General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #1  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Default Why did you gain it all back?

I am so mad at myself; I put on 30 pounds since summer 2014... I have nothing to wear and feel frumpy.

I was doing great; lifting, walking and losing...then I broke my back. I was tied to my chair for 12 weeks and then limited activity...at that point, I had already gained weight, and lost all mojo.

I am doing great now, no back pain...just somehow lost my way.

How did you get your mojo back after weight gain? I feel so ashamed.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Sum, at least you have a legit reason!! I gained my weight back because I got lazy (college) and resorted back to fast food. I think taking my dad to the doctors so much really encouraged me this time around as I take after my dad a lot so Im bound to get high cholesterol and high blood pressure if I dont try to control my eating habits. Its also nice to look at a bunch of motivation pics and dream about wearing whatever I want to! We can do this!! In reality, it'll only take a few months for us Im excited to start 2016 at goal weight or near it instead of doing another new year resolution to lose weight!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I gained it back because I pulled an "Oprah": I lost 30 pounds and then checked it off my To Do List ~ as if I was done for life!!

If we could do it once, we can do it again!

Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #4  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

Sum-I'm glad you're feeling better.

The first time I lost weight, I started in the high 160s after my 2nd baby was born. I maintained my weight loss for years without much thought or trouble at all, but I was still mindful of maintaining. I still weighed a few times a week etc. I lost the weight slowly and my new habits were my lifestyle and they felt good

Then I started on a migraine med that really revved up my appetite. I gained it all back + an extra 15 in about 6-7months!!!! I knew I was gaining weight, and stopped weighing myself. I had no idea how much I gained until I went to a Drs appt and was shocked. I was the new unhappy owner of bad chloresterol, high bp etc when just months before, I was golden. It's crazy how easy it is to forget healthy habits

I hope I will never get such a big head again. I will hopefully weigh almost daily forever and realize sometimes you can't just listen to your body for hunger cues (i.e. When I'm on a new rx medicine). Thankfully my new migraine prevention meds are helping somewhat and I am losing weight. Maintaining requires as much mindfulness as losing, it's just your habits become more normal and not as much effort

Last edited by HIheart; 09-21-2015 at 11:52 AM.
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I fell into the habit of allowing myself the treat and skipping workouts because I was at my goal weight after all so I felt I deserved the rewards. Not surprising the weight crept back on and it wasn't long before I felt disgusting again.

I hurt my back too (collapsed disc) but I had stopped most of my workouts before then anyway. After hurting my back they stopped all together. I'm getting back into running now, as much as I can, and some yoga.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

First, I am so, so sorry about your back, but glad that you are healing fine and feel good except for the weight.

I know for me, it started with an injury. It made me stop my normal routine and without losses at the same level and success, it made it harder and harder to care. I was fighting daily battles with NO LOSS, so why fight the battle?

Why have the constant "I'm hungry!" "No, don't eat that. You don't need that. Make a better choice" And then you feel like you are suffering and you still gain weight, or in the least don't lose! Then you indulge. Then you indulge again. Before you know it, you are right back to all the old habits.

Then it starts, "Tomorrow, I'm going to make better choices" but you don't.

My regain was in fits and starts, but I regained everything I lost The last of it I gained 55 pounds in 8 months.

And how did I start? Well... one day I realized I was going to have to buy a new bra and new underwear. It was the underwear that was killing me. My "fat" underwear was getting too tight to be comfortable. Something snapped inside and I decided THIS DAY was it. And then it was.

Most days are OK. Some days are harder (fall/winter is hardest for me). Like today, I hit a new milestone.... but I also caved to the sugar monsters and ate a cinnamon roll. I try not to beat myself up and move on.

And I'm trying to remember - this is the only body I get. I better take care of it if I want to enjoy my elderly years!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 231.4/199.8/140 As of 12/19/15

Height: 5'6"

I regained over the course of a few years...mostly I think as a reaction to a relationship that was well past it's "best by" date. I was very anxious, and as a result I binged frequently. It got worse after the break up, as I felt miserable and used food to soothe the ache of my heartbreak. I gained 50 pounds in a year to reach my all time highest weight.. 230.

Since August when I hit that number I've been working the weight back down. Mostly I had to be in the right place mentally and emotionally. I had lost 15 pounds in January and again in May and both times regained it all quickly, once I hit the wall (I was counting calories/restricting).

One thing that physically helped was cutting out sweets. I told myself just one month, I could go without my usual binge junk. After that, my appetite reduced and I didn't feel too much like sweets anymore since I was gratified by a 17 pound loss. I don't eat perfect by any means but I do try to incorporate plenty protein and fat to stay satiated. I don't track my diet much, just try to eat naturally as I feel hungry. When I have tougher times, I sometimes feel a little like binging but I truly feel reducing the amount of sugar and hfcs in my diet has reduced cravings and false hunger. I haven't binged once since.

Good luck to you. Take it one day at a time.
MovingOnNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #8  
mmm pies

S/C/G: 285/265/198

Height: 185cm

When I gain it back it happens quick. Normally a couple months of partying will do the trick. Boozing has always resulted in very rapid weight gain for me. It's nothing for me to gain 70 pounds in a couple of months if I come off the wagon.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I maintained a 70lb weight loss for 8 years...then I got pregnant and had a baby. I nursed my son until he was 2 and breastfeeding made me ravenous. And he didn't sleep through the night until 2, so I was always exhausted, I didn't have the emotional energy to do one more thing besides just getting through the day. I gained 60 lbs

But! Back in June, I started eating better again. Counting calories, limiting processed foods, making good food choices. I'm down to 160 and halfway to my goal. Hurray!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #10  

Because diets don't work.

I've been doing Intuitive Eating for about a year now. My eating is just starting to normalize after years of the on diet/off diet syndrome.

I am grateful every day that I no longer berate myself for my food choices or weight status.

I can already see that my weight will also normalize at the right set point for my body, but that is just a fabulous side effect of IE.

The mental freedom from food obsession is one of the greatest gifts I have ever given myself. I'm far from perfect, but that's sort of the point.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #11  
Aleta

S/C/G: 160.2/156.4/125

Height: 5' 6.5"

We've all been here at least once. I went through a really bad divorce, then later started dating, then moved for a new job. I gained 30 pounds back. I used to lift weights 5 days a week. Now I can't afford it. I am trying to get back in my yoga and going to go for bike rides once the weather cools down. This is my 3rd week back on my healthy eating plan and I am down 3.6 pounds. It's going to be slow going, maybe .5 to 1lb a week, but it's healthier this way. Life happens. You can't beat yourself up. You have done this before so you know you can again.

Last edited by Kitiaraven; 11-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Kitiaraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #12  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginme View Post
Because diets don't work.

I've been doing Intuitive Eating for about a year now. My eating is just starting to normalize after years of the on diet/off diet syndrome.

I am grateful every day that I no longer berate myself for my food choices or weight status.

I can already see that my weight will also normalize at the right set point for my body, but that is just a fabulous side effect of IE.

The mental freedom from food obsession is one of the greatest gifts I have ever given myself. I'm far from perfect, but that's sort of the point.
Please do not generalize for all people. For SOME people it's that they can follow IE. Not for many others. I can "mostly follow IE if I control my sleep quality and my carb count. I am carb sensitive so my brain chemicals get out of whack and I truly feel and believe I need to eat. With eating whatever I want and listening to my body, according to your set point logic, I should weight around 265 pounds. That is where my hunger and my weight stabilize.

HOWEVER, when I take the carb factor out of my diet, my "set point" is much lower because my brain chemicals change to not being as hungry.

Which set point do I believe? I HAVE to control my eating period. My life literally depends on it.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Hi, guys! Please don't take this the wrong way, because I wouldn't wish for anyone to have to be on this thread, but I am SO happy to see some old friends on here (berryblondeboys and sum38!). I came here out of desperation. I haven't been on in a long time. This website and the people in the forums helped to motivate me to lose about 60lbs. Things were going great, and then I broke my leg 2 years ago. With my workout schedule disrupted for a few months, and bad eating patterns creeping back in, I slowly started a regain of almost 30lbs.

I've been avoiding the scale and also the blood pressure cuff for over a year, and at the doctor the other day I saw that I am back in the upper 170s and my BP is through the roof! I really need to lose weight so that my BP has a chance to normalize (it will never be normal, but at least it can be normal on meds - right now the meds aren't even bringing me to normal levels). I really need help. This is my life on the line, and I really need to see it as such. I've felt my clothes getting tighter, but - I work out 6 days a week, people still tell me I look great - so I've ignored the fact that you can't out exercise a bad diet. I binge eat. Like Berry said, good for days, and then something happens and bam - it's all out the window in a firestorm of sugar, carbs, and white flour.

Anyway, I just wanted to "put a marker here" so I come back later this weekend, I'm out the door soon. I need to start keeping track of my weight and food again. IE sure doesn't work for me (I know it's great for others). IE for me would be donuts for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and pizza and cheddar fries for supper. Well, good luck to us all, especially with the holidays coming up.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #14  
Melissa

Guac - so sorry you are struggling - and similarly to mine. except I gave up most exercise, period! But it was an injury that led to my undoing.

Some days are harder than others - for SURE.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #15  
Nerd on the Go

S/C/G: 160/159.2/120

Height: 5'3"

I gained weight 2 years ago when I was working a stressful job for an abusive boss. There was a cafe in the store and we got a discount so I just began eating there all the time. I've been trying to lose weight since then but have given up a lot. This time it feels different. I'm finishing grad school and I just got married and I feel like I need to work on getting all of my ducks in a row, including my physical and emotional health.

I think what really nailed it down for me was seeing a picture of me at work online last week. I looked big. Too big. I'm a short person, I can't carry 150 very well. I miss being 135. I'd love to reach the 120's but for now, my goal is just to get back to where I was before and be able to wear my old clothes.
TheLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote