General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Is there any nutritional value in Nutella?

I bought a jar of it once. Tasted just like chocolate frosting to me! I could not see eating it for breakfast spread on toast like the commercials suggest.

Just wondering if this is all hype using hazelnut content as 'healthy' for you. Seems to me its mostly sugar and a ton of it!
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

Is there any nutritional value in Nutella?

If the world was perfect Nutella would be as good for you as a lovely piece of fish or some beautiful veggies.

Unfortunately, evil took control and made it the sugary, delicious, absolutely terrible for you food that I agree it is.

This is from one who can eat frosting straight out of the container without a second thought, except for "holy crap what are you doing (!)" , as I shove another spoon in my face.

As you can imagine both Nutella and frosting are no longer purchased by me.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yep, the sugar looks very high which is a shame because without it it would be darn healthy.

Just do what I do instead. Eat nuts and (a little) very dark chocolate.

Last edited by IanG; 06-27-2015 at 06:51 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #4  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

I'm guessing most of the hype regarding the health benefits comes from the people who make Nutella.

Given that the first two ingredients are sugar and palm oil, I'd probably look for an alternative to satisfy a craving for hazelnuts or chocolate.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Nutella was created during WWII, as a "health food" when low-calorie, high nutrient vegetables were inexpensive and more plentiful than protein, and fat (more calorie-dense foods). At the time, food/calorie shortages and the resulting undernourishment and underweight were the main nutritional health risk for children (probably up until the 1960's).

So yeah, it has some nutritional value and would have been and could be considered aa healthy food, If you were underweight and undernourished (but eating plenty of high nutrient, low calorie foods) as long as you had no blood sugar issues.

So yeah, if you were an underweight, undernourished child in war-ravaged Europe, Nutella was a brilliant invention and health food.

Not so much in today's food environment.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #6  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I think I must be the only person who has never tasted Nutella!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #7  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
I think I must be the only person who has never tasted Nutella!
Scootch over. It has to be one of the few sugar laden foods I never tried either.

Some of this stuff I actually wish they made in single serving pouches like the jelly you get at restaurants. I'd love to have a small serving available for a very special treat but having a whole open jar would spell danger for me. Trader Joes cookie butter falls under that heading for me. Once the jar is open, I'm done for.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie View Post
Scootch over. It has to be one of the few sugar laden foods I never tried either.

Some of this stuff I actually wish they made in single serving pouches like the jelly you get at restaurants. I'd love to have a small serving available for a very special treat but having a whole open jar would spell danger for me. Trader Joes cookie butter falls under that heading for me. Once the jar is open, I'm done for.

Nutella does come in single serving packets, often sold near the cash register, sometimes in surpising places (like craft stores).

Dollar Tree also sells a box of 10 or 12 packets of the Forrelli brand version, which isn't quite as good as Nutella, but also isn't quite as addictive. The packets are slightly smaller than a jelly packet.

Even with individual serving packets, I have portion control problems with high sugar/fat treats, so I only buy it on a very special occasion once or twice a year (usually Christmas or my birthday). I do love the Aldi version (which tastes better than Nutella and half the price) spread on crisp, tart apple wedges, which reminds me that I didn't buy any for my birthday (I was in the hospital).

Oh well, only six more months until Christmas.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #9  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Nutella is candy basically.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #10  

Thanks everyone. It was as I expected. A sugar laden product. If I want something that sweet I will just go with frosting. To me frosting tastes better anyway.

Well I haven't bought Nutella except for that one time to try it out thinking it would be healthy. That was until I tasted a spoonful. Once is enough.

For those who haven't tried it before, you aren't missing much. I'll stick with things like all natural peanut butter and nuts if I want a nut type snack.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Justin's has a chocolate hazelnut butter with less sugar but I would say Nutella tastes like cake frosting because it has as much sugar as cake frosting
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #12  

What really irks me is in the commercial they show a mom feeding her kids Nutella spread on toast as a healthy breakfast! Seriously?!!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Is it worse than peanut butter? As a diabetic, they gave me peanut butter and crackers as a snack in the hospital.

I had never tasted Nutella so one day I saw it in the check out line with some little cracker stix. I bought it to try and it didn't taste like anything to get excited about.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #14  
Warrior Princess

Never had it either.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #15  
Releasing the inner hiker

There are many recipes online for making your own homemade Nutella. You would be able to control the sugar content this way and still get the fix you are desiring.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote