General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #16  

Height: 5'3"

Thanks pixel, I'll read that thoroughly as soon as I get home.

grinchygirl, I understand your frustration but as someone who troubleshoots tech I can say that when problem solving, we ask the most obvious questions and state the most obvious suggestions first. It's just easiest to eliminate the simple stuff first, that's why tech support will almost always ask, "Have you tried turning it off?"
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

My rant: the recycling bin is overflowing, and it's almost entirely my roommate's stuff (from when she had people over for NYE and a recent book club meeting) and she seems determined to not take it out. I take out the recycling at least 90% of the time. But I'm putting my foot down and NOT taking it out.

She's been at home almost all weekend. Still hasn't taken it out. Sigh.
Overall she's a really great roommate, but when it comes to things like emptying the dishwasher/taking out trash, it has to sit there for days before she'll do it. So the sink will fill up wish dirty dishes or the trash will be full to the brim. Why not just take it out???
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #18  

pixel, it's really interesting how they talked of what doctors generally say to their patients. That's what mine said and I'm not any better so I find it irritating.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #19  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollfaise View Post
Thanks pixel, I'll read that thoroughly as soon as I get home.

grinchygirl, I understand your frustration but as someone who troubleshoots tech I can say that when problem solving, we ask the most obvious questions and state the most obvious suggestions first. It's just easiest to eliminate the simple stuff first, that's why tech support will almost always ask, "Have you tried turning it off?"
Meh, I disagree. Turning off the computer is a good suggestion because it solves a massive amount of computer issues.

Asking me if I considered cutting out soda, assumes that I a) drink the stuff and b) haven't considered it. It's one too many assumptions for me. I much prefer doctors who ask if I have considered modifying my diet for weight loss, because change in diet, just like turning a computer off, is a good suggestion because it works for the mass majority of people.

I appreciate your sentiment, and do know that I realize most of the doctors I've spoken with are just trying to be helpful. But it irritates me because that's how obesity is too often perceived by the medical field in this country. It's fast food and soda. This is problematic, because all too often I encounter doctors who think I'm lying when I tell them I don't drink soda or eat out. And they think I'm lying because the culture surrounding obesity has taught them that people get fat because they are visiting McDonald's too often. Nevermind that the food pyramid we were all taught as kids is not healthy
grinchygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #20  

If they assume you're lying I would call them just bad. My own doctor kind of brushed me aside when I said I was constipated. She said I needed more fiber. A concentrated effort to get more fiber has yielded nothing. I'll enjoy this next appointment.....

It's strange how some doctors can be so fantastic while others are just meh.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Ugh totally blew it today I know why and I should have been more careful but I'm still whining about it and mad at myself. I think I know what triggered it though since I kind of accidentally ate gluten which triggers major mood swings and cravings. So I've been in a "I will consume all the food in the universe" kind of mood. Also went out for a fun day with my bf and decided to have him take pics of me with my new iphone. I don't know how he managed it, but I look HUGE in almost every photo. All except one I will have to edit/crop because I look so awful. I've just been feeling super insecure lately and that didn't help at all. Sigh I really thought the days of having to meticulously pose, crop, and edit every photo before posting it were done. I really have been happy with all the random photos people have taken of me the past couple months so this was kind of a blow. And I know its totally vain and I'm being dumb but grrr I just feel like a whale right now....although its probably just the stupid gluten talking

Last edited by Dottington; 01-20-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #22  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

co-worker rant!

In my group, there are 3 people. Our boss (who is boss man of other groups also and doesn't have the time to help our group too often) myself, and "Bob". We also have "Wendy" who is our back up person. I arrive at work at 7am. Sometimes I will come in as late as 7:15.

Since I started in this position, it's always been that I would be in at 7. Bob, who has one part time kid, and one new baby, was to arrive at 9, with the exception of a few days every other week (part time kid week) he would be in later.

This has not been the case. He saunters in between 9 and noon (more often than not, closer to noon than 9.) With no indication of what time he would be in on what day, always with some SUPER SUPER lame excuse. Oh my kid was awake, oh my dog pooped, oh I sneezed two times in a row... or something. (No, I am not a parent, but I do know that you shouldn't be using your kid as an excuse to come in late everyday, when we all know your wife is still home, not working and perfectly capable of taking care of baby while you get your @ss to work!!!)

Today he's supposed to be returning from 3 months of Paternity leave. It's nearly 11:30. Your first day back you think you could be bothered to show up before noon for crying out loud.

I'm not putting up with the crap anymore. Fortunately my boss was already wondering why Bob wasn't here yet, and I took the opportunity to ask him if he was still OK with Bob coming and going as he pleases, He said No and that he wasn't aware that Bob wasn't sticking to his original schedule. I had wrongly assumed that Bob had worked out a deal with our Boss to be able to come and go like that.

So thankfully, my boss is going to be working out a new schedule with Bob and I will not hesitate to let me boss know if he deviates from it.

There is no reason that I should be the one who takes care of the majority of the work, that all arrives before he does, leaving him to coast for the afternoon when everyone else has gone home.

End rant!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #23  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchygirl View Post
I just need to rant about soda/fast food reformers.

