3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Can you eat fast food? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/295156-can-you-eat-fast-food.html)

crispin 04-24-2014 09:11 PM

Can you eat fast food?

I can't even eat it anymore because it literally makes me sick. There's a McD's thread in another folder and, funnily enough, it got me wishing that I could still eat some of the food. :lol: Not only does it make me physically sick, but the few times I've tasted the burgers within the past 5 years or so, I've gagged on them because the meat tastes so bad to me. The thing though is I'd like to be able to eat it! I wish McD's would use better quality meat but I just can't ingest whatever it is they're passing off as beef. It's hard for me to understand how it tasted good to me when I was a kid?

I hope no one is offended by this. If you like McD's and other fast food I'm not at all judging you. I honestly kinda long for when I could stomach it because now it's been removed as an option for me when eating there would actually be convenient.

2fat2jump 04-24-2014 09:42 PM

I know exactly what you're saying. McDonalds makes me sick too and yet I still wish I could have it. It's made to be addicting though, so I understand why my mind still longs for a burger or a shake every once in a blue moon. Even the coffee makes me sick! I got an iced coffee about a month ago and then had flu like symptoms for the rest of the day. I felt so terrible. I do miss the convenience of grabbing a meal at any fast food place.

novangel 04-24-2014 11:00 PM

I was never a huge fan of McDonald's anyway but I tend to avoid fast food burger joints. They have made me feel physically ill on occasion.

Chipotle is a different story. :^:

Shannonsnail 04-24-2014 11:09 PM

I haven't eaten at McD in a month! Before it was once to twice a week very regularly. I'm not sure how it would taste now.

xRiotGirl 04-24-2014 11:25 PM

Haven't tried it in a while, I should go test it...;)
Honestly, I used to crave it all of the time but since I've just stopped eating at fast food joints, I don't even think about them anymore! Still, I will admit -- McDonald's is my biggest guilty pleasure. Love myself a Big Mac..sad but true! :p

Sydney_2009 04-25-2014 12:32 AM

I have never liked Macca's...not even as a child. KFC is a whole other story though!!

stunningsparkle 04-25-2014 01:21 AM

I can't do it either. There is only one fast food place that I still love and that is Taco Time. I worked there in high school and know that all of the food is real beef, cheese, sour cream, etc. and they make their salsa almost daily. So it's like fresh fast food.

Pattience 04-25-2014 01:44 AM

A few years ago, i got an idea that i should have a kfc as i had loved it as a kid. I was really disgusted by the experience and disappointed. But then glad cause i knew that it would not be something id have to worry about again.

As for big macs. We didn't have them in our town and we still don't. I have had the odd one and wondered how people could like them. the bread roll is - well you might as well eat a piece of tissue paper. The whole thing has no substance.

Now as for a proper Australian hamburger, they are great. Piled very high with good quality salad and of course canned beetroot. But i do not like this tendency in the last 20 years to add cheese (usually crapy quality processed cheese). I think cheese in a hamburger is overkill. But i do love a bacon and egg burger. Though i don't eat them anymore at all. If i were to have one it would be a hamburger with just salad and maybe an egg.

Or a fish burger which can be ok too. If its got all the salad on and the bread rolls are ok.

But i don't have any objection to mcD's coffee. Its at least as good as any other around town. I think would still love those little frosty ice creams too but its best i don't think about them.

I;ll always love a decent serve of fresh made hot chips. And battered fish if its properly made and fresh. I could never eat those things that came in a packet like chiko rolls and deep fried dim sims and all that other stuff. They are all just gross but i've always thought and always wondered how people could eat it.

Then a good old australian meat pie. I do love those. I don't eat them very often at all though.

davina 04-25-2014 04:10 AM

Mcdonalds french fries are like my crack so I have to avoid it but I think I would still enjoy them.
fast food burgers were mostly eaten during binges/compulsive overeating sessions where they did taste good but I don't think would be quite as tasty if I slowly savoured them as a sit down meal.

jerah 04-25-2014 06:35 AM

hahah guys, i bet the "issue" you have is someone elses desire:D

nelie 04-25-2014 06:41 AM

I always thought fast food was kind of gross, I avoided it from a young age, never stopped me from getting obese.

Palestrina 04-25-2014 07:30 AM

Lately fast food has lost its allure for me. I can eat it but since I started practicing IE I don't feel inclined to. Probably because I allow myself to have what I really and truly desire and let's face it, there are much much much much better burgers out there than McDs so when I want a burger I have a real burger. Also, have you ever lost a few fast food fries in your car and then gone to clean out your car a few weeks later and those fries are just sitting there with no mold on them looking just like they did when you bought them? CREEPY!! Shouldn't food be perishable?

pixelllate 04-25-2014 10:01 AM

I always had a sensitive tummy as a kid - threw up with egg sandwiches due to texture. McD's gave me a stomach ache, but it never stopped me from gobbling up McFlurry's and McNuggets with Sweet and Sour sauce. Even though yes, it is of bad quality and yes, there are excellent burgers out there, there are special secret recipes that most fast food chains have (like the Big Mac sauce and the Apple pie filling) that just can't be quite replicated. Whatever nasty chemicals are in there - they are NOMMMS delish.

Anyways, my stomach as grown stronger over time and even with healthier eating, I can eat grease galore and feel fine. I just haven't done it yet cause I'm too lazy to go out of my way for it and I'm trying to save $ on food, so I only spend it on my necessary food, not really fun stuff like that.

Munchy 04-25-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4991352)
Probably because I allow myself to have what I really and truly desire and let's face it, there are much much much much better burgers out there than McDs so when I want a burger I have a real burger.

Yep, me too! If I want a burger, I make one at home. I love to take really lean ground meat and mix it with finely shredded or chopped vegetables because it makes the patty super moist - without the fat, they sometimes end up dry. The veggies counteract it. I add just about anything, but to get a really "normal" flavor, mix 1lb of lean ground beef and 8-16oz of finely processed mushrooms and make patties out of that. They're meaty and not "mushroom-y" at all. Top with condiments of choice, use a 100 calorie bun for a burger that's under 300 calories. Skip the bun and use a lettuce wrap and you have one for under 200 calories.

I like different kinds of flavored burgers using things like ground turkey with peppers, onions, and jalapenos - tex mex style or ground chicken with hot sauce, carrots and celery - buffalo style. The combinations are endless.

Munchy 04-25-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelllate (Post 4991466)
I always had a sensitive tummy as a kid - threw up with egg sandwiches due to texture. McD's gave me a stomach ache, but it never stopped me from gobbling up McFlurry's and McNuggets with Sweet and Sour sauce. Even though yes, it is of bad quality and yes, there are excellent burgers out there, there are special secret recipes that most fast food chains have (like the Big Mac sauce and the Apple pie filling) that just can't be quite replicated. Whatever nasty chemicals are in there - they are NOMMMS delish.

I always thought big mac sauce was just thousand island dressing, but here's a copycat ;)

nonameslob 04-25-2014 11:06 AM

The only thing I've ever really gotten at fast food places since I was a kid is chicken and fries. I still think McD's grilled chicken is super tasty (yeah, loaded with sodium, but it's actually CHICKEN and not pureed gross chicken meat like nuggets as far as I can tell) and I still love fries. But I don't crave them as much anymore.

I do, however, crave a Wendy's chocolate frosty now and then. Childhood favorite! But the last time I got one, I ordered a small, they gave me a medium, and I could only finish half of it! Weird.

ILoveVegetables 04-25-2014 01:14 PM

From 2009 to mid-2013 I was living away from home, and I was eating McDonalds, pizza and other junk several times a week. Ever since I moved back home a few months ago, I've mainly been eating home cooked food, and I've completely lost my taste for McDonalds and heavily fried stuff like KFC as well. I went to McDonalds just yesterday after almost 10 months and it tasted like cardboard to me. I regretted it the moment I put it in my mouth.

I still like pizza and have it a couple of times a month, but unlike earlier when I could scarf down one or two medium pizzas at a time, I can now manage about half a pizza.

Palestrina 04-25-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonameslob (Post 4991515)
I still think McD's grilled chicken is super tasty (yeah, loaded with sodium, but it's actually CHICKEN and not pureed gross chicken meat like nuggets as far as I can tell)

Doubtful. Even if its not chicken byproduct like the nuggets are its most certainly thoroughly processed and injected with solutions containing salt, sugar and preservatives. If you read The End of Overeating by Kessler it goes into unfortunate details about the process of processing foods for chain restaurants.

nonameslob 04-25-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4991601)
Doubtful. Even if its not chicken byproduct like the nuggets are its most certainly thoroughly processed and injected with solutions containing salt, sugar and preservatives. If you read The End of Overeating by Kessler it goes into unfortunate details about the process of processing foods for chain restaurants.

