Heart surgeon speaks about how sugar is causing heart disease, not fat..

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I say that sweets are ok occasionally in small amounts because I believe it. It's not because I want it to be ok, because I don't eat sweets because I don't like them. I prefer a savory taste. But there are some people who if they tell themselves they will never eat sweets again will just crave it all the more. So a piece of cake on their birthday or a couple cookies at Christmas are OK IMO. Sorry, but I'm old, and I doubt if I will be here another decade to see if I'm right or wrong.
    Carol, I just fell in love a little.

And, I absolutely agree with you.
  • Thanks, Durian. I have done a lot of research about heart disease and diabetes because I have both. I do agree with GlamourGirl that it is not all about saturated fat. Processed carbs are bad for you in excessive amounts. I just don't agree that it needs to be completely eliminated from a healthy diet. If one cookie is going to lead you to eat 20 cookies, then it's a problem for you. Fast food is not healthy. But if everyone else wants McDonalds you can go that one time, as long as it doesn't lead to lunching at McDonalds every day, or every week. It's my opinion that your diet should consist of as many fruits and vegetables as you can manage. No one ever got fat from eating too many fruits and veggies. No one ever had a heart attack from too many fruits and veggies. And that's the one food group that everyone is lacking in. No doctor will ever tell you to cut back on your vegetables. Eat whatever you want with it, in moderation.

While I agree that sugar is not good for you, my 71 YO DH grew up eating sweets. Donuts and coffee for breakfast, when in grade school. 5 boys all did that. I don't know what their mother was thinking. To this day, he has cookies, cakes, donuts in the house at all times. It's a good thing I don't like sweets. He has never had a weight problem, and his only med is a blood pressure pill and an aspirin. Sure, he's going to die from something, someday. But all this sugar, plus the red meat that he loves, he's not the worse for it. I would never recommend his lifestyle, but he's a lot better off than I am!

Each of us must make the choice that suits our particular situation.
  • Processed foods for the most part really messes with my stomach. I'm in pain about 10 mins afterwards from eating and spend a long time in the restroom as a result. So it's already a no-brainer for me.

Now sugar..that's a toughie....My biggest culprit is sweet southern tea everyday. I just cannot go without my tea. But I have been gradually cutting down on the sugar as I'm trying to get to the point where I'll have very little to no sugar in it. Once I get that accomplished, then heck, I'll see about everything else! LOL
  • I posted this independently over in carb counters. Very powerful and well written. If you don't know about Ancel Keys and John Yudkin look them up. I just bought Pure, White, and Deadly by Yudkin. Amazing intro by Robert Lustig who is also pretty amazing.

Apparently the reason fats are not a problem is they lead to large particle cholesterol which is benign. Study after study shows fat doesn't lead to heart disease. I asked my doctor about a test for cholesterol with particle size. She said it is 1,000 dollars and no insurance will pay. Why? Many people on drugs are perfectly healthy heart wise...until they get on the cholesterol drugs.
  • Quote: I say that sweets are ok occasionally in small amounts because I believe it. It's not because I want it to be ok, because I don't eat sweets because I don't like them. I prefer a savory taste. But there are some people who if they tell themselves they will never eat sweets again will just crave it all the more. So a piece of cake on their birthday or a couple cookies at Christmas are OK IMO. Sorry, but I'm old, and I doubt if I will be here another decade to see if I'm right or wrong.
    I'm sorry but believing something doesnt make it true. I am from the generation of evidence based medicine..so if its not proven, or disproven, then it is not just so because someone believes it with no evidence to support it. I know we all know someone that ate donuts everyday for 99 years and because they are still ok, then donuts/sugar must be ok right??...but no...just like we all know someone that smoked like a chimney and lived to 100...it doesnt mean smoking is healthy, it just means that person for some reason (genes?) was not susceptible to smoking.
    I understand that you think what you believe is relevant, but its not. Honestly, what I believe is not either. What its being uncovered through studies is. You may not be around in a decade, but I'm hoping I will be assuming no freak accidents, and I'm very excited to see this being uncovered. It truly could be groundbreaking in the battle against obesity...we stop telling people to eat LOW fat which is not working and start cutting out the real cause. Not to mention for those that "have no will power", we may find that it is truly an underlying addiction to sugar...and we can recommend abstenance, just like with alcoholics...anyway I cant wait for this to be studied more and more..