I'm supportive of all people who have decided to make healthier life choices, it's great. But, I hate when people's weight loss advice (ESPCIALLY doctor's) is to cut out soda, fast food, and junk food. As if every obese person is chowing down on massive amounts of Cheetos, while guzzling slurpees after 2 big macs. I'm sorry it's just not that way.
I understand this! I know a lot of people do accomplish weight loss by cutting soda or junk food or fast food or beer or whatever. But I do hate when people assume that all heavier people do that. I have a soda maybe twice a year. I don't eat junk food and I don't eat fast food except of the very rare occasion. I don't even eat much in the way of processed foods- nearly everything I eat is made from scratch at home using healthy ingredients. I exercise nearly every day. My habits are good. I'm still overweight.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #24  

I feel close to a breakdown. The phone keeps ringing, customers keep coming in, I'm backed up, people need help, my breaks are too close to times when I'm on backup so I gotta keep up, and I've already had a rude customer hassle me for not letting her skip the line.

Retail workers aren't inherently deserving of rude treatment. And for the record, I'm not even minimum wage and I'm educated so bugger off. -_-
Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Silverfire Good for you for standing up for yourself! It's definitely not fair to be stuck with extra work because others are slacking.

Dollfaise *hugs* I'm sorry today is rough. I hope it improved!

roommate finally (finally!) took out the recycling today. Thank goodness. I was going crazy.

My rant might turn into a yay but...we're supposed to get snow tomorrow. Potentially during morning commute. I would really *really* like to not have to drive in it. I'm coming off a three day weekend so it's not that I need another day off, I just hate the idea of trying to get to work in the snow. But I feel guilty taking a sick day.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #26  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

2 whines for me -

I'm sick of being the bottom of the dating barrel. I get people are attracted to who they are attracted to, I'm not saying it should be different… it's just sort of disheartening, knowing that I'm a good person, feel like I could bring a lot to a relationship, but basically nobody looks twice at me because I'm overweight. I lurk on a dating/relationship forum and the way fat people are talked about, it's like we're subhuman or something. I get that being overweight isn't ideal, but geez, I'm a person, not slug slime.

Other whine - OH MY GOD please stop asking me about my job hunt or if I've heard back yet from this or that. I know you're trying to be supportive, but *trust me*, if I'd heard any good news, you would know. EVERYONE would know. When I land a job, I'm telling the whole world. Until then, asking me about it only reminds me that the job hunt has so far been a complete failure, and not only that, but now I have to admit that to you unwillingly.
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #27  

Dollfaise - So glad that you checked out his website! I like that he warns against the instant gratification stuff - sure the Benefiber might give you rabbit poos right away, but it doesn't sound effective in the long run. I upped my fat, worked on my stress and ate generally low to moderate amounts of fiber and with some patience, my digestion got better. I love the feeling of choosing something against the doctor's advice...and afterwards getting the "good results" on doctor's tests! bwahhaha

s rosa - I'm from a culture/family where even very overweight is such a no-no, so I get you! I find that my attractiveness varies in different cultures/settings. I would ignore those anti-overweight forums (prob all ones started by my dear grannie LOL) - I figure no matter what weight we are, there will always be some sort of forum made to rant against any particular body type. Job searching is very depressing and its a total uphill battle. Simply searching sorta lowers my incentive/self-esteem somehow - so many qualifications for every job!

SODA!! - this reminds me of the tips to keep out houseflies! I had a problem and I searched for tips - isn't it obvious to keep a clean house? What about those of us who are just near an area with flies and you are very clean already?

Sorta rant - I intermittent fast and I am generally happy except for that 30 minutes before I break the fast. My mood is rather frightening then. Also, I am doing the right things and I am losing weight and yet, I fluctuate between feeling impatient and lecturing myself about how it would be a waiting game even if I knocked myself out for a week straight and slept away the calories.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 240/231/130

I need to rant about my foot!
After months (years?) of being an off-again, on-again couch potato, on Jan 6 I decided this was the year to change. No more yo-yo dieting and no more excuses not to exercise. I have 100 lbs to lose. I swore to myself that I would walk 30 minutes a day on the treadmill (and restrict myself to 1200 calories) and, I've done it faithfully until a week ago. Now, I've injured my right foot...and am so upset and frustrated. Don't know if it's a stress fracture or plantar fasciitis but...even with doing all the "right" things (rest, ice, compression, elevation) it's not better. I took two days off for total rest...and have walked...very, very slowly...since. But, I swear I can't see that it's improving. Any tips/ advice? Soooo upset and frustrated right now! AAAAARRGH!
Calypso214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #29  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Calypso214- Sorry about your foot. It's possible it's just a bone that needs to be popped back in. The foot is made up of a bunch of bones. About a year ago I started having bad pain in one foot and thought I had a stress fracture and it turned out it was just a bone out of place. It was heck getting it put back though, my doctor had to really pull hard on my foot. I had to hang on to the exam table for all I was worth to keep from being pulled right off of it, haha.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 240/231/130

I'm going to the doctor on Monday, and will ask if that could be what has happened! Thanks for sharing your experience! :-)
Calypso214 is offline   Reply With Quote