General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Travel advice

In May I'm going to Amsterdam, then a Rhine cruise through Germany then to London for a few days! I'm so excited. It's a girls trip with my mom, sister and a cousin. we plan to see the Van Gogh museum and I'm hoping to convince them to see Stonehenge. I'm wondering if anything be here has ever been and what is the easiest way to get there from London? My mom is disabled and can't walk much so we'll likely have her in a wheelchair. I did read there was a train that went near there but there would be a walk after. Does anyone know?

I also don't mind hearing from other people who have been to these areas.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I live in Amsterdam. I suggest you buy Van Gogh museum tickets online in advance, there are always long lines there and I believe you can go use the faster line with a pre-purchased ticket. Also better to go early in the morning otherwise it might be too crowded.

For me the must see in Amsterdam is Vondelpark, great for a picnic on a warm day and in the summer the ambiance is somewhat hippie/Woodstock. Another suggestion is the markets (called markt here), Albert Cuypmarkt is the one all the tourists go, it's ok but for a more local experience try Ten Katemarkt, which is also next to De Hallen (which is new and has a food stall/bar market along the lines of San Miguel in Madrid and similar markets). Finally I like the Eye Museum (film museum and movie house) which you reach by free ferry from Centraal Station, great views. And the very modern public library, 7 floors with a nice self-service restaurant on top floor and also fantastic views of Amsterdam, free of course. The library is also very close to Centraal Station.

I've also visited Stonehenge but it was a uni trip and the coach took us directly to the site. There appear to be direct trips from London which would be less of a hassle than the train+bus combination, such as: http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/...ours.id10.html

There is a paved path at Stonehenge and a fence around the stones. Here is the Stonehenge website on disabled visitors, seems you would be able to get free entrance as the carer: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...access?lang=en

Last edited by happynottsgirl; 02-08-2015 at 07:33 AM.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #3  
Started IP Jan 5/15

S/C/G: 210/206/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm also going to amsterdam but at the end of June and then a river cruise to Budapest thank you for the tips on the Van Gogh museum and the markets we are going a day before the cruise so I will try to fit some sightseeing in
Arobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobed View Post
I'm also going to amsterdam but at the end of June and then a river cruise to Budapest thank you for the tips on the Van Gogh museum and the markets we are going a day before the cruise so I will try to fit some sightseeing in
Oh! I was just in Budapest for the first time about a month ago, absolutely loved it! Enjoy!

Don't know if you have visited before (or speak the language) but for Budapest I recommend taking a phrasebook/dictionary. The people were friendly and helpful but some of them didn't speak English, although they tried to help anyway. I really want to go back!
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

Thanks for the tips Happynottsgirl! Really appreciate the inside scoop on Amsterdam I would much rather do what the locals do than the tourists. That totally fills the free day we have there, I know Mom will love the markets.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #6  
Conserve Water

S/C/G: 208/193/151

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobed View Post
Is this the river cruise Bucharest to Budapest?
KellyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #7  
Gotta run!

Nope, it's Amsterdam to Frankfurt.