General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default Do you use a fitness tracker wristband?

Just wondering how many of you use a fitness tracker. Like fitbit etc.

Does it help you?

Do you use it consistently?
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I have a fitbit and really enjoy having it. The FitBit really gave me some insight into my movement; since I'm a teacher, I feel like I'm always moving, which is true, but the FitBit let me see when and where my low-movement times were. Plus, most of my close friends got FitBits too, so we can cheer each other on, in a gentle competition.

Really, it is like a fancy pedometer, but I like having it
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Can a Fitbit work with your PC instead of a smart phone? I only have a dumb phone. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #4  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

Yes you can, it syncs with both very easily.

I have the Fit Bit Flex - so does my husband, cousin and her fiance - we LOVE it!!!

It is very very easy to set up on a computer and will cause no stress whatsoever for non tech savvy
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibog View Post
Yes you can, it syncs with both very easily.

I have the Fit Bit Flex - so does my husband, cousin and her fiance - we LOVE it!!!

It is very very easy to set up on a computer and will cause no stress whatsoever for non tech savvy

Thanks! Would my husband and I both be able to use the same Fitbit? Naturally, I don't mean at the same time, but he is just curious to know how much activity he actually gets. It's probably something he would do a couple times and get tired of. I can't see the sense in getting a separate one for him since he is not going to use it on a regular basis. I am the one who really needs the activity. Does it only measure steps? Since I have difficulty sleeping I am also interested in measuring my sleep.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Pretty sure a single device can only be linked to one account at a time. So if you have a device linked to an account, the steps it measures will sync with that account, regardless of who is wearing the device.
Fitbit Flex tracks steps and sleep time (time to fall asleep, times awake and times restless).
Fitbit One also tracks steps/changes in elevation.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Thanks! Would my husband and I both be able to use the same Fitbit? Naturally, I don't mean at the same time, but he is just curious to know how much activity he actually gets. It's probably something he would do a couple times and get tired of. I can't see the sense in getting a separate one for him since he is not going to use it on a regular basis. I am the one who really needs the activity. Does it only measure steps? Since I have difficulty sleeping I am also interested in measuring my sleep.
You sound like me. I have a dumb phone and I don't sleep well. I fet up at least 3x a night.

Thanks everyine for their input. I think people on this board mostly use fitbit.

I was looking at family circle. The top 10 fitness trackers. I was surprised at how many are out there.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
I have a fitbit and really enjoy having it. The FitBit really gave me some insight into my movement;
This is exactly why I think most people will find them useful.

Some devices make lofty claims about their ability to track the number of calories you burn in a given day but those assumptions are based on formulas that don't apply to everyone and therefore those claims must be taken with a few grains of salt.

Having said that where everyone can benefit is seeing how many more calories you burn in a given day just by moving around more. If you have a desk job or you're a homemaker it's sometimes easy to get caught up in a project and hours go by before you move your butt. Over the course of a day small movements can really add up. In my case the difference was in the hundreds of calories burned.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a Fitbit Force, I wear it daily since I got it in November. It has made a difference for me. First, it made me aware of just how sedentary I really was. And then it gave me feedback to help me improve. It also makes it kind of fun with the badges and such that you earn, and the ability to link up with other Fitbit users and compete or just encourage one another.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a Fitbit Force, I wear it daily since I got it in November. It has made a difference for me. First, it made me aware of just how sedentary I really was. And then it gave me feedback to help me improve. It also makes it kind of fun with the badges and such that you earn, and the ability to link up with other Fitbit users and compete or just encourage one another.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #11  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Lots of Fitbit people in here. I am as well!

My company purchased fitbits for all the employees. We all added each other and it's been insanely motivational. There is no requirement to wear one, but most everyone wears theirs. My direct supervisor is insane, she climbs mountains on weekends, runs every morning, HATES television, and loves to go out all the time. She'll hit 120,000 steps a week almost every week. It made it everyone's personal goal to out do her. I'm just happy to see I'm ahead of a co-worker. I was on the bottom for a while, so it made me walk an extra 15 minutes just to get ahead. REALLY helpful, days you have virtually no steps, you find yourself wanting to do something about it.

I also like the sleep tracker and silent alarm. I don't wake my fiance up anymore with a loud alarm, just my wrist buzzing. I get to see if I should go to sleep earlier, or if I'm restless. I also like that is syncs in with MFP and other devices! It's really really great!

I thought I would stop using it or stop caring after about a month or two, but it's almost been a year and I still use it! I just wasn't dieting and watching what I ate the whole time. XD I mostly used it for sleep watching during Tax season.

Last edited by kurisitaru; 06-20-2014 at 08:21 PM.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #12  

Default fitbit sleep tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post
Lots of Fitbit people in here. I am as well!

I also like the sleep tracker and silent alarm. I don't wake my fiance up anymore with a loud alarm, just my wrist buzzing. I get to see if I should go to sleep earlier, or if I'm restless. I also like that is syncs in with MFP and other devices! It's really really great!

I thought I would stop using it or stop caring after about a month or two, but it's almost been a year and I still use it! I just wasn't dieting and watching what I ate the whole time. XD I mostly used it for sleep watching during Tax season.
Which one do you have that tracks the sleep?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #13  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Fitbit, but I believe the flex does as well.
You just tap for when you go to bed, and it tracks your movement. When you turn or move around it's marked as "restless" if there is a lot of movement, it's "Awake." Then it takes the time you tapped it, to the time you tapped it to wake up, subtracts the restless and awake times, and tells you how much solid sleep you got, and how much restless sleep you had.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #14  

I think it would be OK if DH and I both used the same account. Like I said, he is probably going to use it a couple times to see how much he moves and then will get tired of it, then it will be only MINE! LOL He is very active. Not necessarily exercising, but always moving, doing things, rarely sitting still. I'm going to google them and see which one I want. Any info on where is the best place to buy it? Who has the best prices? Do they ever go "on sale?"
Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #15  
Less of a Better Me

I used to have a Fitbit Force which I wore on my wrist until it was recalled. I liked it a lot.

Before and after that, I have a Fitbit One which I wear in my pocket.

DH has a Fitbit Flex which he wears on his wrist.

What I liked about the One (and the Force) was that they had displays on them so I could see my number of steps, calories burned, distances, time, etc. On the Flex you don't get that display (you have to go to the computer or a phone app to see that information).

Wannabehealthy - you can buy directly from Fitbit. I also bought one at Best Buy -- same price as from Fitbit.

Anyway, I've found the Fitbit really helpful, I've use it for about 15 months now and I really consider it a big part of how I've lose weight over that time.

One thing I love is that I record what I eat at MyFitnessPal who then talks to Fitbit and Fitbit then tells me calorie deficit for the day (yes, it isn't exact but it gives me an idea). Also, I use my bluetooth heart rate monitor with Digifit to record workouts including non-step based workouts. Digifit talks to Fitbit to tell it my calorie burn during the activity. This tends to be a more accurate calorie estimate in my experience and is really helpful for the types of activities that don't count steps.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote