General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Default Reading any good books?

I thought getting off the weight topic might be a good change.

Read any good books lately or in the past? Favorite authors? Genres that you like?

A while back I read the first two of the Poldark series and they will be showing a new Poldark series on Masterpiece Theatre this month. I can't wait to see that!

I also like humorous writers like David Sedaris. Funny travel memoirs are also a favorite like M. Troost. Dysfunctional family memoirs also like Mary Carr's The Liar's Club.

I just picked up Girl on the Train from the library and starting that. I hear it's a page turner.

Any readers out there?

Last edited by Crimzon; 06-01-2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: addition
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #2  

I am a reader. I have a Kindle and I love it. I usually read before I go to bed and therefor I usually go to bed too late

For the most part I read mystery/thriller books.
Becs08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I haven't read much lately, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Long Walk by Stephen King, it is one of his short stories, or novellas (can't remember which atm). When I read it's usually at night, and I've been too tired to do so lately.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #4  
Releasing the inner hiker

I like historical or biographical nonfiction. As such, I just finished Dead Wake by Eric Larson and am currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Next on my list is the novel Orphan Train.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #5  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzon View Post
I thought getting off the weight topic might be a good change.

Read any good books lately or in the past? Favorite authors? Genres that you like?

A while back I read the first two of the Poldark series and they will be showing a new Poldark series on Masterpiece Theatre this month. I can't wait to see that!

I also like humorous writers like David Sedaris. Funny travel memoirs are also a favorite like M. Troost. Dysfunctional family memoirs also like Mary Carr's The Liar's Club.

I just picked up Girl on the Train from the library and starting that. I hear it's a page turner.

Any readers out there?
I really liked Girl on a Train and hope you do as well Lizzie! I am currently reading the latest by Harlan Coban.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

The Martian by Andy Weir (seriously I loved this book, about an astronaut left on Mars, Fiction)
Eleanor and Park (YA)
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (YA)
The Fault in Our Stars (YA)
The Demon Under the Microscope (non fiction about the first antibiotic)
Let's Pretend this Never happened (hilarious memoir)
Cuckoo's Calling (Noir)
The Silkworm (Noir)
The Traitor's Wife: The Woman Behind Benedict Arnold (Historical Fiction)
The Husband's Secret (fiction)

Currently reading:
All The Light We cannot See

I run a book club
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

beerab, I also run a book club and I'm currently reading All the Light We Cannot See as well as The Shoemaker's Wife...both very good.

I really liked Girl on the Train, The Goldfinch (very long, but incredible character development), The Rosie Project (light hearted romance), Still Alice (depressing and we all started to think we have Alzheimers!).

I really liked The Husband's Secret....seemed like I was reading a movie. Defending Jacob was also like reading a movie. The Forgotten Garden was also lovely as well as Orphan Train.

Unbroken was inspiring but also heart breaking and it read like a newspaper article....a very, very long one anyway.

Thanks for this post. I'll be checking out a lot of these recommendations.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

The last great book I read was "The Testament" by John Grisham. This thread caught my eye because I just started a book yesterday, "Pearl Moon" by Katherine Stone. I read it years ago and it was great, so I just want to re-read it.

Thanks Crimzon for this topic. It is refreshing to talk about other things going on in our lives!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #9  
onedayatatimer

AshliRose, have you ever read Presumed Innocent? It's a great read and there's a Harrison Ford movie that's pretty great too. I read it years ago but since you liked the John Grisham book, I thought I'd mention it.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
beerab, I also run a book club and I'm currently reading All the Light We Cannot See as well as The Shoemaker's Wife...both very good.

I really liked Girl on the Train, The Goldfinch (very long, but incredible character development), The Rosie Project (light hearted romance), Still Alice (depressing and we all started to think we have Alzheimers!).

I really liked The Husband's Secret....seemed like I was reading a movie. Defending Jacob was also like reading a movie. The Forgotten Garden was also lovely as well as Orphan Train.

Unbroken was inspiring but also heart breaking and it read like a newspaper article....a very, very long one anyway.

Thanks for this post. I'll be checking out a lot of these recommendations.
I want to read girl on train and Orphan train. So far I'm loving all the light we cannot see

I liked the Husband's Secret and it was funny cuz it got a lot of discussion going, namely, after learning the secret would you tell on your husband or not? Most people said they would not tell.

We do monthly genres, for October we are going to choose a newer Steven King novel.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Thanks for all the replies!!

I hadn't check back to the board since posting on a sleepless night. Things got a little busy. Really appreciate the suggestions and I love the wide variety. Eric Larson to Steven King, some YA, etc. That's great!

I read The Goldfinch last year. I thought it was too long but good.

An excellent read by Eric Larson is In the Garden of Beasts. Very memorable.

I'd like to read King's new novel - the name is escaping me but I just read a favorable review.

I'll definitely look into Let's Pretend this Never Happened since funny memoirs are one of my favorite genres.

Thanks everyone. I hope continue to drop by so we can chat about books!!
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #12  

I do not typically enjoy contemporary literature so right now I'm reading volume 1 of "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm enjoying it far more than I expected. I read a lot of old, classic literature. If I read a book that happens to have been written during this century, it is invariably set in a previous century!
KittenIsOverIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #13  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I so wish I could be in a book club! Have looked for one locally but I live in a tiny town so not having much luck.

@Crimzon, I am just starting Stephen King's latest this evening. I hope it's a bit more like his older work.

Definitely read, "Let's Pretend this Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson; it's pretty funny. She has a new book coming out in a few months as well. I read her blog too.

@beerab, I loved the Husband's Secret. I read all Liane Moriarty's books and hope she's got another coming out soon.

I just finished the newest Judy Blume yesterday and it was pretty enjoyable. Kept my interest although it had an awful lot of characters to keep track of. It's a novel for adults, not kids.

Happy reading all!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/253/149

Height: 170cm/ 5 ft 7in

I'm reading Game of Thrones. I'm up to Book 2 and I LOVE IT! I'm generally not a fantasy lover (AT ALL), but I can't believe how awesome this book series is. Highly recommend!
Golda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #15  
onedayatatimer

Tai, is there any way you could start your own book club? You only need one more person to start and then you just keep telling people about it...you'd be surprised how quickly it can turn into a larger club. If not, then perhaps there are online book clubs? Just a thought.

Golda, I can't get myself to read Game of Thrones because I already watch the series (so am too lazy).

beerab, montly genres are a great idea. What has been the best part about this book club is not only do I read so much more than I used to, but it gets me to read book genres that I would never think to read on my own.

Happy reading everyone!