what's your favorite part about the holidays?

• Hi,

I thought I'd start an upbeat, positive thread to celebrate the joys of the season. I am sure that a lot of people find Christmas and Thanksgiving a bit stressful, but I think there is a lot of magic in the air too! I know many who don't observe the holidays but for those who do, what is your favorite part of it?

I love seeing family and friends, I only get to see them a few times a year so it's very special to me to be with them.

I enjoy going to Christmas Eve service with family, it is very special and beautiful to me.

I love sipping on hot cocoa or hot tea and sitting by a fireplace.

I think exchanging gifts is very sweet and I am always eager as to what others get.

I like singing Christmas Carols and listening to holiday music, it lifts up my spirits.

This time of year reminds me to be thankful and count my blessings. It also gives me renewed faith in my religion.

Well, I hope that others experience a blessed holiday season. Enjoy.
  • Great idea

I love the excitement with the kids on Christmas morning
    I love putting up the tree and counting the days
    I love having a home cooked, big family meal
    I love watching holiday movies
    I love having something positive to look forward to
  • I love the decorations and everything that comes with that warm, cheery environment. I've always wanted a peaceful, calming Christmas and I might get it this year. =)
  • I love cooking and I love doing the BIG Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for my family and the extended family that is in town who come over....I love doing Christmas baking activities with my kids and I've made Christmas cut out cookies with my kids every year with the same cookie cutters that I used as a child with my mom

I love shopping for presents for everyone and getting them all wrapped up, mailed off or under the tree

I love driving around looking at Christmas lights on everyone's homes

Last year we took a helicopter ride over town (part of a community fundraiser) to see all the holiday lights from the air

I love getting to take the Christmas break weeks off of work to be at home

And I love making the traditional recipes that have been passed down from my great-grandmother like krum torte
  • Great thread! I love the holidays!

- Windowshopping at Barneys
    - Going to the ligthing of the Christmas tree downtown
    - Going for a carol walk in Greenwich village
    - Seeing a performance of Handel's Messiah
    - Putting up the Christmas tree and decorations
    - gingerbread coffee, gingrebread cake, gingerbread..... I digress
    - Lit up houses
    - Taking my kid to see santa
    - the smell of cinnamon
    - Watching my favorite movie, Love Actually and other great Christmas movies
    - the smell of my Christmas tree
    - elf on a shelf
  • There's a magical time that lasts from a half hour before everyone's finished eating to half an hour after everyone has eaten. Any anxiety, tension, harried movement, and people pleasing has been replaced by the second bottle of wine, extended family talking politics (in a good way), kids doing their own thing upstairs, coffee brewing (mom thinks it's decaf LOL), and people scattered throughout the house. There is laughing, gossip, praise to the cook(s), and the promise to get together soon.
  • Christmas Story marathon on TBS while laying in bed.

Bath & Body Works Marshmallow Fireside candles.

I'm not fond of putting up the tree but it's pretty once it's done.

Watching my son open gifts.

When it snows Christmas night which is honestly the only time I want to see snow.
  • I do all of the decorating and while stringing lights on the bushes for 2 hours in the cold isn't my idea of a good time, it's worth it to see the finished product. The satisfaction of a job very well done, if I do say so myself.

Seeing all of the other houses decorated.

Sitting in the living room with the lights out and the Christmas tree all lit up and a couple of logs burning in the fireplace. So cozy and cheerful.

Stumbling upon that perfect gift for someone while shopping that makes me want to squee with joy in the middle of the store.

Christmas dinner with my family while we joke and tell stories.
  • Real eggnog with plenty of rum and fresh nutmeg on top.
    The Ann Arbor Boychoir Christmas concert.
    On the other end of the musical spectrum, Trans Siberian Orchestra.
    Watching my two house bunnies spazzing out and eating the bottom branches off the Christmas tree.
    The Abbey Cake fruitcake from the monks of Society of St. John, Jacob's Falls MI (store.societystjohn.com). Yeah, THIS is a fruitcake.
  • I like the snow on Christmas morning, if it snows.
    Presents are always fun!
    The scent of mulled cider candles.
    Decorating the tree. XD
  • The smell of pine front the tree and cinammon baking. The combination of those 2 is my very favorite smell of all time!
  • I love Christmas music, the smell of holiday candles, and (once the work of it is done) enjoying a well-decorated home.

Also every year I attend a Handel's Messiah concert which is one of my favorite things to do, ever.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

:cl ause:
  • I LOVE the decorating! Smell of fresh baked sugar cookies, even if it is a yankee candle, lol. Christmas music and just being with family on Christmas eve, oh, and when it's over, lol