General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Lightbulb I wish sizing also went by body type

In light of the thread on JCrew's 000 size, I started thinking about how hard it is to find something that fits my body type in the stores.

I'm a pear shaped woman and my upper body is a size 8 and my lower body...who the heck knows. If it's a skirt, I can probably wear a medium or small because my waste is small. If it's pants/jeans, I might be a 12, Large or even extra large since my booty is huge .

It would be so nice if when you approach a pair of pants, for example, you can see a size as well as a shape...for instance, pear or apple, or whatever shapes are out there...and to make clothes that actually fit those body types.

Even at my thinnest, I can't find things that fit me very well. Jeans are impossible. I do have jeans...maybe 10 pairs but none of them are perfect.

Maybe this is just a rant but am I the only one who's surprised that stores aren't catering more to shoppers by providing this? I'm sure there are online stores that have this, but I don't like to buy clothes online and shopping now is a frustrating guessing game. I end up buying only dresses that cinch at the waist since that's the one thing that seems to be easiest to find.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Stores don't do this because they have no incentive to. People are buying what they are selling already so why change?
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I disagree with the lack of incentive for stores. Their goal is for me to walk out with something. If I go there and can't find something that fits, I walk out empty handed. Sure, they do sell to plenty of people, but they're always trying to sell more. I actually think this might be the future of shopping and that people will walk into a store and have something that takes full measurements and then directs them to the best fitting clothes....at least I think that's what should happen.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Some stores *kind of* do this. Old Navy has a variety of styles of jeans (Diva, Sweetheart, Rockstar, etc...I forget what is what, but they are made for different body types). Worthington (JC Penny's) has a variety of slacks (curvy, modern, slim). I believe Ann Taylor does something similar with jeans. I tend to go for the "curvy" fits, as the other ones don't fit my butt or hips AT ALL. I have to wear a size or two up in the slim fit stuff.

But yes it would be nice if there was a more straight-forward approach listing your body shape in relation to the product. And obviously the ones I listed above don't work for everyone.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

There are quite a few stores in Canada that do this type of sizing/fit as well.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Even when I was thin, my waist was a little too big for the rest of my body and I had a hard time finding pants that fit. If they fit my waist, they would be baggy through the thighs and butt. When relaxed fit came out they were the worst! Now it's become so bad it's impossible. I can only wear elastic waist pants, and I hate them. They shout "old lady" to me, and even though I am, I don't want to dress like one. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote