weight with just the slightest little bit of chub on him. The lump is in his armpit on his body. I say it's not a fat lump because those, in my experience are more flat and rounded. This one is like a little ball, it sticks out further. It's not attached to his body but is just under the skin. He has no issues with me poking or squeezing it a little. The skin on top is perfect, white and healthy. It's just a little different, could it still be a fat lump? He is getting one of those not far from there. I first noticed it about a year ago and as far as I can tell it hasn't changed. Maybe I'm being over protective. We just lost our old guy in January to lymphoma, my heart is still crushed.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 04-30-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

My suggestion is the dentist. If you can catch any work that needs to be done early better to have it done then wait until potential issues pop up and the bill triples, doubles or worse...the dentist is expensive, but worth it! My dentist is always saying how a healthy mouth can help prevent serious health issues down the road.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I would also pick dentist as the top priority. Little cavities turn into big cavities turn into root canals, and you don't want to go down that path. It's agonizing to see people having to choose between important preventative care and paying the utility bills.

All the things on your list are important. Is there any way you can boost your income a bit with gigs or odd jobs or selling some things on ebay/etsy or at a local farmer's market or other events? Is there any chance the vet or dentist would be open to a barter arrangement? Are there any creative ways to reduce your current expenses? It sounds like a little extra money in the black would have a big impact on your lifestyle (well, as long as your husband doesn't find out about it and spend it; that's a whole 'nother issue).

Good luck, I hope you find a way to a more financially secure future!

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-30-2017 at 10:25 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #8  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

I'd probably hang on to it for a rainy day. With the dental/vet proposals would you be able to fund any additional work that was needed? I mean if $100 covers the dentist telling you all your teeth are gonna fall out in a month unless you have surgery and you cannot afford the surgery....

If you could somehow afford follow up care I'd say either the dental, vet visit or both. It sounds like you could do with a little 'me' time though so if you need the release spend it on you!

Last edited by knoxie; 04-30-2017 at 10:52 AM.
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #9  

Absolutely the dentist! If you have pain and/or cavities, you really need to address them ASAP so you don't end up with worse problems down the road. Also, your teeth/mouth problems can also end up leading to other health problems.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have not posted here in a long time, so be it.

I would just hang onto it for 30 days, and then come back to it.

If you have no plans to board your dog, (I work for a veterinarian), and it does not have tons of park, public exposure, those vx can wait, or you, in most states, can order online or pick up at an ag store and give yourself. Rabies has a whole different set of rules.

Is the dog fixed? Where is the lump? What breed? All makes a difference.

Your teeth, I here ya on that one! I'm dang near toothless. And I know dealing with the dentist and paying sucks. But in all reality, I would rather suffer through labor of having a baby, than have a damn toothache.

That said, fun! Rewards. Can be a small thing. A new bottle of nail polish, or just a little time with family, or friend, over a glass of tea, or for free, take a walk and visit.

At this point, I would just hang onto it, for 30 days, and revisit the choices. Leaning towards your teeth first.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #11  
Gotta run!

Well my "extra" $100 got used but not in a way that I thought it would. We were short for our monthly insurance bill so I coughed it up. Can't drive a car to work that doesn't have insurance! Can't live without working.

So, my teeth still hurt. My relationship with my husband is rocky. And I'm currently stuffing my face (I'll spare you the details).

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what I can order for dog vaccines. But I do volunteer with a rescue group so I'm sure someone there would know as they do a lot of their own. He does go to our favourite off leash area once or twice a week and does runs around the neighbourhood with me regularly. He's a 7 year old neutered border collie something, about 60 pounds. The lump is in his arm pit area on the body. It's fairly firm and round but not painful (he doesn't mind me squeezing it a bit or looking at it). I'm hoping it's a fat lump but it's more round than the ones I've seen before. I'm trying not to think bad things. We just lost our 13 (almost 14) year old in January to lymphoma. And yes he used to get his yearly visits and vaccines before I was laid off from my previous company. The current one doesn't pay nearly as much. Edited to add - the lump is not attached to his body and moves with his skin. Skin colour is normal. Dog is only slightly over weight (we compete in agility too).

I'm going to go lay on the couch now.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 05-18-2017 at 01:06 AM.