General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Dinner during road trip, help?

Besides a sandwich I can't think of anything to bring with me to eat on a road trip to a job I have.

I will be leaving on Monday afternoon around 3:30, driving for 2-3 hours and then will have a dinner bread around 8 pm. I'll be working until 10pm and then driving back again 2-3hrs.

At some point in there I have to eat dinner. There is no refrigerator or microwave at the location. The dinner break will most likely be 15min. I want to bring something with me to eat, should I bring a meal? I usually bring snacks on jobs like banana, nuts, a protein bar. But I'll want something more substantial.

I do have a portable container where I can keep a refrigerated item but it can't be warmed up. That's the dilemma.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

A salad that incorporates a protein, like chicken or a Cobb salad? I've been eating a lot of "deconstructed" salads, so I'll have a dish of some chicken, artichokes, red peppers, olives, and possibly a few nuts. I'm a bit tired of lettuce right now. Keeps fine in my cooler and is not carb heavy, so no snooze fest after. Or, pick up a container of hummus and cut up some dukes, carrots, or peppers for dipping.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Not sure what your eating plan is, but a little cold pasta with chicken, and some veggies, and maybe a little parm cheese. Or veggies, cheese and some deli turkey, maybe with a few olives. Don't forget to have a few mints handy if you're having anything strongly flavored (or toothbrush/mouthwash).
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #4  

Thanks for the ideas, I may end up with a salad after all. Or bite the bullet and take a sandwich.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

That's a long time. I'd take lots of food with me and don't worry if you have some left over.

I'd suggest taking a bag of apples, carrots and bread. Cheese or egg sandwich. At the very least.

I'd probably take more than all that though.

Take a hot drink like a thermos of tea or hot water for making coffee. Unless you want to buy it on the road.

But there's plenty of things you could take. When i'm travelling with no refrigerator for months, i will cook spaghetti the night before for dinner and half of it will be for lunch the next day. In it i would put olive oil, can of good tuna you like a lot and parmesan cheese, garlic and good black pepper. at least 100g of dry spaghetti. Its really not so bad at all cold so long as you don't over cook the pasta.

But i find lots of things we usually eat hot are fine when they are cold when that's all there is.

You could also have hot soup in a thermos if your thermos is any good. Otherwise it might end up being just warm.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #6  

So I took with me a salad with a handful of black beans, lettuce, avocado, red peppers, carrots and ham. It turns out that 15min is NOT ENOUGH TIME TO EAT A SALAD!! How annoying! I was still hungry after eating 1/3 of it naturally, and totally annoyed! So next time sandwich it is!