General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Default Threadmill+Music+Just Dance: Neighbors appear annoyed!*long rant alert*

I moved to my area in August last year. I'm generally a quiet person. I live alone, I'm normally at work the whole day. I'm a teacher, so right now I have two months of summer vacations; so I decided to get serious with my workout routine.
For years now, I've been doing this: trying to pick up a workout routine during the vacation in a bid to remain faithful to it when school resumes. One thing I've always loved to do is early morning workout, typically c25k programs using my treadmill indoors. It has never worked the way I plan it. As soon as school resumes, I stop because there's always lots of things I have to do in the morning before my classes, so the first thing I throw out is my workouts.
This time around, I decided to change this and experiment with evening workouts.
There were several advantages to this: I'm less stressed in the evening, I'm free, and more importantly, I don't feel guilty about disturbing my neighbors so early in the morning. Around the evening, their T.V. is normally on and since it's a big family, the volume of the T.V. is quite high.
When I moved to my new flat, I was doing my early morning workouts, so I had a discussion with the mother (neighbor in floor below mine) to make sure they weren't being disturbed by the noise, to which she said no, that they weren't disturbed the least.
The difference between now and then, I must admit, is the addition of the Just Dance choreographies to my routine.
I'm a noise hater, so I constantly monitor the noise levels of my T.V. to make sure I'm not disturbing people around me. Also, I live in a tropical country, so there's no way I can close my windows when working out.
So for me, if they weren't disturbed by early morning workouts, there was no way evening (not night) workouts were going to disturb them, right?
Well no, because today they started hitting the edges of their window, right under where I was exercising. They did it for as long as I exercised, and stopped right when I stopped (20 minutes)
Given that I had a discussion about it with them before, I would expect them to notify me if they have issues about it. I'm quite annoyed at what they did. Right now, I'm 99% sure that the window-hitting was for my attention. So I'm going to wait and exercice again on Tuesday and see if they renew the attitude, then I'll go see them.
I don't know why they'd choose that way to manifest their feelings, and not just be adults about it!
On the other hand, I also am not sure if the parents were home. I'm in good terms with the mum and will have to again explain things to her.
Because, this time around, I don't have the intention to give up, and I don't think I'd hear anything if I lower my volume any further.
END OF RANT!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Just go ask. Talk to the mom, be nice, and just ask, "Hey, I was working out the other day and I noticed some banging. Was I disturbing you? I'd really like to work out and whatever time, but it will never be longer than x minutes but if you are trying to get the baby down for a nap/taking your one quiet break of the day/taking an important phone call, then let me know and we can work something out."

The mom may have no idea, the kids may be just being weirdo kids, and I can put up with a lot of noise if I know it's just going to be an hour at the most at a reasonable time.

Before you get too worked up, take a deep breath and go try to work something out. Apartment living (and I know, because I'm right there with ya) takes compromise and being on good terms with your neighbors is essential.

Good luck with your fitness plan!!!
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #3  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Hi TSH, good suggestions there, thanks!
I jogged today, haven't heard from them yet. Let's see how it goes!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hopefully it was a coincidence, but boy I don't miss apartment living. People can be so passive aggressive.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #5  

Have you thought about the gym?
WhisperClaws is offline   Reply With Quote