General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Thinking about moving after retirement

I'm thinking about taking early retirement next year and moving out of Illinois. I don't think the super small town I live in offers many opportunities for a young retiree. I don't live in or near to my home town. My family is not very close. I really want to continue working full time after I retire, so I need good job opportunities. I work for a University, so I was looking at some out-of-state university towns. Can anyone comment who lives in or very near to a town/small city with a University? What do you like and what do you not like (or hate) about living where you do? I was looking at Indianapolis and Evansville, but those towns get horrible reviews from past and current residents. I lean more towards the socially and politically liberal side, so I don't want to move somewhere extremely conservative. Cost of living is also a factor. My pension will not be huge, hence the need to keep working. Cost of housing will be very important. I'd be looking to buy a small house, nothing fancy. A low crime area is very important to me. I also very much want to make real friends who share common interests.

I'd also like to hear from people who have done just what I am proposing: retire then move somewhere for a second career.
Autumn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

hmmm, sorry you didn't get much of a reply. I'm originally from Evansville, and while I don't live there now, I have quite a bit of family there. While it's not exactly a big city, it's a pleasant enough place to live. No real complaints, and the traffic is certainly easy to deal with. Cost of living is reasonable.

Not sure if that helps. I wouldn't have a problem relocating there, but my wife thinks otherwise because of family.

I can heartily recommend Knoxville, TN area though. Great university, friendly people, and all kinds of stuff to do with mountains and lakes... And reasonable living expenses, too.
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #3  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I recommend that you travel for a while and see what areas you might like to move to.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

If you can tolerate living in Kansas - Lawrence is a GREAT university town
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Spokane is a fairly small as cities go (approx. 215,000 people), and has three universities (two private, one public), as well as a couple of community colleges. The job market here is great, and the cost of living is pretty low. As as additional upside, Washington is the only state without a state income tax. It's a beautiful area, with a lot to offer for people who enjoy the outdoors. Washington as a whole is politically liberal, though the area that Spokane is located in is a little more conservative.

As for the negatives, we get a decent amount of snow and rain here, which can be a pain. The weather can also vary wildly throughout the day.
Blicca is offline   Reply With Quote