General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #1  

Default Wrinkles and lines appearing after weight loss

How do I get rid of wrinkes and lines that appear on my face after losing weight? I'm happy to have lost some weight, but these wrinkles are not good. Have you experienced this after losing weight?

I'm seriously considering to take an anti-aging product. I'm still thinking between Bioganix Phytoceramides or Strivectin-SD.

Any thoughts or tips?
FrankDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

This is not for most people. But I eat a lot of oily fish (salmon, mackeral, sardines, trout, anchovies) and it does wonders for my skin, eyes and hair.

Not to mention my weightloss, helps my joints and improves my heart health.

Fish oil supplements might help too if you don't like fish.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Even with the oily fish and lots of water I still have crepey skin, it's genetic for me. That said, I look a million times better than I did one hundred and ten pounds ago, and younger, too.

I wouldn't personally do any anti aging treatments, but that is because I don't mind aging and am cheap. Your mileage may vary. Ian is right that simple dietary changes or additions may be of great benefit to you, whether you end up doing other treatment or not.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I definitely think that supplementing with some omega 3 or eating some fish is a good idea, as well as taking a good multivitamin if you are not doing so. Nutrition from our food plays a huge part in how our skin looks- it is a reflection of how we care for our body. So make sure you are doing the best you can in that department.

However, if the lines and wrinkles are fine enough, perhaps you could try microdermabrasion treatments or a chemical peel. These can greatly improve the look of mild signs of aging. There are peels for people with very deep wrinkles, but they are painful and not without risk. I would see a dermatologist, and spend some money on the proven stuff. Those creams a lot of times are snake oil. I know. I have tried a bunch, and I haven't ever seen a real difference. I just need to get out of school and get a good job so I can get to the dermatologist. I don't mind aging, but more so in spirit and wisdom, not so much in the skin/face department. I know it's vain. I just can't help myself. When you look good, you feel good.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

The folks who sell my diet and provide coaching say that your skin has the ability to remold to your new shape, to some degree. It takes up to 6 months. I'd give yourself some time before making a major investment. Meanwhile, stick with a healthy diet, stay well-hydrated, and get adequate sleep. I'm not a believer in supplements, but have noticed I have shinier hair & bright, clear eyes when I take Brewer's yeast or B complex. Congrats on the weight loss! I wish we all could end up with tighter, not looser skin!

Last edited by mars735; 05-14-2014 at 06:07 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

A friend of mine is Korean and in her culture they are very skin obsessed (at least the is what she tells me) and she gave me a multi-step process that goes like this:

1. Oil cleanser and if your face is oily or combination still use it but follow with a foam cleanser, this is what I do.
2. Toner
3. facial serum
4. emulsifier
5. SPF for the day (extremely important and if it has zinc oxide even better because the sun makes wrinkles worse) and a night cream.

I have been doing it for about 3 months and have seen an improvement on discoloration and smoothness. Not so much on wrinkles around my eyes but that could be because I am still losing weight and well, everyone gets crows feet.

Last edited by PatLib; 05-14-2014 at 07:58 PM.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

OK, I'm going to confess, as a woman of a certain age, I knew the wrinkles would start to appear on me, and they are. Having said that, it's so damned nice to have a neck again (as opposed to two chins ). I must admit to my vanity, however, and as I'm in my VERY early 50's, I'm saving up for a face lift next year once I've reached my goal and maintained for a few months. I know it's vain, but it keeps me much more motivated
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Save your money Frank. This sort of thing doesn't work. At least dermatologists don't think. I just read an article in the telegraph in which one said of the second option you posted, it can do either fix the stretch marks or the wrinkles but not both. And i suggest, probably neither.

Better to spend your money on a facelift. At least that works.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Creams and stuf don't work. They just make people want it to work and they are willing to spend the money to try anything.

I have wrinkly, saggy skin too, but I would rather have that than the blown up body.

I'll just deal with the saggy skin. At 44, it probably won't shrink much. It probably would more if I were in my twenties.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I had the same thing happen to me - wrinkles literally appeared overnight and it was traumatic! I lost the bulk of my weight the year I turned 40 and up to that point, I had no wrinkles at all. Now, I have many "fine lines" around my eyes and just recently started seeing ever-so-slight lines around my lips. I also have developed a "turkey neck" that I really dislike.

Honestly, the only thing you can do is stay hydrated, use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer/serum - both will help make lines appear less prominent (i.e., won't get rid of 'em). Always use sunscreen, which will help prevent more wrinkles. Gently exfoliate your skin. Give it time (skin may bounce back a little over time). Other than that...botox, chemical peels or plastic surgery, honestly.

I already take fish oil for inflammation (joint issues) and I consume fish 3-4x per week. It hasn't helped my wrinkles one bit. I do honestly see a difference in the wrinkles, however, when I am not getting properly hydrated - they appear more noticeable.

Last edited by Lunula; 05-15-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I take two fish oil capsules a day. And eat 5-6 cans of fish a day.

That's a lot of fish.

Last edited by IanG; 05-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Good man! We'll have fish breath together. Though I confess I'm usually more of a two cans a day girl, with eggs and another meat/fish item book ending the canned fish consumption.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

I was constantly mistaken for early 20's, not anymore. :/ I notice my age most around my mouth and neck. It really bothers me but being overweight bothered me too. Can't win I guess.

I will have injections.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

You know what I did when I lost my 100 pounds the first time? (And I still do today). I do facial exercises (and yes, they do work!), drink LOTS of water (I drink 3-4 quarts a day) and definately purchase good quality face, eye and neck cream. Combine that with a winning food program and you are good to go.

Oh, and I'm 51 years young. When I lost the weight, people thought I was in my late 30's. I recommend people in their 20's start a good facial cleaning/moisturizing routine.

And don't lose weight super fast. That will cause wrinkling as well. And don't skimp on your fat!

Last edited by JerseyPAGirl; 05-27-2014 at 01:20 PM.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #15  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'd personally advise against microdermabrasion treatments or a chemical peel - personal, awful experiences (I had terrible acne as a pre-teen and teenager). Expensive and painful.

I'm only 27 but I've recently noticed facial wrinkles, maybe it's from the weight loss, or maybe I just smile too much Personally, I'm just saying, "Oh well!" as I don't mind them.

However, for you, I would second the facial exercises. I was once obsessed with preventing a double chin and was surprised to find that facial exercises actually made a (small) difference if I did them consistently. The rest of it may depend on your age, but hopefully your skin will bring back some once you're maintaining your weight.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote