General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question Can anyone recommend a vacuum in the $100 or under range?

Hi...

I'm looking for a vacuum, mainly to get up my pet's paper bedding on the floor, it isn't a whole lot, but I think I need a vacuum that won't clog easily. I have wall to wall carpet, my guinea pig's paper bedding is always getting on the floor. I can try sweeping it first or picking it up by hand, but I do need a vacuum, I'd prefer a canister that isn't more than $100?

Thanks so much!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #2  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

I have a Eureka Whirlwind vacuum. I think I spent about 70 or so on it a few years ago, and it's done a pretty good job taking care of the cat hair.

It's not the highest quality appliance, but it does what we need it to do.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #3  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

There are a few ways to go about this. When I needed a vacuum and was dirt broke, I went to goodwill, asked them about return policies on vacuums, and they said as long as it was brought back, clean, within 10 days, money back guarantee. I browsed their selection, googled the ones they had, and purchased the one with the best review. Brought it home, started to vacuum a portion of my rug. It had a leaky tube. I brought it back that day, got another one (second best review) and WALLA! It was perfect.

It was later stolen as a room mate claimed it moving out. The second vacuum I bought I got online. I looked into the best vacuums at the time and found one for a great price. I purchased new on Amazon and saved money in comparison to getting it from a store. Some googling of the brand you want can help. It's a "Dirt Devil, Feather-lite, Bag-less" Perfect for what I use it for.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I bought this one:
Eureka AirExcel Compact No Loss of Suction Canister Vacuum, 990A
on amazon. Right now it is $77. I've had it just over a year and it still works great.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink Thank you!

Thank you, these are great suggestions!

I also may check out my local hardware store, they sell vacuums, at least then I wouldn't have to pay shipping costs.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/280/175

Height: 5'6

I have a Eureka Airspeed from walmart. I've had it for a few months and I'm very satisfied with it. It was about $60. good luck!
Miss V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What might work better than risking clogging up a vacuum is going to home depot and getting a mat under the location ? That way you can easily mop and sweep it. We've bought mats for a variety of reasons and they were in the under $20 range.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #8  
Le Petit Papillon

S/C/G: 169/165/139

Height: 5'5"

I like the Shark vaccums
LePetitPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Have you considered a shop vac? We have one for our deck and patio (and for minor floods int he laundry room) and I am pretty sure it was under $100 at Home Depot. They also sold a bunck of different head attachments you could get for it - one for crevices, one for tight/low carpeting, etc.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #10  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Curious what you ended up getting. I'm needing to replace mine (for use on carpet) but as we're moving cross country in a year I don't want to spend much. Looking at the Dirt Devil Dynamite Plus on Amazon, only $46. Has good reviews but is it too good to be true? lol Probably...

It actually sounds like it may be the same one kurisitaru has? Though it doesn't say featherlite anywhere in the description.

Last edited by nonameslob; 08-07-2014 at 11:23 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 AM   #11  

I bought a Bissel Cyclone from Walmart for under $100 a couple years ago and I'm quite happy with it. Its bagless and has a clear catch container so you can see what you are picking up - very motivating. I tend not to buy "high end" any more as I have found they break down just as quick and are usually very expensive to repair. So, I buy cheaper and just plan on replacing vs. repairing when the time comes - all appliances. Thats just me. Good luck.
eliza86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Hi there, thank you all for the suggestions! I ended up buying a Dirt Devil and I really like it. It picks up a lot of my guinea pig's bedding and little pieces of debris that end up on the floor. I also put a blanket directly under his cage, it works well, thank you for the great ideas. I'm going to reread these replies when I get a bigger vacuum.

Thanks again!