All I meant is that it's actually a chicken breast (or other part of the chicken) rather than various pieces of chicken that have been mechanically processed and put back together again, which I think tastes disgusting. I'm aware of the preservatives and such.

Palestrina 04-25-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonameslob (Post 4991611)
All I meant is that it's actually a chicken breast (or other part of the chicken) rather than various pieces of chicken that have been mechanically processed and put back together again, which I think tastes disgusting. I'm aware of the preservatives and such.

I don't make a distinction between one being more acceptable than the other. It's nothing like a real chicken breast IMO. Not saying that I haven't eaten it or that it's not tasty, but it is what it is and I don't like to fool myself into thinking it's a wholesome meal.

nonameslob 04-25-2014 01:44 PM

Never said it was. This thread is about whether or not we can still eat fast food, and I explained what I like. Sorry if I was unclear in what "it's actually chicken" means. All of it is "actually chicken" with other ingredients in it, obviously, but I was apparently failing to find the words to describe the texture and that it's not ground up chicken pieces.

JohnP 04-25-2014 02:01 PM

I eat "fast food" all the time. Mostly from taqueria places and In and Out.

canadjineh 04-25-2014 02:01 PM

Hi, sure I can eat fast food... it just happens to be Wendy's 1/2 size Apple Pecan Grilled Chicken Salad with Blue cheese crumbles and Pomegranate dressing. Actually fits quite well into my maintenance plan... I eat it at least once a week. Sometimes with extra Blue cheese... :cheese:

Liana

katerina11 04-25-2014 02:11 PM

eating it right this minute!

southwest salad with double grilled chicken. oh man, it's SO GOOD

Olivia7906 04-25-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4991352)
Lately fast food has lost its allure for me. I can eat it but since I started practicing IE I don't feel inclined to. Probably because I allow myself to have what I really and truly desire and let's face it, there are much much much much better burgers out there than McDs so when I want a burger I have a real burger. Also, have you ever lost a few fast food fries in your car and then gone to clean out your car a few weeks later and those fries are just sitting there with no mold on them looking just like they did when you bought them? CREEPY!! Shouldn't food be perishable?

Yeees!!! It had been about 6 months later when I cleaned out my car and found a McD's fry one time. It looked like it had been just fried. I just cannot put that stuff in my body anymore (or my kids).

Palestrina 04-25-2014 02:23 PM

I know, I'm not trying to be a snob about it, I have eaten it and eat it in occasion though not McDonald's much, I always liked the fries darn it. I prefer BK and KFC which is no better at all. Nothing is really real food either way. Fast food has been my go to binge stuff.

pixelllate 04-25-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 4991619)
I don't make a distinction between one being more acceptable than the other. It's nothing like a real chicken breast IMO. Not saying that I haven't eaten it or that it's not tasty, but it is what it is and I don't like to fool myself into thinking it's a wholesome meal.

I know that you expressed that you are not intending to be a food snob, but sometimes saying things like "I don't like to fool myself" at least in that way can give off an impression that the other person fools themselves.

Wannabehealthy 04-25-2014 07:00 PM

The only fast food I can eat is McDonald's breakfast sandwiches. I wish I didn't like them. LOL

pixelllate 04-25-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchy (Post 4991509)
I always thought big mac sauce was just thousand island dressing, but here's a copycat ;)

Thanks!!! Now all I need to know is Cinnabon's secret recipe....bwahhahahaha :devil:

PatLib 04-25-2014 07:22 PM

I still eat it occasionally. I'm a bit mindful about my choices, I usually just get a kid's meal now. The burger, fries, apples and milk are actually quite filling, if I had really big workout I'll get an apple pie too. Usually after a big run or something.

LovesToTravel 04-25-2014 07:44 PM

I still get a hankerin' for fast food on occasion, usually a McDonalds cheeseburger, small fries, and coke. And as long as it's not a regular thing and I have access to a bathroom, I'm good. My stomach doesn't always agree with my meal choices, but fast food isn't the only culprit. :o

futureformerfisher 04-26-2014 11:04 PM

I go through "phases" where I'll only eat specific foods (I eat like a toddler, seriously) and there are phases where I eat absolutely no fast food, and phases where I eat nothing but fast food.

When I eat a lot of fast food, it doesn't bother me. But when I go months without eating any fast food, a single hamburger will destroy my stomach. I learned that years ago, ands I think it's due to tolerance. When I eat a lot of fast food, my body builds up a tolerance and can handle it. But when I go months without eating processed, greasy crap, that single hamburger literally makes me sick. And yet, that somehow never dissuades me.