Accupuncture

• My doctor has recommended I see an accupuncturist and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences and how so.
  • My parents did acupuncture somewhere in Flushing and liked it. What was the reason your dr recced it?
  • Acid reflux and digestive issues
  • My mom tried it several years ago for her sciatica. Unfortunately, it didn't help and she ended up having surgery.

Here's hoping that it works well for your g.i. issues and you find some relief!
  • I can't speak on behalf of my own species, but when I was a veterinary technician I could see the benefits of both acupuncture and cold laser therapy for our canine friends! It was seriously astounding the difference it would make for pets who came in on a regimen. I remember so many dogs who could barely walk and after a few sessions, were so much more spry and energetic.

I could see it in my own dog as well. She has severe hip dysplasia in addition to a myriad of allergies/GI problems. Acupuncture helped all of her issues tremendously! I have a new job now though, so unfortunately I can't provide that for her anymore

Anyway, based on what i've seen...i'm a supporter!
  • Quote: My mom tried it several years ago for her sciatica. Unfortunately, it didn't help and she ended up having surgery.

Here's hoping that it works well for your g.i. issues and you find some relief!
    Thanks! I am so much better actually and have been wanting to stop taking acid reflux medication. The problem with that is that coming off this medication causes hyperacidic episodes and my doctor said that acupuncture would help me wean safely.

Quote: I can't speak on behalf of my own species, but when I was a veterinary technician I could see the benefits of both acupuncture and cold laser therapy for our canine friends! It was seriously astounding the difference it would make for pets who came in on a regimen. I remember so many dogs who could barely walk and after a few sessions, were so much more spry and energetic.

I could see it in my own dog as well. She has severe hip dysplasia in addition to a myriad of allergies/GI problems. Acupuncture helped all of her issues tremendously! I have a new job now though, so unfortunately I can't provide that for her anymore

Anyway, based on what i've seen...i'm a supporter!
    Uhm thanks! Glad it helps furry friends, that's a good sign!
  • I've been getting acupuncture for about 8 years. It started because I herniated a disc in my lower back and I was totally disabled and taking Vicodin for pain. That wasn't how I wanted things to be and I happened to see an article online about the Top 10 things acupuncture helps and back pain was #1. I thought, well, I have nothing to lose. Chiropractors weren't helping and I didn't want to be on pain meds any more. I was super skeptical though and really didn't think it would work, which is why I was so surprised when it did. And because it worked despite my skepticism, I also don't think it's psychosomatic. I still get a once-monthly "tune up" and my acupuncturist works on whatever is wrong with me at the time. Am I stressed? She works on those points. Am I having digestive issues? She works on that. It's amazing what acupuncture helps, honestly.

It doesn't work for everything, but it works for a lot of things. Ask around and get a good practitioner. There's also more than one type of acupuncture, just as there's more than one type of yoga. The first type I did was a style where you had to lay down with the needles in for up to half-hour at a time and the practitioner leaves you alone while the needles do their thing. I had a hard time with that because I get anxiety if I feel trapped. The style I do now is Five Element and that's much more dynamic with the practitioner constantly moving and working on you, needles in and out much more quickly. It works better for my anxiety issues.

Whatever style you do, be prepared for the practitioner to ask you questions, sometimes questions that seem really personal. I began to joke that my Five Element practitioner was also my shrink because she could get me to tell her stuff I wouldn't tell anyone else...but it also helped her to fine-tune my treatment. And she's very easy to talk to.

PS- And yes, the acupuncture healed my back. I went from being 100% disabled to being 100% functional. I can run, hike, backpack, paddle, whatever I want to do.
  • Accupuncturist was very beneficial to my mother.