General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Question Question about Prednisone...ANYONE?

Hey all...yep, know we all have the side effect of this "necessary evil" drug. Just wondered if and when will my body go back to the way it was after I start to taper more? I never had a belly, my legs are starting to look like sausages (bad enough, I am only 5'1") and my skin feels spongy-like, just kinda different feeling to the touch. Get very BLOATED and it is like that just waking up, some days more than others and try to watch my sodium intake, drink a ton of water and now starting to exercise again. GAH! This really does bite! I luckily do not get the MOON FACE like some of you do and I can only imagine how you feel.

Any tips/suggestions/advice?

Will I look the same again or is my body that way it is going to be now? Wonder if I will lose any weight at all since it could be fluid retention too. Do you just lose a couple pounds where you see it on the scale or just notice how your clothes fit after you start to taper? Just trying to understand how this works. I am on 20 mg. for another week, go see my GI next Wed. and hopefully, he tapers me down to 10mg where I think some folks have said that your budda belly, bloat, etc., re-distribution of fat around your abdomen area, will start getting better and going down. Yes, I to have gained about 10 pounds since I started this mess (40mg) but yet, was sickly thin for my height, etc. at 111. Normal is about 120 (carry all my weight in my lower half-Italian gal) LOL I struggle with my weight all the time since I am so short. I feel I look like a oompa-loompa the way I am built! HA HA Even 5 pounds looks like 20 on my frame so that's why I am so concerned/BUMMED about this weight gain, bloat, body shape changing mess and not eating the calories to justify this gain. Yes, some days I get a little more hungry so I just eat healthy snacks. GAH! My clothes are so uncomfortable around the mid-section and am so miserable. I am not used to having this GUT so stretchy leggins are my best friend right now. LOL BUT on the flip side, trying to be positive, am doing much better...about 4-5 BM's a day now and a lot more formed so I know I have to have this medicine in my life. Also, am on Imuran now as well.

Hope you have a blessed Day!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Your body should, but everyones is different. For me when on it I craved sweets horribly, so keep tabs on that. At one point I was on cream, shots and oral meds all prednisone, so it was triple whammy for a while for me! Keep pushing the fluids. Also, though it can help the one problem you are prescribed for, it can introduce some others as it does weaken down your immune system some. For me I know it took some time after I was off of it before things felt and looked better and those darn cravings settled. Good luck!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 119kg/91kg/75kg

Height: 5feet8

The face swelling definitely does once you are off it, but even when I have been at 5mg (despite my dr saying that amount is the same as what the body makes naturally) my face was still swollen

I have done a couple of stints on it. The first one where I was eighty miligrams for 3 months in my teens I just ate whatever i felt like ( so like a horse) and while the swelling went away, the weight automatically didn't. When I have been careful with food the weight does disappear
lena8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/203/114

Height: 5'4"

Every time I've been on Prednisone, the puffiness has gone away eventually. The longer I was on it, though, the longer it took to get back to normal.
sariejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariejack View Post
Every time I've been on Prednisone, the puffiness has gone away eventually. The longer I was on it, though, the longer it took to get back to normal.
I had the same experience. Fortunately, I don't take it anymore.
rikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM   #6  

I took Prednisone for my thyroid issues, but I started suffering from headaches, so I had to stop using it and switch to another medication. Later, I checked the info about Prednisone on the Canadian Pharmacy site and it turned out that headaches are on the list of side effects. after that case, I always read the descriptions of the meds I'm going to take beforehand.

Last edited by helebra; 03-28-2024 at 05:12 AM.
helebra is offline   Reply With Quote